Some Bike Rides Just Aren't Meant To Be!

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]After 8 solid weeks of rain, Dear Hubby ran into the room today to announce that there was the tiniest bit of sunshine peeking through, and maybe we could get a ride in before the next storm hit. He said that he had to replace a tube on his bike, and then we could go. So I hurried to put on all my layers (which seems to take a long time, to me) and ran to the garage -- only to see him pumping up a tube and complaining about something wrong with the other one. He finally gets his tube and tire on, and discovers mine need some air too. Okay, a quick fix. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]We go half a block and he gets a phone call. Ordinarily we don't answer phones on our rides, but he was selling something on Craigslist, and hoped it was a buyer. It was, and the guy said he would be here in an hour. Okay, so we plan to shorten our ride and make it back by then. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]To get to the bike path we take, there is one really awkward turn. It's shaped like a 5 on top of a backward C. So you enter the bottom of the backward C, take the curve around it, then do a sharp right turn onto the bottom of the 5, squeezing between a fence on the right and a tall curb on the left. I've done it many times. But today it had been raining, the pavement and leaves were slick, and I somehow clipped the right edge of the sidewalk with my wheel, and down I went. Hubby was close behind me -- too close, it turns out, and I fell into his front wheel and then the ground. He was partially upright, with his left leg pinned under the bike, on top of which I leaned/lay, with my left leg pinned under my bike, unable to find any footing for my right leg to help me get somewhere. It must have looked pretty funny, our trying to untangle ourselves and get back up without sliding down again. My knee tweaked just a little and my backside was wet, but I didn't care, I was going to go on a darned bike ride! So off we continued.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]We managed to go about 2.5 miles, and I hear this loud POP. At first I thought it was the car beside me back-firing, and then I thought maybe they were just making noise to try to startle us. But I turned around, and there was Frustrated Hubby with a totally blown TIRE. Not the tube, mind you. Something happened -- he was muttering about a worn spot -- and that tire looked like Freddy Krueger had gotten hold of it. Tubes we had with us. Tires? No. Sigh... [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]So, since he's the faster cyclist, he took my bike and headed for home to get the car so he could come back and get me and his bike, and we could be back in time to sell our recumbent exercycle to the Craigslist guy. (We're selling it because I bought a trainer for my bike, instead.) So home we come, with wet backsides and a minimally tweaked knee, after only 2.5 miles of what I had really hoped would be at least 10. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I shrugged off my frustration, peeled off most of the layers, got my bike into the trainer, and off I went for an hour while I watched a movie. For the first 45 minutes I rode my normal speed during the movie, but with every commercial I upped the speed some; and since they very often had 5 or 6 commercials in a row, by the time the movie came back on I was more than ready to slow down to my normal speed again. I kind of consider the commercials my sprints, lol. And I learned I can breathe every bit as heavy and sweat every bit as much on a trainer as on my bike outside. It's just not as much fun. But I did it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]So I managed to get an hour's ride in today.... eventually. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/COLOR] At least we sold the recumbent!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Just wanted to vent, y'all. Have a good one. [/COLOR]

I think that we have all been there at one time or another. I think I would vote for a politician who was willing to ban wet leaves.

The work that you are doing on your trainer is similar to a training technique refered to as intervals. Normally you would sprint for a mile or two and then reduce your intensity for the next mile, and then sprint again and on and on. Most people hate it but it is one of the best exercises for building up your speed. For endurance, do your training ride while watching "Gone with the Wind". Ride at about 50% of your max intensity and up it to 75%of your max intensity for five minutes each time you hear the word "Yankee". This will give you a workout similar to what you would get in the real world.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

I think that we have all been there at one time or another. I think I would vote for a politician who was willing to ban wet leaves.

The work that you are doing on your trainer is similar to a training technique refered to as intervals. Normally you would sprint for a mile or two and then reduce your intensity for the next mile, and then sprint again and on and on. Most people hate it but it is one of the best exercises for building up your speed. For endurance, do your training ride while watching "Gone with the Wind". Ride at about 50% of your max intensity and up it to 75%of your max intensity for five minutes each time you hear the word "Yankee". This will give you a workout similar to what you would get in the real world.

Yes, and Gone with the wind is one looooooong movie so you'll have burned some series calories by the time you are done!!!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, KD! How's it going, Calico?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn about intervals. Or is it, "Lawsy, Lawys, KDelong, I don't know nothin' 'bout bikin' no intervals!" LOL! GWTW is just about my favorite all-time movie. I watch it at least once a year. I also won a special theater marquee-type poster about it at a theater where they had a GWTW trivia contest. Gosh, if I stayed on my bike long enough to watch that, I'd have some calories burned![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]So they're called 'intervals,' eh? Okay, then intervals to Rhett and Scarlett I will do. But I'll have to find GWTW on DVD first; I only have it on tape (that's how old my copy is), and we no longer own a VCR, having just gotten rid of it when we bought our flat-screen LCD last week. (Gawwwwd, is that a gorgeous picture!) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input, you two! Say hi to Prissy and Mammy for me. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

Gone with the wind is my all-time favorite movie too. . . . but nobody can survive an interval session as long as that! It's not bad for some Sunday LSD work, however. Hmmm, wonder if my teammates would watch that with me, or start throwing things if I put it in, maybe I will have to give it a try :)

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, KD! How's it going, Calico?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn about intervals. Or is it, "Lawsy, Lawys, KDelong, I don't know nothin' 'bout bikin' no intervals!" LOL! GWTW is just about my favorite all-time movie. I watch it at least once a year. I also won a special theater marquee-type poster about it at a theater where they had a GWTW trivia contest. Gosh, if I stayed on my bike long enough to watch that, I'd have some calories burned![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]So they're called 'intervals,' eh? Okay, then intervals to Rhett and Scarlett I will do. But I'll have to find GWTW on DVD first; I only have it on tape (that's how old my copy is), and we no longer own a VCR, having just gotten rid of it when we bought our flat-screen LCD last week. (Gawwwwd, is that a gorgeous picture!) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the input, you two! Say hi to Prissy and Mammy for me. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]
Time to get Netflix. Happy to hear you are OK and no one was injured.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, you two![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Cat, I'm not sure I could survive intervals for an HOUR, much less 3. So I'll have to do mine in installments, lol. BTW, what's LSD? (Other than the drug, lol.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Dave. It would be hard to be hurt too bad on that lousy turn, just because you have to slow down so much to make it. It's the one spot in my route that's really iffy. And you're right, too: We've been thinking about Netflix for a while now. Probably gonna do that. Then I'll have LOTS of movies to wear myself out watching! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one, y'all.[/COLOR]

What is see here is a $100,000 video gone to waste!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Sorry! Glad no one was hurt and the bikes are ride-able.

We have a spot like that at the park. You get on down the street by a
private drive and then you have to make a very sharp left to go west
or a very crazy zigzag to go east or if you are going a bit too fast you
go in the lake.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Good idea, Brad![/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]You follow me around with your video camera, because with my riding abilities there is NO doubt I will do something like that again, probably sooner than I would like, lol. We can split the 100K.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]At least on your route, if you miss it you go in the lake, and it would be a soft landing (unless you drown). On mine, you either hit a) the fence, b) the sidewalk, or c) the curb -- which,fortunately, Dear Hubby's bike cushioned me from, lol. The frustrating thing is, 10 feet to the left from that entrance there is a perfect place for the Street Department to put a ramp onto the bike path, straight on with no curves or curbs or fences. But noooooooooooooo.... they probably HAVE a camera hidden in the trees somewhere, and are yukking it up as we speak. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]My bike and knee are complaining a bit tonight, but it's nothing some heat and an aspirin or something won't take care of, I don't think. I'm actually just glad I did it, because I was nervous about my first bike crash, and now I've had it and it was no big deal. Of course, I was only going about 3 mph at the time, and a fast one will be a lot more scary. But it's nice to know they can be survived. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the chuckles.[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Hey, you two![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Cat, I'm not sure I could survive intervals for an HOUR, much less 3. So I'll have to do mine in installments, lol. BTW, what's LSD? (Other than the drug, lol.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Thanks, Dave. It would be hard to be hurt too bad on that lousy turn, just because you have to slow down so much to make it. It's the one spot in my route that's really iffy. And you're right, too: We've been thinking about Netflix for a while now. Probably gonna do that. Then I'll have LOTS of movies to wear myself out watching! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Have a good one, y'all.[/COLOR]

LSD = long steady distance. Basically, ride and ride and ride, but with minimal intensity (ie, no intervals). Even when time is short, or I am trying to minimize time on the bike due to being a prisoner of the trainer, I still try to get in one LSD ride per week, which in my case is at least 3hrs on the trainer every Sunday. Long movies are great for that!!!!!'

Interval workouts are shorter in duration, but higher intensity. When I do intervals indoors (and outdoors for that matter) I spend about 1.5-2hrs on the bike, but only 30-40min of that is real "work" the rest is recovery, warm up and cool down, and nonetheless, if done right, leaves me pretty shattered!

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. We had a lot of snow one winter and a friend of mine and I had been waiting for a day to ride. Well the first nice Saturday in late march we both had off work so we planned a 40 mile ride on the NCR trail here in MD. Turning out of my development my bike decides to hop off the back of the carrier and skid down the road. Broke one of my shifters and tore a whole in my seat. Unfortunately we had to cancel the ride because I couldn't fix the shifter. Those days stink but there has always been another ride.

Sorry to hear about your rough day. Glad you found a work around.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the sympathy and commiseration, lol. I lived with almost no scratches, and it actually felt good to get my first 'crash' out of the way, though I was going so slowly to make that sharp turn that it could barely even be called that. KSwiss, yours sounds a whole lot worse![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I figure cycling might end up being like flying.... any crash you can walk away from is a good one! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/COLOR]