Solida cranks...not Sora for sure

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Carlos, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    solida cranks?

    soo... i was working on this older road bike. it needs pedals. the threads in the crank arms look
    relatively good, but i can't get any pedals to thread in. what's up with that? the cranks have
    "SOLIDA" stamped along the side.

    regular 9/16" pedals seem to thread in for about half a turn before they bind up. 1/2" pedals are
    way too small. is there some non-standard thread pitch for road bike pedals that i am not aware of?
    i'm reasonably sure that these do require 9/16" pedals, but no pedals i've tried will thread in...

    web searches have yielded basically nothing on this topic.

    help?

    Tags:

  2. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > solida cranks?
    >
    > soo... i was working on this older road bike. it needs
    pedals. the threads in
    > the crank arms look relatively good, but i can't get any
    pedals to thread in.
    > what's up with that? the cranks have "SOLIDA" stamped
    along the side.

    > regular 9/16" pedals seem to thread in for about half a
    turn before they bind
    > up. 1/2" pedals are way too small. is there some
    non-standard thread pitch for
    > road bike pedals that i am not aware of? i'm reasonably
    sure that these do
    > require 9/16" pedals, but no pedals i've tried will thread
    in...

    > web searches have yielded basically nothing on this topic.
    >
    > help?

    Metric threaded 14mm x 1.25mm?

    I have a set of SR alloy quill pedals with metric threads if you're interested.......

  3. carlos wrote:
    > solida cranks?
    >
    > soo... i was working on this older road bike. it needs pedals. the threads in the crank arms look
    > relatively good, but i can't get any pedals to thread in. what's up with that? the cranks have
    > "SOLIDA" stamped along the side.
    >
    > regular 9/16" pedals seem to thread in for about half a turn before they bind up. 1/2" pedals
    > are way too small. is there some non-standard thread pitch for road bike pedals that i am not
    > aware of? i'm reasonably sure that these do require 9/16" pedals, but no pedals i've tried will
    > thread in...
    >
    > web searches have yielded basically nothing on this topic.

    These could very well be the obsolete French size 14 mm x 1.25.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

    and: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html

    Sheldon "Nous En Avons" Brown +------------------------------------+
    | A good plan today is better than | a perfect plan tomorrow. | --David Mamet | (Wag the Dog,
    | Bulworth) |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:09:05 -0500, carlos wrote:

    > solida cranks?
    >
    > soo... i was working on this older road bike. it needs pedals. the threads in the crank arms look
    > relatively good, but i can't get any pedals to thread in. what's up with that? the cranks have
    > "SOLIDA" stamped along the side.
    >
    > regular 9/16" pedals seem to thread in for about half a turn before they bind up.

    I don't mean to be rude, but do check that you have the correct side pedal and crank, since the left
    side is left-hand thread.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "carlos" <blacksheepQstic.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > solida cranks?
    >
    > soo... i was working on this older road bike. it needs pedals. the threads
    in
    > the crank arms look relatively good, but i can't get any pedals to thread
    in.
    > what's up with that? the cranks have "SOLIDA" stamped along the side.
    >
    > regular 9/16" pedals seem to thread in for about half a turn before they
    bind
    > up. 1/2" pedals are way too small. is there some non-standard thread pitch
    for
    > road bike pedals that i am not aware of? i'm reasonably sure that these do require 9/16" pedals,
    > but no pedals i've tried will thread in...

    Solida (IIRC, the other half of Stronglight?) are French-made cranks. They were at one time among
    the three most popular brands and were made in both
    9/16" and 14mm pedal threading. They are not marked for thread. Do you have the pedals which came in
    them originally? Standard thread pedal spindles are marked R and L . French threaded metric pedals
    are stamped D and S ( or D and I for Zeus). It is trivially simple to pass a 9/16" tap through a
    14mm crank, making it standard thread. You're only removing 0.0113 inches of metal. Any competent
    LBS can do this in a few minutes and on the bicycle.

  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    got it, DLJ.

    yeah....i got the right pedals onteh right side..

    and the threads are metric.

    thansk all.

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:09:05 -0500, carlos wrote:
    >

    >> solida cranks?
    >>
    >>soo... i was working on this older road bike. it needs pedals. the threads in the crank arms look
    >>relatively good, but i can't get any pedals to thread in. what's up with that? the cranks have
    >>"SOLIDA" stamped along the side.
    >>
    >>regular 9/16" pedals seem to thread in for about half a turn before they bind up.
    >

    > I don't mean to be rude, but do check that you have the correct side pedal and crank, since the
    > left side is left-hand thread.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  8. "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I mistyped the French D and G pedal spindle markings

    Not thinking in Latin, then (dexter/sinister)? ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  9. Bantae

    Bantae Guest

    And if your competent LBS won't, than Andy does a great job. I sent him my Stronglight 93 cranks a
    few weeks ago and had them back in no time.

    Eric

    > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >It is trivially simple to pass a 9/16" tap through a 14mm crank,
    making it
    >standard thread. You're only removing 0.0113 inches of metal. Any competent LBS can do this in a
    >few minutes and on the bicycle.

  10. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    thanks again.....