Some days are just GOOD.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    I was out on the bike this afternoon. It was a thoroughly glorious day, even
    the wind was warm. Loads of newborn lambs in fields, primroses blooming in
    the verges and I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a field. They were
    totally unconcerned by large woman in fluorescent Lycra pootling by.

    On way back home, cycling through a village I was overtaken by a fit young
    man on a mountain bike. Serious stuff - he was sipping from his camelbak and
    had his head down - he was pedalling hard. My cheery "afternoon" was
    ignored. Fit young blokes on MTBs, going fast whilst sipping from their
    Camelbak are not going to acknowledge the existance of the middle-aged woman
    in Lycra on a tourer with mudguards, pannier rack & Brooks cotton duck
    saddlebag.

    Fit young bloke started to zoom off, and I thought "B*gg*r it, I've lost
    weight, I wonder if I can catch him?" So I set off. I caught him within a
    100 yards or so and sailed past him. As I did so, I offered a cheery
    "Afternoon. There's life in the old girl yet." and zoomed off in front of
    him. It was only much further on when I had to stop for traffic that he came
    by me - and only because he went illegal by going on the pavement at speed.
    I don't do pavements. Must admit, I enjoyed myself immensely overtaking the
    fit young bloke. Makes the weight loss worthwhile :)

    Cheers, helen s

    Tags:

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > I was out on the bike this afternoon.

    I'm stuck in the office. Pah!

    > I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a field.

    How charming. I caught a glimpse of a fallow deer while out last Sunday
    - I heard a rustling in the trees and looked round in time to see it
    springing off. Obviously I am a more frightening sight than you!

    > Must admit, I enjoyed myself immensely overtaking the
    > fit young bloke.

    Hurrah! for you, Boo! for him for the lack of politeness, and Boo!
    again for the pavement cycling.

    d.

  3. davek wrote:
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> I was out on the bike this afternoon.

    > I'm stuck in the office. Pah!
    >
    >> I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a field.

    > How charming. I caught a glimpse of a fallow deer while out last
    > Sunday - I heard a rustling in the trees and looked round in time to
    > see it springing off. Obviously I am a more frightening sight than
    > you!

    On last Saturday's Essex Lanes a group of us were obliged to stop due to
    Horse Activity. Chap #1 managed to get past horse, only to anchor up ten
    yards up the road as a hurtling deer /just/ succeeded in avoiding his front
    wheel. It was closely followed by about twenty or thirty more...

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> I was out on the bike this afternoon.

    > I'm stuck in the office. Pah!

    Certainly in deepest rural Norfik it's quite glorious and I'm tempted to go
    out again for an evening pootle.

    >> I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a field.

    > How charming. I caught a glimpse of a fallow deer while out last Sunday
    > - I heard a rustling in the trees and looked round in time to see it
    > springing off. Obviously I am a more frightening sight than you!

    Perhaps, but I doubt it - the deer near me may well have eyesight defects
    ;-)

    >> Must admit, I enjoyed myself immensely overtaking the
    >> fit young bloke.

    > Hurrah! for you, Boo! for him for the lack of politeness, and Boo!
    > again for the pavement cycling.
    >
    > d.

    Zaktlee. And it's got my need for speed out of my system for the year ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  5. wafflycat wrote:

    > Certainly in deepest rural Norfik it's quite glorious and I'm tempted to
    > go out again for an evening pootle.

    Pah! It's full dull in Bangor, apparently it's sunny ten miles to the east but
    since I'm stuck in the office I don't really care.

    And the number of scowling pedestrians and cyclists I encounter while cycling
    the lanes to and from work is quite staggering.

    Alan

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    wafflycat <wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:
    : ignored. Fit young blokes on MTBs, going fast whilst sipping from their
    : Camelbak are not going to acknowledge the existance of the middle-aged woman
    : in Lycra on a tourer with mudguards, pannier rack & Brooks cotton duck
    : saddlebag.

    I was out one morning last week and saw a lass on a down-wrong (a Kingcycle).
    I waved and smiled but got totally ignored. Hey ho.

    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a
    > field. They were totally unconcerned by large woman in fluorescent Lycra
    > pootling by.

    "SMIDSY"

    Tony ;-)

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > Perhaps, but I doubt it - the deer near me may well have eyesight
    > defects ;-)

    Shirley not a ....wait for it.....wait for it... No eye deer.

    Badoom ching

    The old ones are the best

    Tony

  9. wafflycat wrote:

    > I was out on the bike this afternoon. It was a thoroughly glorious day,
    > even the wind was warm. Loads of newborn lambs in fields, primroses
    > blooming in the verges and I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a
    > field. They were totally unconcerned by large woman in fluorescent Lycra
    > pootling by.

    And I have to work...

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
    ('smert.spamiona[email protected]') wrote:

    > davek wrote:
    >> wafflycat wrote:
    >>> I was out on the bike this afternoon.

    >> I'm stuck in the office. Pah!
    >>
    >>> I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a field.

    >> How charming. I caught a glimpse of a fallow deer while out last
    >> Sunday - I heard a rustling in the trees and looked round in time to
    >> see it springing off. Obviously I am a more frightening sight than
    >> you!

    > On last Saturday's Essex Lanes a group of us were obliged to stop due
    > Horse Activity. Chap #1 managed to get past horse, only to anchor up
    > ten yards up the road as a hurtling deer /just/ succeeded in avoiding
    > his front wheel.

    I've actually been hit by a roe deer. Fortunately neither of us seemed
    hurt - I didn't come off and the deer hurtled off up through the wood
    with not apparent injury.

    ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

  11. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> I was out on the bike this afternoon. It was a thoroughly glorious day,
    >> even the wind was warm. Loads of newborn lambs in fields, primroses
    >> blooming in the verges and I saw a stag with three hinds resting in a
    >> field. They were totally unconcerned by large woman in fluorescent Lycra
    >> pootling by.

    > And I have to work...

    On the plus side, you didn't have the sight of a large lady in fluorescent
    Lycra burning out your retinas ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  12. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > My cheery "afternoon" was
    > ignored. Fit young blokes on MTBs, going fast whilst sipping from their
    > Camelbak are not going to acknowledge the existance of the middle-aged woman
    > in Lycra on a tourer with mudguards, pannier rack & Brooks cotton duck
    > saddlebag.

    Not necessarily so. I used to be a fit young bloke on an MTB, and I
    would have done.

    > I caught him within a 100 yards or so and sailed past him.

    Are you /sure/ he was fit? ;-)

    > It was only much further on when I had to stop for traffic that he came
    > by me - and only because he went illegal by going on the pavement at speed.

    Ah, well, there you go. He was a POB, not a cyclist. POBs don't tend
    to acknowledge cyclists.

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > I was out one morning last week and saw a lass on a down-wrong (a Kingcycle).
    > I waved and smiled but got totally ignored. Hey ho.

    She was probably stunned into insensibility at getting a wave and a
    smile from a roadie ;-)

  14. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was out one morning last week and saw a lass on a down-wrong (a
    > Kingcycle).
    > I waved and smiled but got totally ignored. Hey ho.

    Well I'd have smiled & waved back :)

    Cheers, helen s

  15. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> My cheery "afternoon" was ignored. Fit young blokes on MTBs, going fast
    >> whilst sipping from their Camelbak are not going to acknowledge the
    >> existance of the middle-aged woman in Lycra on a tourer with mudguards,
    >> pannier rack & Brooks cotton duck saddlebag.

    > Not necessarily so. I used to be a fit young bloke on an MTB, and I would
    > have done.

    Yes, but you are human and a fine gentleman. You are not typical :)

    >> I caught him within a 100 yards or so and sailed past him.

    > Are you /sure/ he was fit? ;-)

    Wotch it Colyer! And yes, he rather nice muscular legs ;-)

    >> It was only much further on when I had to stop for traffic that he came
    >> by me - and only because he went illegal by going on the pavement at
    >> speed.

    > Ah, well, there you go. He was a POB, not a cyclist. POBs don't tend to
    > acknowledge cyclists.

    True, true.

    Cheers, helen s

    > --
    > Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    > <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    > "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  16. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    >>davek wrote:

    >>>I'm stuck in the office. Pah!

    >>>How charming. I caught a glimpse of a fallow deer while out last
    >>>Sunday - I heard a rustling in the trees and looked round in time to
    >>>see it springing off. Obviously I am a more frightening sight than
    >>>you!

    >>On last Saturday's Essex Lanes a group of us were obliged to stop due
    >>Horse Activity. Chap #1 managed to get past horse, only to anchor up
    >>ten yards up the road as a hurtling deer /just/ succeeded in avoiding
    >>his front wheel.

    > I've actually been hit by a roe deer. Fortunately neither of us seemed
    > hurt - I didn't come off and the deer hurtled off up through the wood
    > with not apparent injury.

    ....almost ran over a badger once. Not too sure who was most surprised!

  17. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > ...almost ran over a badger once. Not too sure who was most surprised!

    Well, at least he still appears to post here from time to time ;-)

    R.

  18. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as wafflycat
    <[email protected]?.?.invalid> gently breathed:
    >"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> wafflycat wrote:

    >>> I caught him within a 100 yards or so and sailed past him.

    >> Are you /sure/ he was fit? ;-)

    >Wotch it Colyer! And yes, he rather nice muscular legs ;-)

    Next time you encounter him, kidnap him, drag him home and chain him to
    a pedal powered electricity generator. Free power and nice legs to
    watch! :)

    NP: Sonata Arctica - Black Sheep.
    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow.
    http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

  19. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> ...almost ran over a badger once. Not too sure who was most surprised!

    > Well, at least he still appears to post here from time to time ;-)
    >
    > R.

    .... he's into cubs over on rec.kites at the moment by the look of it :)

  20. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Next time you encounter him, kidnap him, drag him home and chain him to
    > a pedal powered electricity generator. Free power and nice legs to
    > watch! :)

    Good idea - I shall have to do that.

    Cheers, helen s