Some help from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spam Hater

This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer for
me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.

From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this track) the velodrome is also
named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been used as the finsh for a
few UCI races.

I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn of
the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My father,
aunts and uncles know very little, other than that.

Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my email address if you have any
information.

Thank you!

Joe
--

Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.

"spam hater" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer
for
> me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
> hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.
>
> From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this
track)
> the velodrome is also named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been
> used as the finsh for a few UCI races.
>
> I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn
> of the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My father,
> aunts and uncles know
very
> little, other than that.
>
> Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my
email
> address if you have any information.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Joe

The Jacques Anquetil velodrome is the municipal track for Paris. The municipal track. La municipale.

You're welcome.

Robert Chung wrote:

>
> "spam hater" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer
> for
>> me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
>> hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.
>>
>> From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this
> track)
>> the velodrome is also named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been
>> used as the finsh for a few UCI races.
>>
>> I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn
>> of the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My
>> father, aunts and uncles know
> very
>> little, other than that.
>>
>> Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my
> email
>> address if you have any information.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Joe
>
> The Jacques Anquetil velodrome is the municipal track for Paris. The municipal track. La
> municipale.
>
> You're welcome.

Robert,

Could you please reply to me at my email address... Thanks!

Joe
--

Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer for
> me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
> hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.
>
> From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this track) the velodrome is also
> named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been used as the finsh for
> a few UCI races.
>
> I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn
> of the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My father,
> aunts and uncles know very little, other than that.
>
> Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my email address if you have
> any information.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Joe

I believe the Jaques Anquetiel velodrome is also known as the "Velodrome Municipale" (that's what
the sign says over the entrance). It's in Paris, on the east side just north of the river in a large
arboreal park. Plaques at the front gate evoke the memory of the Pellissier brothers. 500 meters
long, concrete surfaced, with turn of the century-sytle metal-covered concrete grandstands on both
sides, and a soccer/rugby field in the center. I have a few friends in Paris who train there, and a
number of photos of the velodrome from a trip there back in 2001. If you'd like to see them, I can
either send them or put them up on www.velodrome.com

Mike G. -

----------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Gladu - Cycling Photojournalist & webmaster of "the 'drome"
Email: [email protected] Online: http://www.velodrome.com/
================================================================
track racing discussion group: [email protected]
================================================================

Status
Not open for further replies.