Solid axle for Campy Record rear hub

Keven Ruf

Guest
I want to build a wheel based on a Record high-flange thread-on hub for a track bike. Currently it
has a quick release axle. Can I buy a solid axle to replace that one? Any suggestions on where to
find this axle? Will the cones from the quick release axle work on the solid?

--Keven.

Keven Ruf wrote:

> I want to build a wheel based on a Record high-flange thread-on hub for a track bike. Currently it
> has a quick release axle. Can I buy a solid axle to replace that one? Any suggestions on where to
> find this axle? Will the cones from the quick release axle work on the solid?

Campagnolo uses 10 mm x 26 tpi. Axles are easy, see:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html#axles

The required axle nuts, however are a problem. Gen-you-wine Campagnolo track nuts are obscenely
expensive.

We carry a very nice EAI clone track axle set, complete with cones, locknuts and very nice track
nuts. $29.95 for the whole thing.

This is the most economical way to do what you desire. They're very good quality, beautifully made.
Not on our Website yet, but you can order by email or by phone.

Sheldon "Fixer" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
| Immigration is not a problem to solve, | but a sign of a successful nation. | --George W. Bush |
+-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

On 9 Apr 2003 09:56:33 -0700, [email protected] (Keven Ruf) wrote:

>I want to build a wheel based on a Record high-flange thread-on hub for a track bike. Currently it
>has a quick release axle. Can I buy a solid axle to replace that one? Any suggestions on where to
>find this axle? Will the cones from the quick release axle work on the solid?
>
>--Keven.

Where else?

<http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html#axles

lindnkev-<< I want to build a wheel based on a Record high-flange thread-on hub for a track bike.
Currently it has a quick release axle. Can I buy a solid axle to replace that one?

Yes.

<< Any suggestions on where to find this axle?

we have them with locknuts-

<< Will the cones from the quick release axle work on the solid?

yes as long as the axle is a 10 by 26 threading, which the one we have is...

Thanks for the informative replies. I will be ordering this set up soon.

The axle, is it adaptable to a 120, 126 and 130 mm frame? It seems by adding spacers between the
lock not and the cone nut, and having a long enough threaded axle, it should fit any frame size. Am
I correct in this regard? This is important to me because I am going to build a wheel for track but
put it into a road bike with horizontal drop outs.

On 11 Apr 2003 08:34:29 -0700, [email protected] (Keven Ruf) wrote:

>Thanks for the informative replies. I will be ordering this set up soon.
>
>The axle, is it adaptable to a 120, 126 and 130 mm frame? It seems by adding spacers between the
>lock not and the cone nut, and having a long enough threaded axle, it should fit any frame size. Am
>I correct in this regard? This is important to me because I am going to build a wheel for track but
>put it into a road bike with horizontal drop outs.

From the Harris website it appears these axles are 174 mm long. If your dropouts are 6mm thick (is
that about right) that leaves 16mm (about 5/8") on each side with 130mm spacing.

Harold

On 12 Apr 2003 12:24:02 GMT, [email protected] (Dove parlano prima di pensare) wrote:

>Keven-<< The axle, is it adaptable to a 120, 126 and 130 mm frame?
>
>Depends on the axle...the ones in Suzue track hubs are long enough to space to
>130mm...

That's not my experience. Let's do the arithmetic:

Suzue's Pro Max hubs are fitted with 161 mm axles (overall length), of which 120 mm is normally
occupied by hubshell, cones, spacers and locknuts. This would leave 41mm of axle protruding beyond
the locknuts
(20.5 mm on each side). Changing the hub spacing to 130 mm OLD would reduce the axle protruding
beyond the locknut on each side to 15.5 mm. Subtract another 5 mm from each side to account for
the thickness of each forkend (or road dropout since this is apparently for a road bike, and
those on some frames may actually be thicker than 5 mm) and you're left with only 10.5 mm of
axle threads on each end to engage nuts that are 18 mm thick apiece.

It may be that full thread engagement of each track axle nut is not absolutely necessary, but I
wouldn't feel as comfortable as you to suggest that it can cavalierly be reduced to less than 60% of
the fasteners' full thread contact.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles Miami,
Florida 305-273-4440
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
year online

J Dacey-<< That's not my experience. Let's do the arithmetic:

Peter Chisholm wrote:

> Thanks for the 'arithmetic' lesson but I didn't mention the Promax hubs, I meant the Suzue basic
> track hubs which do have a long enough axle to space to
> 130mm...

That's correct.

> And I think they are 10 by 26, like Campagnolo, not sure tho but I am sure Mr Dacey will correct
> me on this one as well....

Actually 9.5 x 26 (a.k.a. 3/8" x 26.) These hubs are pretty decent except for the fecal
serrated-flange axle nuts they come with.

Fortunately QBP has nice quality track nuts for a reasonable price, a very worthwhile upgrade.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed.html#bolts

Sheldon "Sells These By The Ton" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------+
| It is good to learn from your mistakes; | It is better to learn from the mistakes of others. |
+---------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

On 13 Apr 2003 13:14:18 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>J Dacey-<< That's not my experience. Let's do the arithmetic:
>
>Suzue's Pro Max hubs are fitted with 161 mm
>
>Thanks for the 'arithmetic' lesson but I didn't mention the Promax hubs,

No, you just said "Suzue track" which reasonable people might assume meant all their track models. I
didn't want to belabor the issue earlier, but you should know that the Pro Max-SB model comes fitted
with a rear axle that's slightly shorter (about 159 mm) yet. I've got a page that reviews Suzue's
current track line - perhaps you'd find this link informative:
http://www.businesscycles.com/thub-suz.htm

>I meant the Suzue basic track hubs which do have a long enough axle to space to
>130mm...

The newest generation of the SIL-SP model (the real name for what you call "basic") that have
flip/flop-fixed/free rears that I've seen have 170 mm axles that *are* long enough to respace to 130
OLD with the standard axle. You should be mindful, though that there were (and perhaps still are) a
large base of earlier versions that came spaced at 117 OLD and had axles much shorter than 170 and
will therefore likely be pushed past the limit if you space them to 130.

>And I think they are 10 by 26, like Campagnolo, not sure tho but I am sure Mr Dacey will correct me
>on this one as well....

The Pro Max-SB and SIL-SP rear hub models are fitted with 3/8"x26tpi axles. It's listed on my page
of reference specifications for track gear at http://www.businesscycles.com/tr-refspec.htm

Feel free to bookmark it for future reference. We even have a cool new "favorites" icon for people
who use the microsoft browser (not as cool as Sheldon's icon, though - he's got a picture of
Johannes Brahms!).