sold my power tap for a disk wheel

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Old Junker, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

i sold my power tap for a disk wheel because i needed an extra 30 seconds off my tt best time of 58:30 now i am having second thoughts, i will be racing on labour day, so i still have a chance to buy another one:confused: why dont they just build a disk wheel what should i do?? your coments

Tags:

2. Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson New Member

Race with the disc and let us know if you break 58 minutes. - TF

3. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

i am just going to have to use heart rate and speed/cadence and the disk wheel

4. mr_mojo

mr_mojo New Member

why didn't you just borrow a disk from someone for that one race and see if it helped..

5. otb4evr

otb4evr New Member

Why not just pace it using perceived effort?

My best time ever was done with just a stopwatch...

BTW I don't think I picked up 30 seconds by trading my PT wheel for a disc...

Jim

6. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

thats what im afraid of:eek:

7. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

i wish i could have borrowed one even for just 10k i may have made up my mind right there

8. goneskiian

goneskiian New Member

Why didn't you just buy some wheel covers for that PT wheel?

Are they not as aero as a disc?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/closeup.asp?cid=25&pid=185&offset=0

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to the business in this link in any way.

I'm curious as to what others think of these as I'm considering ditching my disc and going this route so I can use my PT to TT (hmm, that ryhmes, cool).

Cheers!
    -Ian

9. bikefuego

bikefuego New Member

They work fine and are inexpensive ($60-70?), but the way they're put together is a little cheesey. If you buy one, make sure you use electrical tape on the outside of the screws for extra protection against them popping off. They do take a few minutes to put together but they are faster than a regular powertap wheel.

10. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

But when he gets there the question will be. Was it really because of the disk?

11. Thorman

Thorman New Member

I and several other people I race with have been using the CH Aero cover for a few years and have never had a problem with screws coming loose.

There's data available to show the differences between a disk and cover.
    http://www.biketechreview.com/tunnel_main.htm

12. bspurgeon

bspurgeon New Member

I bought a cover from Wheelbuilder.com. It's a CH Aero cover cut for the PT hub. I have a Renn disc as well. Thus far (2 training TTs, 1 race), I have not noticed a big difference between the two except my PT wheel with the cover is nearly 500 grams heavier, and "feels" sluggish going up hill (short climbs). For a real race, I think I'll flip a coin. There is just a bit of mental anguish with the cover compared to the standard disc. Irrational, but it's there! :rolleyes:

13. rjjasick

rjjasick New Member

For those of you riding with the Aero Covers, just an FYI that if you race USCF races next year you won't be able to use them.

IMHO the disc is more lustworthy to look at than a PT. But then again I see people I ride with drooling over my SL.

14. xcmntgeek

xcmntgeek New Member

Only in big qualifying races and UCI stuff (in which you haven't been able to use them for some time).

Justin

15. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

my friend who also purchased a powertap the same time as me and hates doing TT's has offered to lend me his powertap:) as he thinks i was crazy for getting rid of it:eek: , now i am looking into wheel covers , so i am back to making a lastminute decision come race day :confused: .
    i am only racing for myself not a placing so if the difference is only 10 seconds then power seems to be the way to go, might be different for those looking to break 53 or 54minutes

16. otb4evr

otb4evr New Member

Junker,

You are burning Mental Matches...

Jim

17. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

There is no generic answer to your question. It turns on three issues, all of which are specific to you and your equipment and your course. First, how good are you at managing your power at and near your FTP? Can you put a piece of masking tape over the watts display of your PT and ride within a couple of watts of your target power for an hour? Or, do you (like most of us) start out too hard and then have to back off in the 2nd half, resulting in a fairly large difference between AP and NP? Second, what is the course (grades and normal wind conditions)? If the course has numerous grade and wind changes, it argues for a variable power pacing strategy (which is much more difficult to manage without a PM). Third, what is the drag difference between the wheels you are considering? There are test data available on most wheels at biketechreview.com. In the end, it comes down to a set of computations and a probability distribution of predicted outcomes (with all due respect to those who think it comes down to attitude, sweat in the eyes, burning in the lungs and all that "You can do it if you think you can do it!" stuff). I advocate making cold, unemotional decisions about equipment and strategy, then going out and executing the strategy. Anyway, there's always the last 5 mins when you have the finish line in sight to ride your guts out, cross the line and pass out.

18. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

But whatever you do, don't make equipment changes at the last minute before a big event! :eek:

Just in case you didn't have enough things to worry about before now... ;) :p

19. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

59:24 :( i used the disk because it was raining, i did not want to get the powertap wet especially since it wasnt mine.

i have a chance to do another one next week

20. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

i did a 56:30 with the powertap, (borrowed without disc covers) no rain, no wind and a PB for me.:) weather was perfect for september.