Some advice on glasses would be a big help.

daves59

Dec 7, 2005
Hello, I am in the process of purchasing some cycling glasses for my wife. She is an avid cyclist who rides several century rides a year and competes in several half ironman competitions a year as well. From a non-cyclist, (road warrior anyways), point of view all of the glasses I have looked at, (Oakley, RudyProject, Spy, etc..) seem to be the same. Can anyone who has time tested these glasses give me some advice on what may be the best?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

daves59 said:
Hello, I am in the process of purchasing some cycling glasses for my wife. She is an avid cyclist who rides several century rides a year and competes in several half ironman competitions a year as well. From a non-cyclist, (road warrior anyways), point of view all of the glasses I have looked at, (Oakley, RudyProject, Spy, etc..) seem to be the same. Can anyone who has time tested these glasses give me some advice on what may be the best?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Over the years I have used Oakley, Bolle, Rudy Project, Smith, Uvex and no name cheapies. Functionally, all worked but some seemed better than others. The best ones are those that fit me and my face the best. I strongly recommend that you take your wife with you to a store where she can try them on.

i agree, they are all basically the same. don't overlook the retailer branded ones as well. oakley's tend to be higher priced because of the name. it really comes down to the style she likes and how the glasses fit on her.

just remember that any pluto-whatever, iridi-whatever coated lenses (i.e. the mirror finishes) scratch easily.

i like the ones that you can swap out the lenses for different colors for different conditions.

I've tried lots of different Types of Glasses for riding, the Oakley M Frame work the best for me for several different reasons.
The #1 reason is that they have no frames, this is important for safety, when you look over your shoulder it's best not to have a Frame obstructing your vision...also, when riding a road bike you need a top Frame that isn't visible when looking upwards, remember your Head is tilted down, so the eyes will be raised..there's nothing worse than a thick frame obstructing forward view either...

The #2 reason I like them is that they're a wrap around design, very aerordynamic, so they don't blow around on your Face in the wind...

I think Cycling Glasses are very specific, I never wear my M Frames off the Bike...I don't like the style THAT much, they look pretty dated to me...they've been around for years...

But my advice is, whatever Style she ends up with should be kind of a wrap around style rather than the more "Trendy" Frame type...

Hope this helps....

daves59 said:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Jaguar27 said:
I've tried lots of different Types of Glasses for riding, the Oakley M Frame work the best for me
Second on the Oakley M-Frame. Was highly recommended to me, too, and I have been happy with them.

Rudy.
If the lense is damaged, they'll replace it for about $14.95.
I drove over a pair with my truck, only damaged the lense and now with the new lense they're like new again.
They offer different sizes for different size faces too.

Sprint2Win said:
Rudy.
I drove over a pair with my truck, only damaged the lense and now with the new lense they're like new again.

Rudy also has a new lens material they're using in some models that is pretty damned flexible, as well as robust.

nbfman said:
Second on the Oakley M-Frame. Was highly recommended to me, too, and I have been happy with them.

+3 on the M frames. Awesome field of view. Provides protection and it doesn't even feel like you have glasses on.

Sprint2Win said:
Rudy.

I concur. I like my Rudy Skeey's alot.... maybe too much :D I've got extra removable lenses- clear, yellow, tek red, racing brown, smoke, action brown, and lazer blue. If anyone has a lazer black they want to sell.... let me know !!!!

i love the M frame too, they are light and flexable and have a wide range of lenses, i do iron mans as well and they are great in the run too because they dont fog up like my Rudys did.

Thank you all for your advice. It is very helpful. I really appreciate it. It looks like I can't go wrong with either the Rudys or M frame Oakleys. Just one more question. I see with the Rudys that you can adjust the fit. Can this be done on the Oakleys?

Thanks again,
Dave

P.S. I must turn my wife on to this forum. You guys are great!

daves59 said:
I see with the Rudys that you can adjust the fit. Can this be done on the Oakleys?
You can get two types of M frame one with hinged stems and one where the stems are locked ie no hinges these are Pro M Frames. the Pro ones are made tight so they stretch to your face shape. not sure about the others but you can get different shaped lenses which may help have a look at the oakley web page:)

gixser11 said:
+3 on the M frames. Awesome field of view. Provides protection and it doesn't even feel like you have glasses on.
I have the M frames with integrated prescription. But at over $400 I don't dare wear them riding. I think they were a waste of money. On top of that, my brother (the self professed sunglasses expert) thinks they look stupid. Ouch! Anyway, the distance correction on them makes it difficult to read the computer or GPS on my handlebars. I wear cheapies ($29 sale at Performance) with 5 different lens options. They're actually very functional.

daves59 said:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Get her a pair of Specialized Glasses. The Specialized Glasses have great ventilation, feel, and the lenses rock. The lenses change intensity for varying light condition (Rose to Smoke) in only a couple of seconds. With these glasses, I never worry about taking a pair of replacement lenses for when it gets dark because my lenses just go to a rose color when it is dark. All Specialized Glasses are outfitted with these sweet lenses and the frames come in a number of colors. I totally recomend the Specialized Glasses.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=05EquipOptics

MZ