Solvang Century Destruction Derby

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Gordon Hamachi, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. I just got back from the Solvang Century in Solvang,
    California and was apalled at the number of serious injuries
    my friends and I witnessed.

    The first major injury I saw happened early in the ride when
    the carbon fork broke on a new-looking Giant bike. The rider--
    a woman in a Team in Training jersey--went down hard and
    there was a lot of blood. Both fork blades snapped at about
    the mid-point. I didn't see any potholes, rocks, brick
    walls, or other obstacles that would explain why the fork
    catastrophically failed, but you can believe that it made me
    check my own older bike's carbon fork for cracks.

    The second major injury I witnessed happened just before the
    turn onto Highway 1. A male rider on a red bike started
    skidding sideways and fell heavily; his rear wheel may have
    locked due to some mechanical failure. The rider's eyes
    remained open the whole time, but he was unresponsive for
    several minutes. A motorist stopped and I asked her to call
    for help. Not only did she call 911, she also provided a
    blanket to put over the victim.

    A friend on the 50-mile ride saw a head-on collision when
    one rider ascending a hill made a U-turn and was struck by a
    rider descending the hill. Both riders were knocked
    unconscious.

    That makes at least 4 serious accidents out of 4,000 to
    5,000 participants in this single-day event (I think I saw
    numbers as high as 4,800). Is this a typical accident rate
    for an early season century?

    Are carbon forks supposed to last forever, or should they be
    replaced periodically?

    Tags:

  2. "Gordon Hamachi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just got back from the Solvang Century in Solvang,
    > California and was apalled at the number of serious
    > injuries my friends and I witnessed.
    >
    > The first major injury I saw happened early in the ride
    > when the carbon fork broke on a new-looking Giant bike.
    > The rider--a woman in a Team in Training jersey--went
    > down hard and there was a lot of blood. Both fork blades
    > snapped at about the mid-point. I didn't see any
    > potholes, rocks, brick walls, or other obstacles that
    > would explain why the fork catastrophically failed, but
    > you can believe that it made me check my own older bike's
    > carbon fork for cracks.
    >
    > The second major injury I witnessed happened just before
    > the turn onto Highway 1. A male rider on a red bike
    > started skidding sideways and fell heavily; his rear wheel
    > may have locked due to some mechanical failure. The
    > rider's eyes remained open the whole time, but he was
    > unresponsive for several minutes. A motorist stopped and I
    > asked her to call for help. Not only did she call 911, she
    > also provided a blanket to put over the victim.
    >
    > A friend on the 50-mile ride saw a head-on collision when
    > one rider ascending a hill made a U-turn and was struck by
    > a rider descending the hill. Both riders were knocked
    > unconscious.
    >
    > That makes at least 4 serious accidents out of 4,000 to
    > 5,000 participants in this single-day event (I think I saw
    > numbers as high as 4,800). Is this a typical accident rate
    > for an early season century?
    >
    > Are carbon forks supposed to last forever, or should they
    > be replaced periodically?

    Holy cow! I had no idea that was going on! I'm glad I left
    the Inn at
    6:30am and remained throughout the ride in a rather small
    pack [sometimes n=1] and avoided the "destruction." My
    heart goes out to those injured. Otherwise, it was a
    beautiful day.

    MdP