Solid inner tubes for a cyclist who is NOT into racing?

flameburns623

Jul 25, 2007
For the last couple of years, Wal-Mart has sold "solid" inner tubes. One of the biggest disincentives to riding is that no matter how carefully I ride, something leads to flattened tires. The solid tubes would obviously add a few ounces of weight to the ride--but I'd never have to worry about flat tires. Any thoughts on this?

All of the above plus the plenitude of various types of cocklebur, bramble, and thorn which spring up from any crevice or patch of dirt.

Should probably explain my mention in the title of racing: am mainly interested in bycyling as a healthier way to do local errands, and just for general fitness. Not really the sort who enjoys competitiveness, so even though solid tubes are almost certainly going to add a bit of weight to the ride . . . that isn't a serious drawback for me.

My thoughts are it would feel like shyte but I'll never know cause I'll never try. When it comes to tires I'm a bit like the princess and the pea easily feeling differences between high end tires like the Conti GP and a Vittoria CX. I imagine a solid tube would minimize flats but the price to pay sounds huge, even forgetting weight, as I imagine the ride quality would be horrific.

Edit: for purely utilitarian purposes (like a delivery bike) it may be ok, but you'll loose some of the "joy" of riding if it's for exercise or pleasure.

Reactions: cyclintom
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-No-Mor-Flats-Bike-Inner/product-reviews/B001UGAJYA/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

These are probably OK for someone who doesn't care about riding fast or far, but there are a lot of better options before jumping to these. Slow, heavy tires take some of the joy out of riding. Less joyfull riding = less riding.

A good resillient set of tires, tire liners and/or thorn resistant tubes would be far better than solid tubes.

No-Mo-Flats are an annoying piece of ****.
Can't adjust the air volume, so you can't modify your ride, takes motorcycle tire levers to get the damn things off once they're on, they're heavy as ****, need I go on?
I commute on bikes virtually every day, the biggest enemies being broken glass and goatheads that could pass for miniature railroad spikes.
I'm currently using Schwalbe commuter tires plus tire liners plus Slime in the tubes, keeps my flats to a minimum.

I looked at something like that, but made for sports wheelchairs. They came at uncut length and were supposed to be cut to fit. they also simulated a higher pressure than the no-mor-flats. But when the company found out that I wanted them for a bicycle they didn't want to sell me any, saying that the simulated pressure was too high for bike usage. When I quoted some typical narrow road tires presures, they just stopped responding.

Anyhow, I've run solid tires from greentyre for two seasons now instead. the impression is kinda mixed. Getting them on was a beast of a job, but once there, there really hasn't been any big issues. They're a bit squirrely on cobbles, and when crossing thick lane markers. When rolling off a curb or over a moderate pothole it does feel like landing on the rim. But on decent road, the ride is a non-issue. And the feeling of rolling over a sea of broken glass w/o a care is quite nice.

For my commuter I plan to go back to clinchers, as the greentyres gets so darn hard in winter temperatures, which is when they're most beneficial anyhow as that's when fixing a flat by the roadside is the most annoying. Summertime, it's just a bit of a nuisance.

but for a warmer climate, and perhaps shorter rides, I'd have no qualms about using them again.

Originally Posted by flameburns623 .

For the last couple of years, Wal-Mart has sold "solid" inner tubes. One of the biggest disincentives to riding is that no matter how carefully I ride, something leads to flattened tires. The solid tubes would obviously add a few ounces of weight to the ride--but I'd never have to worry about flat tires. Any thoughts on this?
[SIZE= 11pt]Don’t do it!!!!!!!!!!! They ride terrible and make you work harder, I had to sell ‘em many years ago to people who insisted, there are much better solutions[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]Consider instead:[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt] Impregnated, (carbon etc.), fabric liners for you tires. They kept me flat-less on my commuter bike for five years and through several sets of tires. [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]Armored/anti flat tires, most companies make them. I’m favoring the Panaracer Pasela these days they have a supple sidewall so they ride smooth than most and they are “cheap” and come in both wire and foldable versions[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]Slime or Tufo sealant, I’ve used Slime on my Mtn. bike and Tufo on my “sew-ups” (tubulars to younger folks) THEY WORK! but can be messy[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]Wipe your tires off when you notice you’re going through glass etc. (it often takes time to develop a flat) [/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]There used to be little plastic coated gadgets that mounted on brake bolts that wiped automatically, might still be around, but noisy[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]NOTE: Wear gloves and hook your thumb or little finger on the seat stay so your hand won’t get sucked into the seat tube/tire gap.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 11pt]Inspect your tires when you take breaks or when you put your bike away, you’ll be surprised of the glass chips etc. you can pry/pick out of your tire with a knife point, awl, etc. before you actually get a flat[/SIZE]

It is extremely difficult to get "solid" (foam rubber) tubes that behave well with the weight of your specific bike and your weight. To prevent common flats buy better tires. As a suggestion https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/vittoria-rubino-pro-iv-speed-road-tire/12070148.html

At any rate, I've run strong tires from green tyre for two seasons now all things considered. the impression is somewhat blended. Getting them on was a monster of a task, yet when there, there truly hasn't been any huge issues. They're a piece squirrely on cobbles, and while crossing thick path markers. While moving off a control or over a moderate pothole it seems like arriving on the edge. Yet, on fair street, the ride is a non-issue. Furthermore, the sensation of turning over an ocean brand of broken glass w/o a consideration is very great.