Solo Riding: Structured Training Advice?

gofearstan

Jun 30, 2015
I do a considerable amount of my riding solo, and I'm looking for advice on getting a more structured training regimen to gain sustained speed.

In terms of goals, I want to train specifically for a series of local 15-mile time trial events, but also to gain the confidence to do more fast group riding. To make a long story short, I went down/was taken out in a group ride last year and went back to the solo riding I'd always felt more comfortable doing. Showed for another one this spring and was nearly taken out again, and back to solo it was. While I enjoy the camaraderie of it, I'd like to have the speed to get to and stay at/near the front to lessen the risk, and also be able to lay back or catch back up to the pack when I choose not to blow a stop sign or sail over train tracks at 30+ like the rest of the pack. So in essence, I want to be more prepared to ride with fast groups on my own terms and not get dropped.

I have roughly 1,400 base miles in thus far (175-200 per week), with a few hard effort rides mixed in, but no structured intervals to date. I have a "group" I ride with that does TT-style/no-draft/no pace-line rides on Wednesdays that are hard efforts, and then I do a moderate-pace long ride every Saturday. The other 3-4 days each week (I try to ride at least 5 days every week) are generally just gaining mileage or recovery rides but not really doing any form of specific, structured speed training. With this schedule in mind, where should I mix in interval-type training, and in what amount to start? For TT's and just getting faster in general, are intervals going to accomplish more than simply going out and pushing as hard as I can for 20 miles a couple times a week? I've been shooting for 30-35 miles on weeknight rides, but I have to assume intentionally cutting back on mileage but increasing effort is going to net greater results, correct?

Since this is posted in the power training forum, can I assume that you have a power meter? If you do have a power meter, can you describe your current rides in a bit more detail in terms of average power and your max sustainable power at, say, 5min, 20min, 60min? Total miles doesn't really tell me much about what sort of efforts you are doing.

Reactions: steve
Yes, intervals are what you want, and do more good than just trying to ride hard for 20 miles, which is maybe the least bang for the buck. Buy a copy of Carmichael's The Time Crunched Cyclist. That's what you want, even if you aren't that time-crunched

After researching around, it seemed that 30 second intervals with 2-3 minutes of active recovery is a good place to start, but I found pretty quick that my fitness level is above that point. Maybe more like 1 minute on, 2 off, then working up to 1 on, 1 off?

To that end, is there a specific way to approach recovery when it comes to intervals? Do you want to fully recover between each push, or is there value in simply punishing yourself and pushing again before you're recovered? In my experience, this is going to cause each interval to be slower than the previous, because you're still spent, but does this aid in boosting LT and force the body to adapt to recovering faster?

They're both beneficial and they will both raise your FTP. I think that if you're training for a TT, you would want to do the shorter, harder efforts. They will pull your FTP up and just as importantly, will get you used to dosing your effort when you're above threshold, and uncomfortable.

I recommend to get Carmichael's book. It's a great introduction to structured training. It's geared to power but can also be done by HR, or even rate of perceived exertion (RPE). I had great results using it to train for a hill climb TT and I just used a HRM (and diet )