Some advice for a rim, hub, light wheel, lighter bike

big_wheel

Guest
Hi,
well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
and I'm not very sure where to begin;
- first, i am looking for a wheelset
i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
- second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
- third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
does carbon make the grade and weight gain
-fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
-five, things i did not think
I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
lbs

I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
Thanks for your suggestions

Denis

Hi Denis... not sure why you feel the need to save 700g, but I guess
there are worse things you could obsess about... especially in the
winter. 1550g wheelset are very easy to come by. I wouldn't get a
carbon bar or stem... or seatpost for that matter. Get a Thomson post
if you can get one for a reasonable price. I've been riding a Forte
stem that weighs 135g for ~20,000 miles and it hasn't broken yet, so I
guess I could recommend that since it cost $20. Latex tubes should
reduce your rolling resistance by at least 10%... which will help more
than losing 700g... if you don't mind pumping them ever day.

You might want to tell us where you live and how much you weigh to get
more intelligent answers.

big_wheel aka Denis who? wrote:
> Hi,
> well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> - first, i am looking for a wheelset...

To gain the most weight on a bicycle by changing the wheels, you will
want the Hed Stalingrad wheelset. See
<http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/hedstalingrad.pdf> and
<http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9673.0.html>.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

big_wheel wrote:
> Hi,
> well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> -five, things i did not think
> I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
> lbs
>
> I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> Thanks for your suggestions

Without knowing which wheels you have now yes lighter wheels are
probably available, 1550 is not extreme. Look at Velocity Aeroheads on a
pair of Record hubs for example, built with 14-16 spokes rear, 15-17 front.

Using Michelin Pro Lite for race day saves 90g under your Kryliums.

Not much point to exotic cassettes. Both carbon bars and ultralight
aluminum bars have checkered service history. Are you using Michelin's
65g tubes now?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Nov 27, 9:37 pm, "big_wheel" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> -five, things i did not think
> I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
> lbs
>
> I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> Thanks for your suggestions
>
> Denis

denis,
check the topolino wheels. they are about 1360 but they are strong and
comfortable. i have them in my store. i can give you an incredible
price of just $850
the most important parts to increase speed is reducing weight in
rotating mass: wheels, rims, and gears.
other small changes, tubes will save you 20 grams from just $20,
pedals 50 grams for $200, saddle up to 200 grams for $200
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

big_wheel said:
[...]

Thompson stem and seat post are reliable and relatively low weight.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

Site will give you some of the real weights of rims, nipples, spokes, and hubs.
(tires & tubes too, etc.)
Though they aren't listed on Weight Weenies site, White Industries H1 road hubs add up to 300 grams without QRs. They use 6801 front, & rear 6902 +6802 cartridge bearings. Nice quality hubs that are durable and easy to maintain ... if you can find the cartridge bearings.
Sapim Laser spokes aren't listed on the site, but come in at the same weight as CX-Ray spokes (less expensive, but lesss aerodynamic).
Latex tubes work fine but they lose air relatively quickly.

On 27 nov, 21:52, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Denis... not sure why you feel the need to save 700g, but I guess
> there are worse things you could obsess about... especially in the
> winter. 1550g wheelset are very easy to come by. I wouldn't get a
> carbon bar or stem... or seatpost for that matter. Get a Thomson post
> if you can get one for a reasonable price. I've been riding a Forte
> stem that weighs 135g for ~20,000 miles and it hasn't broken yet, so I
> guess I could recommend that since it cost $20. Latex tubes should
> reduce your rolling resistance by at least 10%... which will help more
> than losing 700g... if you don't mind pumping them ever day.
>
> You might want to tell us where you live and how much you weigh to get
> more intelligent answers.

i live in Quebec city and weight 145 pounds

Denis

On 27 nov, 23:28, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> big_wheel wrote:
> > Hi,
> > well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> > and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> > - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> > i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> > for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> > rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> > with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> > - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> > does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> > - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> > does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> > -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> > -five, things i did not think
> > I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
> > lbs

> > I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> > Thanks for your suggestions

> Without knowing which wheels you have now yes lighter wheels are
> probably available, 1550 is not extreme. Look at Velocity Aeroheads on a
> pair of Record hubs for example, built with 14-16 spokes rear, 15-17 front.
>
> Using Michelin Pro Lite for race day saves 90g under your Kryliums.
>
> Not much point to exotic cassettes. Both carbon bars and ultralight
> aluminum bars have checkered service history. Are you using Michelin's
> 65g tubes now?
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

i am using some specialized turbo ultralight tubes, 60 gr
Denis

On 28 nov, 11:35, daveornee <daveornee.30r...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> big_wheel Wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> > and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> > - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> > i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> > for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> > rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> > with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> > - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> > does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> > - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> > does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> > -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> > -five, things i did not think
> > I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg,
> > 17.3
> > lbs

> > I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> > Thanks for your suggestions

> > Denis

> Thompson stem and seat post are reliable and relatively low weight.
>
> http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
>
> Site will give you some of the real weights of rims, nipples, spokes,
> and hubs.
> (tires & tubes too, etc.)
> Though they aren't listed on Weight Weenies site, White Industries H1
> road hubs add up to 300 grams without QRs. They use 6801 front, & rear
> 6902 +6802 cartridge bearings. Nice quality hubs that are durable and
> easy to maintain ... if you can find the cartridge bearings.
> Sapim Laser spokes aren't listed on the site, but come in at the same
> weight as CX-Ray spokes (less expensive, but lesss aerodynamic).
> Latex tubes work fine but they lose air relatively quickly.
>
> --
> daveornee

thanks very interesting
Denis

On 27 nov, 23:28, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> big_wheel wrote:
> > Hi,
> > well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> > and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> > - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> > i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> > for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> > rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> > with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> > - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> > does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> > - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> > does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> > -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> > -five, things i did not think
> > I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
> > lbs

> > I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> > Thanks for your suggestions

> Without knowing which wheels you have now yes lighter wheels are
> probably available, 1550 is not extreme. Look at Velocity Aeroheads on a
> pair of Record hubs for example, built with 14-16 spokes rear, 15-17 front.
>
> Using Michelin Pro Lite for race day saves 90g under your Kryliums.
>
> Not much point to exotic cassettes. Both carbon bars and ultralight
> aluminum bars have checkered service history. Are you using Michelin's
> 65g tubes now?
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

i want to add that i ride on mavic cxp21, shimano 105 hub
about 1860 gr the wheelset
Denis

"big_wheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> -five, things i did not think
> I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
> lbs
>
> I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> Thanks for your suggestions
>
> Denis

Your bike already is light. I am curious, do you race?

BobT

On 28 nov, 19:37, "BobT" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "big_wheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi,
> > well I want to gain some weight on my present bike
> > and I'm not very sure where to begin;
> > - first, i am looking for a wheelset
> > i need advice for the wheelbuilder option
> > for a wheelset in the 1550 gr, classic hub,
> > rim, spoke, easy to self maintain
> > with a 1550 gr wheelset i gain about 310 gr
> > - second, i have already moderatly light tyres, michelin krylion
> > does latex tube give some edge ( advantage and disavantage )
> > - third, i am thinking to change my handlebar for comfort first,
> > does carbon make the grade and weight gain
> > -fourth, the seat post, does it worth the price and comfort
> > -five, things i did not think
> > I want to gain about 700 gr, that will place my bike in the 7.8 kg, 17.3
> > lbs

> > I ride about 5000 km/year and this is a road bike
> > Thanks for your suggestions

> > Denis

> Your bike already is light. I am curious, do you race?
>
> BobT

no

"bougon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> Your bike already is light. I am curious, do you race?
>>
>> BobT

> no

So why do you care that your bike is super light?

Why spend hundreds of dollars to buy new wheels? Is there something wrong
with your current hubs, spokes, and wheels? Why buy superlight tires that
wear out faster and are more prone to punctures? Why buy latex tubes that
lose air so quickly?

Do you know what your helmet, jersey, jacket (you did say Quebec City),
shorts, sunglasses, watch and/or cycle-computer weigh?

Do you drink water before you ride? Do you carry water with you when you
ride? Remember that one 24 ounce water bottle filled with water weighs more
than 700 gm.

Sometims it is fun to shop for and buy shiny new stuff. Nothing wrong with
that, I like to do that also. Perhaps if you shed 700 gm from your load you
will go 0.5% faster up the hills. Just realize that unless you are racing,
all of this has no practical purpose but if it makes you happy, go for it.
It certainly makes the high end bike gear manufacturers and sellers happy.

BobT

On 28 nov, 22:20, "BobT" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "bougon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >> Your bike already is light. I am curious, do you race?

> >> BobT

> > no

> So why do you care that your bike is super light?
>
> Why spend hundreds of dollars to buy new wheels? Is there something wrong
> with your current hubs, spokes, and wheels? Why buy superlight tires that
> wear out faster and are more prone to punctures? Why buy latex tubes that
> lose air so quickly?
>
> Do you know what your helmet, jersey, jacket (you did say Quebec City),
> shorts, sunglasses, watch and/or cycle-computer weigh?
>
> Do you drink water before you ride? Do you carry water with you when you
> ride? Remember that one 24 ounce water bottle filled with water weighs more
> than 700 gm.
>
> Sometims it is fun to shop for and buy shiny new stuff. Nothing wrong with
> that, I like to do that also. Perhaps if you shed 700 gm from your load you
> will go 0.5% faster up the hills. Just realize that unless you are racing,
> all of this has no practical purpose but if it makes you happy, go for it.
> It certainly makes the high end bike gear manufacturers and sellers happy.
>
> BobT

i know all that but it's an emotive issue
i want something new on my relatively six
years old bike or
a new 10 speed carbon bike
just for the plaisir

Denis

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 04:03:04 -0800 (PST), bougon
<[email protected]> wrote:

>i know all that but it's an emotive issue
>i want something new on my relatively six
>years old bike or
>a new 10 speed carbon bike
>just for the plaisir
>
>Denis

Sounds totally normal. It's referred to as the seven year itch.