Some help for a newbie

rotaryrocket

Dec 24, 2014
Hello everyone, I am new to cycling and am currently mostly commuting. I have an older Giant MTB that I have been using for the time being, but I am looking to get something newer/nicer for the commutes/fitness and fun rides I intend to use it for. I understand that I should be going in to be fitted for a bike at my LBS to get the most of everything. I wanted to ask the forum about a bike on ebay that I am interested in as I am looking at either a Trek DS or a Cannondale quick for my first newer purchase. If some of you could look at the listing and maybe tell me what they think about it...would I be really taking a shot in the dark at buying a bike online? Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291341106051?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice bike. It looks like the owner took care of it and cleaned it up for the sale. That's a plus.

The photos and description don't say much about it, though. No model level, no year. 8-speed cassette indicates older, or a low to midrange model. The current model it most resembles is the Quick CX 4, MSRP of $760. Another current model that looks comparable is Trek's 7.2FX Disc, msrp $599.99. Here's the link: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/city/fitness/fx/7_2_fx_disc/. Out of the carton, the Cannondale appears to be spec'ed a little better for dirt roads, but that can be changed with different tires.

I sent some those questions to the seller about model, year, etc. because they weren't listed, as well as whether or not the fork was carbon. States he only rode it once so I am not sure what to make of that. Looks like he has some hybrid tires on it as well. I think I will just go to the LBS and get fitted/try bikes out, thank you very much for the input bobcat!

It's impossible to assess the condition of a bike from pic's. So much could be wrong with the various bearings, worn cables, bent or damaged derailleur and/or hanger, etc etc. Most bicycle fixes are simple and straight forward but they can require special tools so getting started with a DIY approach can be expensive. Taking a bike to a shop for fixes can very quickly become very expensive.

A properly adjusted good quality bike from Trek or C'dale will last many miles.

That said, IMHO the most important consideration in buying a bike is getting the right fit. A bicycle that is a poor fit is a poor value at any price.

Market price is no more than 1/2 price for a good quality, 3 to 4 year old max, second hand bike. (I dont live in the States but I cant imagine it being too different there)

The size is XL so for this to fit you need to be a bloke around 6' or there abouts.

I assume the frame is aluminium. He states it has a "small" dent. I would not go near any aluminium bike with any dents, catastrophic failure can occur.

Thanks for the input peeps, I ended up getting a new Specialized sirrus elite disc. All smiles!!

It seems that you're hooked on a Cannondale. Check with your local dealer
on the price of a new Quick 6 or Quick 5. Either of those should be available
for less than $500. You're new to biking and it would be really good to be
purchasing a bike that has the warranty and support of a local bike shop.

You may be able to find a great deal on a past year Quick 6, 5, or 4 ???
Get one that fits you and smells NEW.

Actually went with Specialized Elite disc from a local bike shop.
big-smile.png

Way to go. I really like the Specialized Sirrus Elite.
I currently have the base Sirrus model, and I just love the way
it feels. In fact new tires for it should be in tomorrow.

It looks good, but I would take it with a grain of salt, because you can't be sure about the real reason the owner decided to sell it to someone else. He maybe screwed it up somewhat and he didn't specifiy in the description. The price is attractive, but can you be sure you won't be disappointed afterwards?