Some help in a list of bikes

siidman

Jun 5, 2012
I've been out of riding for about a year and a half because I've been working as a contractor in Afghanistan. I rode for 2 years and had a Specialized Tarmac Comp before coming out here but sold it before I left. I'm leaving here in a few months and have a nasty itch to ride again. I'm looking to not spend more than 3500 on a bike. I'll probably get one used a year or two old seeing as they tend to be much cheaper than new and I can get more bike for less. I got my Tarmac for 1k a year old when they were selling the new ones for a hell of a lot more. Anyway, I was mostly thinking of a Cervelo R3 and I was wanting to see if anyone could give a list of brands and models that are about in that same range. All I've ridden is my Tarmac and I don't want a Trek. I go home on leave in a few weeks and I'm gonna take this list around to bike dealers and ride the bikes and see what fits and what I like.
Thanks

Your budget is only $3500 so your going to buy used? Well, forget a new Pinarello Dogma then.

At $3500, you still have more choices than most who ask a similar question who are only willing to spend a tenth of that. All of the major manufacturers have a bikes in the range that you are talking about. Some of the lesser seen or stocked are bikes like the Look Optimum Ultra, Marin Stelivio Ultegra, Litespeed C3, BMC, Willier, LaPierre Sensium, etc if you want to buy new. These usually have to be ordered.

If you can find them used in your size, you might be able to score a Pinarello, a Colagno, a Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod 1, Focus Izalco Extreme, Orbea Orca, Blue AC1, or even a Pegoretti Big Leg Emma. Seven is also a great brand, as is Cyfac, Ahearne, Cielo, and Guru.

But if you are really looking to be elite, check out custom frame builders. And if all else fails, there is always the Specialized Tarmac SL3 Di2 which retails at $9,900. Oh, and don't count out Trek. Remember, a lot of people drive Chevys, they are all over the place, but Chevy does make the Corvette and the Camaro. There are a lot of Treks out there too so that they almost seem genaric, but they offer some very fine bikes like their Series 6 which did very nice in last years tour if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by siidman .

Could u tell me more about this Pinarello Dogma?
Are you familiar with Salvador Dali?

j/k

Unless you are fully aware of any given bikes history, I would personally stay away from used (even though some great deals can be had and it sounds like you've had some luck in the past). You may not get any special love from the LBS or the manufacturer from a warrantee standpoint. But a prior year model, absolutely. But which one? These days there's a lot of similarity quality-wise between many of the above brands. It's similar to us choosing your prom date.

Buying a used bikes is the same concept as buying a used car, a used motorcycle, or a used guitar. You never know what anyone did with it previous so if you arent an expert you take someone who is to check out the item. I don't know why the main issue of my question has turned into an issue with buying used. There are great deals out there every day that can be capitalized on from peolple that jump into something not knowing much about it just to use it a few times to realize it's not for them and sell it a few months later. I bought my wife's Cadillac CTS 1 year old for 18k less than the new price with 20k miles. The Tarmac I got was 1 year old and the new model was selling for something like 2500, I dont exactly remember, and the same model left over from the previous year was selling for 1800 and I got mine from an older guy who threw out his back shortly after buying his brand new and sold it to me way less than sticker price. I don't have an issue paying a good price for a good bike, but I'm not gonna pay 10k for a bad ass bike either so I know I can take 3500 and search around for a month or so and find the same type situation and get a bike that was 5-6k the year before now for 3500. I was just asking for a few models that are of the same caliber as the Cervello R3 because I've been away for a little while and would like some examples of where to start.

Google it. The Pinarello Dogma is an extremely expensive eye candy bicycle lusted after by us mere mortals of modest means.

Unless you can find a bike within your budget and exactly what you're looking for, I will generally recommend you go "custom" especially with this kind of budget. Going used has the advantage that you can get more bang for your buck so this advice is if you are buying new.

Going custom means you get the frame you want, the mix of components you want, the wheels you want etc. Some shops may swap out certain components for others, change the saddle, may be the wheels etc. but I think most retailers are going to see you a bike as its comes or at substantial additional cost.

Man-O-man that is an awesome bike. That is gonna be on my list for bikes to look further in to. I've been looking around on Craigslsit for what is out there. I'm thinking about the Look 585, Cervelo R3, Maybe the Specialized S-works SL-3 if I can swing it, and maybe that Pinarello. I need to lok further into the geometry of the bikes and sit on em before I decide for sure on any one of them, but does anyone have anything to say about these?

Originally Posted by siidman .

Man-O-man that is an awesome bike. That is gonna be on my list for bikes to look further in to. I've been looking around on Craigslsit for what is out there. I'm thinking about the Look 585, Cervelo R3, Maybe the Specialized S-works SL-3 if I can swing it, and maybe that Pinarello. I need to lok further into the geometry of the bikes and sit on em before I decide for sure on any one of them, but does anyone have anything to say about these?
I raced a Tarmac SL3 w/DA 7800 for a season. What a dream! If Specialized hadn't tried to strong arm the Volagi startup punitively I may have considered another one down the road at some point. I haven't ridden any of the others.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I raced a Tarmac SL3 w/DA 7800 for a season. What a dream! If Specialized hadn't tried to strong arm the Volagi startup punitively I may have considered another one down the road at some point. I haven't ridden any of the others.
Btw, unless you already have a specific bike in mind this may be tough call on your budget. My 2010 sold on eBay for just under $4G and I took a bit of a hit.

If you're still intersted, I'm selling my BMC Road Racer. it's 2011 model, I put about 300 miles, mint condition. Can throw in the accessories too. Check my ad in classifieds. It's size 51. The bike is a beast. I'm a novice rider and the bike is incredible. Hills are so easy with this. I told my LBS that I planned to start training and hopefully race. He suggested I buy size 48 to be an aggressive rider because the Road Racer is built very aggressive. I told him I'm a long ways off from that so I opted a more comfortable fit 51. :) btw, I can't ride anymore (unless it's short distance and just recreational) that's why i'm selling.... otherwise, I would be close to start in some local crits. so sad... just talking about selling it gets me sad...