Some help from Europe

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Spam Hater, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer for
    me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
    hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.

    From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this track) the velodrome is also
    named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been used as the finsh for a
    few UCI races.

    I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn of
    the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My father,
    aunts and uncles know very little, other than that.

    Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my email address if you have any
    information.

    Thank you!

    Joe
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "spam hater" <joec@aracnet.com> wrote in message news:b1h5fe01e0c@enews3.newsguy.com...
    > This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer
    for
    > me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
    > hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.
    >
    > From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this
    track)
    > the velodrome is also named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been
    > used as the finsh for a few UCI races.
    >
    > I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn
    > of the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My father,
    > aunts and uncles know
    very
    > little, other than that.
    >
    > Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my
    email
    > address if you have any information.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Joe

    The Jacques Anquetil velodrome is the municipal track for Paris. The municipal track. La municipale.

    You're welcome.

  3. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:

    > "spam hater" <joec@aracnet.com> wrote in message news:b1h5fe01e0c@enews3.newsguy.com...
    >> This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer
    > for
    >> me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
    >> hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.
    >>
    >> From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this
    > track)
    >> the velodrome is also named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been
    >> used as the finsh for a few UCI races.
    >>
    >> I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn
    >> of the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My
    >> father, aunts and uncles know
    > very
    >> little, other than that.
    >>
    >> Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my
    > email
    >> address if you have any information.
    >>
    >> Thank you!
    >>
    >> Joe
    >
    > The Jacques Anquetil velodrome is the municipal track for Paris. The municipal track. La
    > municipale.
    >
    > You're welcome.

    Robert,

    Could you please reply to me at my email address... Thanks!

    Joe
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting
    fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms. Consult
    <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html> for details.

  4. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

    In article <b1h5fe01e0c@enews3.newsguy.com>, mstr_joseph@hotmail.com wrote:

    > This is a question for rbr readers in Europe that I hope you can answer for
    > me. I was performing a web-search on my family name today for a genealogy search. Surprisingly, a
    > hit for "Velodrome La Cipale" appeared.
    >
    > From what I can glean (in the very little English written about this track) the velodrome is also
    > named for Jacques Anquietil and, if I read old race reports correctly, been used as the finsh for
    > a few UCI races.
    >
    > I am curious as to how this oval was named. My grandfather immigrated from Italy around the turn
    > of the 20th century. All I know of him is that he lived on the Adriatic coast of Italy. My father,
    > aunts and uncles know very little, other than that.
    >
    > Any help on this would be graciously appreciated! You can reply to my email address if you have
    > any information.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Joe

    I believe the Jaques Anquetiel velodrome is also known as the "Velodrome Municipale" (that's what
    the sign says over the entrance). It's in Paris, on the east side just north of the river in a large
    arboreal park. Plaques at the front gate evoke the memory of the Pellissier brothers. 500 meters
    long, concrete surfaced, with turn of the century-sytle metal-covered concrete grandstands on both
    sides, and a soccer/rugby field in the center. I have a few friends in Paris who train there, and a
    number of photos of the velodrome from a trip there back in 2001. If you'd like to see them, I can
    either send them or put them up on www.velodrome.com

    Mike G. -

    Mike Gladu - Cycling Photojournalist & webmaster of "the 'drome"
    Email: mike@velodrome.com Online: http://www.velodrome.com/
    track racing discussion group: velodrome-subscribe@topica.com