Solder Track Cog to Ex Freewheel Hub?

Jun 6, 2006
Has anyone ever tried to convert an old freewheel style tenspeed hub to fixed gear by soldering a track cog and maybe a couple of lockrings to the hub?

I am quite certain that soldering temperature is a lot lower than the heat which would take the temper out of the steel bearing cups. I know they do solder things to hardened steel in other applications.

So, how about it? Has anyone tried it?

If the old hub is threaded, all you have to do is spin on the track cog, and spin on a BB lockring also. Use Loctite for safety.

I propose the method as a way to make braking more reliable. I would use it with lockrings anyway because a track cog strikes me as too narrow for a good solder bond.

I would flux the hub threads, tighten the cog against my shims, fill the rest of the threads up with lockrings, and sweat solder into the threads until it came out between the hub and last shim. I suppose the last shim would have to have a vent filed into it where the last thread ended against the hub to allow sweat soldering.

I have moved a cone nut and locknut together while trying to tighten the cone nut against the locknut without gripping the locknut with a wrench. It may also be possible to turn a cog and lockring off with braking force.

Sheldon Brown's page on singlespeeds states that he feels dual hand brakes should be employed on a fixed gear conversion which uses an old freewheel hub.

Maybe you are just joking but in case you are not…. This is a crazy idea. Don’t take offence, but clearly you have no idea what you are doing and should leave your bike alone. There are adaptors available to convert freewheel hubs to fixed but these are really only a compromise as well. Stop now and leave such things to people who know what they are doing.

Jay.

otherworld said:
Maybe you are just joking but in case you are not…. This is a crazy idea. Don’t take offence, but clearly you have no idea what you are doing and should leave your bike alone. There are adaptors available to convert freewheel hubs to fixed but these are really only a compromise as well. Stop now and leave such things to people who know what they are doing.
Jay.
Be nice Jay

You dont need the solder or the flux or a flux capacitor.

If the hub has threads the cog will thread on. Chainwhip it on there like a mother then get a BB lockring and thread it on, use the right tool to tighten the lockring.

Most of the hubs Ive seen have room for one cog and one ring.

make sure you get a good cog with a wide threaded area, (wider than the cog teeth)

Good luck