Some Advice please

jjiam1234

Sep 4, 2006
If I have a stock Trek Pilot 5.2, and I am going to replace the back wheel with the recommendations in my post with velocity deepv wheels and the spokes he told me about. But here is my question. When I replace the back wheel, would I get any difference in getting a red cassette instead of the ultregra it has on it? Somehow, the cassette from red makes sense to me since it is machined from one piece, seems like it would be better for some reasons, is this true? and would the red cassette be usable with the ultegra crank, its a triple on the trek pilot 5.2. and the chain would my ultegra chain work with is, and would I be able to change out the cassette myself? is it easy? Any info will help, thanks.

jjiam1234 said:
If I have a stock Trek Pilot 5.2, and I am going to replace the back wheel with the recommendations in my post with velocity deepv wheels and the spokes he told me about. But here is my question. When I replace the back wheel, would I get any difference in getting a red cassette instead of the ultregra it has on it? Somehow, the cassette from red makes sense to me since it is machined from one piece, seems like it would be better for some reasons, is this true? and would the red cassette be usable with the ultegra crank, its a triple on the trek pilot 5.2. and the chain would my ultegra chain work with is, and would I be able to change out the cassette myself? is it easy? Any info will help, thanks.

Red cassette is huge on marketing, short on actual differences in shifting performance or longevity. NOT worth the $, IMO. Chain, crank, etc is compatible but least expensive compatible cogset and chain, in the ratio you are looking for. Paying the big bucks for Red, DA or SR/Record doesn't make sense. Samo for chains.

Peter@vecchios said:
Red cassette is huge on marketing, short on actual differences in shifting performance or longevity. NOT worth the $, IMO. Chain, crank, etc is compatible but least expensive compatible cogset and chain, in the ratio you are looking for. Paying the big bucks for Red, DA or SR/Record doesn't make sense. Samo for chains.
Of course you're right, but you've got to admit the Red marketing is pretty effective when a guy with a Trek Pilot thinks he needs to blow big bucks on one :)

I actually am planning on getting a RED cassette as I was eyeing a D/A, but supposedly the Red will significantly out live the D/A and both are quite a bit lighter than my Ultegra. FWIW the cassette is one of the few parts I think that D/A has a big advantage over Ultegra. The other is the crank which I already changed. ;)

My worthless 2 cents.

Meek One said:
I actually am planning on getting a RED cassette as I was eyeing a D/A, but supposedly the Red will significantly out live the D/A and both are quite a bit lighter than my Ultegra. FWIW the cassette is one of the few parts I think that D/A has a big advantage over Ultegra. The other is the crank which I already changed. ;)

My worthless 2 cents.

Well, difference is weight. 155 gr for Red, 173 for DA and 235 for Ultegra. 60-80 gram difference(2-4 ounces..for comparison, a Powerbar weighs 60 grams). Prices are about $200, about $190 and about $80. I think there are better places to spend $110+, IMO. Red and ultegra will have similar lives, since they are both steel. $200 for an all steel casette is outrageous, iffayaaskme.

But yer $, do whateveryouwish.

Peter@vecchios said:
Well, difference is weight. 155 gr for Red, 173 for DA and 235 for Ultegra. 60-80 gram difference(2-4 ounces..for comparison, a Powerbar weighs 60 grams). Prices are about $200, about $190 and about $80. I think there are better places to spend $110+, IMO. Red and ultegra will have similar lives, since they are both steel. $200 for an all steel casette is outrageous, iffayaaskme.

But yer $, do whateveryouwish.

I plan on spending $150 for my RED and my Ultegra will be used on my Crit bike...

Meek One said:
I plan on spending $150 for my RED and my Ultegra will be used on my Crit bike...
I'm going to have to agree with Peter here... Thats a hell of alot of money to spend when one could most probaly loose the weight somewhere else.

It may not apply to everyone out there but i'm sure quite a few of us could loose a couple of pounds of spare tyre for free.

Anyways be glad your not a student... $200 is my food for over a month :D