Some husbands CAN be trained (NSV of sorts)

Laura

Guest
It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of portion control. We had homemade
chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for
less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3 pts)
with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese (1pt). A year ago it would have
been double that size plus seconds.

Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had to
get it away from me for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage. He
realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off on him too. The old me
would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating too much.

Laura wrote:

> It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of portion control. We had
> homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked in the microwave
> strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of
> chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese (1pt). A year ago
> it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
> Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
> before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had
> to get it away from me for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
> He realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off on him too. The old me
> would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating too much.

That's a great NSV!

I was lucky with my DH - as he's a type 1 diabetic, there was little training to do in the way of
sweet snacks and the like. I just had to train him off red meat for a while, when the gall bladder
was really bad! Now he's looking forward to gobbling all the steak in the freezer! With careful
point calculation, I should be able to help...

BTW, I had chilli for dinner too! Ours was made with Quorn - I bought it and froze it last summer,
when a veggie friend was staying, and we had some left, so we are using it up. Feels dirt cheap coz
it didn't come out of this week's food budget!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

That was a wonderful NSV, Laura. The only thing my hubby will do when he wants something that he
knows I shouldn't have is to hide things - as long as I don't know he has it, I won't want it - and
he's right! Elaine K

Laura wrote:

>It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of portion control. We had
>homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked in the microwave
>strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of
>chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese (1pt). A year ago
>it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
>Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
>before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had to
>get it away from me for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage. He
>realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off on him too. The old me
>would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating too much.

Great NSV Laura!!! I hope some of it rubs off on my husband!!!

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked
> in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made
> it with 1/2 cup of chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded
> cheese (1pt).
> year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
> Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
> before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had
> to get it away from
me
> for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating
> too much.

what a wonderful set of NSV's, Lee
Laura <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked
> in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made
> it with 1/2 cup of chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded
> cheese (1pt).
> year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
> Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
> before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had
> to get it away from
me
> for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating
> too much.

That's really nice, Laura! My hubby is just as understanding and it really helps.

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked
> in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made
> it with 1/2 cup of chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded
> cheese (1pt).
> year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
> Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
> before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had
> to get it away from
me
> for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating
> too much.

Yes, seeing that your DH understands and respects your food needs is truly a victory. It also says a
lot about his high regard and concern for you and your well-being.

That WW might be rubbing off on him will ensure that you and he have a long life together. Congrats
to both of you for stepping away from the popcorn.

Prairie Roots

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:16:35 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of portion control. We had
>homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked in the microwave
>strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of
>chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese (1pt). A year ago
>it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
>Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
>before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had to
>get it away from me for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage. He
>realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off on him too. The old me
>would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating too much.

WOW Laura, that's amazing! Now if I only saw MY hubby do that I'd think
he'd been a victim in the invasion of the body snatchers. :)

--

~Kristin O~
272/242.2/172

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked
> in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made
> it with 1/2 cup of chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded
> cheese (1pt).
> year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
> Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
> before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had
> to get it away from
me
> for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating
> too much.

It's great that your husband is points concious for you. Popcorn is one of my downfalls. I usually
make the lowfat Orville Redenbacher stuff at 1 point for 3 cups. I'd call not eating the whole tub
of movie popcorn an NSV!
--
Brenda
209/178/150 RafL goal 165

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with lean ground beef cooked
> in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me my plate he made
> it with 1/2 cup of chili (3 pts) with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded
> cheese (1pt).
> year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
>
> Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a while
> before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more. I had
> to get it away from
me
> for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from eating
> too much.

"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Laura wrote:
> >
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt). A
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage. He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.
>
> That's a great NSV!
>
> I was lucky with my DH - as he's a type 1 diabetic, there was little training to do in the way of
> sweet snacks and the like. I just had to train him off red meat for a while, when the gall bladder
> was really bad! Now he's looking forward to gobbling all the steak in the freezer! With careful
> point calculation, I should be able to help...
>
> BTW, I had chilli for dinner too! Ours was made with Quorn - I bought it and froze it last summer,
> when a veggie friend was staying, and we had some left, so we are using it up. Feels dirt cheap
> coz it didn't come out of this week's food budget!

Hubby has always cooked dinner and tends to dish out large portions. Between all of the fast food
dinners at 8pm on my way home from work plus his large portions he's a major contributor of my 70
pounds gained in the past 5 years. I bought the WW measuring ladles last fall. Great invention.
Makes controling portions very easy. I bought 2 sets. One for here and one for my mother's house
where we spend the summer.

We love chili and with it being so cold here (0 to 10 degrees with -15 degree wind chill factors) it
was a nice warmer-upper.

I go up to bed before my DH does most nights. I hear him hitting the refrig after I go upstairs. Not
a problem for me. I can also live with him having a bowl of ice cream each night. Just as long as I
have my Skinny cow I am happy.

"Elaine Kirkham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That was a wonderful NSV, Laura. The only thing my hubby will do when he wants something that he
> knows I shouldn't have is to hide things - as long as I don't know he has it, I won't want it -
> and he's right! Elaine K
>
> Laura wrote:
>
> >It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> >control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> >ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> >my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> >with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese (1pt).
> >year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> >Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> >while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> >I had to get it away from
me
> >for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> >realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> >him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from
> >eating too much.

It's really helpful when they understand the concepts of WW to give you the extra support. None of
this "oh, a little extra won't hurt" mentality.

"Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FG5Mb.21523$xy6.60441@attbi_s02...
> Great NSV Laura!!! I hope some of it rubs off on my husband!!!
>
> --
> Janice
> 263/252/150 (maybe 130)
>

> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
> me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage.
> He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
> on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.

Thanks Lee.

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> what a wonderful set of NSV's, Lee Laura <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
> me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage.
> He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
> on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.

Yes it really helps when hubbys understand WW.

"LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:h%[email protected]...
> That's really nice, Laura! My hubby is just as understanding and it
really
> helps.
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
> me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage.
> He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
> on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.

Thanks PR. It is rubbing off on him in other ways. I see that he has reduced all of our portion
sizes now that he has learned what is "normal". He's not trying to lose weight. He could stand to
lose a bunch himself. He wants to do it "his way".

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yes, seeing that your DH understands and respects your food needs is truly a victory. It also says
> a lot about his high regard and concern for you and your well-being.
>
> That WW might be rubbing off on him will ensure that you and he have a long life together.
> Congrats to both of you for stepping away from the popcorn.
>
> Prairie Roots
>
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:16:35 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
portion
> >control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> >ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> >my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> >with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese (1pt).
> >year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> >Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> >while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> >I had to get it away from
me
> >for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the garbage.
He
> >realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
on
> >him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it meant getting sick from
> >eating too much.

If I saw my husband cleaning a bathroom I'd think that. Cooking is his thing not mine.

"Kristin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> WOW Laura, that's amazing! Now if I only saw MY hubby do that I'd think he'd been a victim in the
> invasion of the body snatchers. :)
>
> --
>
> ~Kristin O~
> 272/242.2/172
>

> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
> me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage.
> He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
> on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.

Love it but am allergic to it, this journey would be much easier if I could
eat it, Lee
Brenda Hammond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's great that your husband is points concious for you. Popcorn is one
of
> my downfalls. I usually make the lowfat Orville Redenbacher stuff at 1 point for 3 cups. I'd call
> not eating the whole tub of movie popcorn an NSV!
> --
> Brenda
> 209/178/150 RafL goal 165
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
> me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage.
> He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
> on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.

I would too. I love popcorn. I suspect if we did not throw it away after dinner that it would have
gotten eaten before the evening was over. It probably would have also made me sick.

"Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's great that your husband is points concious for you. Popcorn is one
of
> my downfalls. I usually make the lowfat Orville Redenbacher stuff at 1 point for 3 cups. I'd call
> not eating the whole tub of movie popcorn an NSV!
> --
> Brenda
> 209/178/150 RafL goal 165
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tt1Mb.11517$6y6.334346@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
lean
> > ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served me
> > my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
pts)
> > with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> >
> > Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have more.
> > I had to get it away from
> me
> > for fear of eating too much. After dinner I discovered it in the
garbage.
> He
> > realized that he did not want any more either. I guess WW is rubbing off
> on
> > him too. The old me would have hogged it for the evening even if it
meant
> > getting sick from eating too much.

DH only has two vices on a regular basis, butter cookies and chocolate
pieces, it doesn't bother me, He figured out the points without me even
asking, so one day when I inquired as to the points he already knew. I was
not interest AT ALL after that, Lee, who is eternally grateful DH does the
cooking
Laura <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I go up to bed before my DH does most nights. I hear him hitting the
refrig
> after I go upstairs. Not a problem for me. I can also live with him having
> bowl of ice cream each night. Just as long as I have my Skinny cow I am happy.
>
> "Elaine Kirkham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > That was a wonderful NSV, Laura. The only thing my hubby will do when he wants something that he
> > knows I shouldn't have is to hide things - as long as I don't know he has it, I won't want it -
> > and he's right! Elaine K
> >
> > Laura wrote:
> >
> > >It is nice to know that DH does understand WW and the importance of
> portion
> > >control. We had homemade chili over rice for dinner. He makes it with
> lean
> > >ground beef cooked in the microwave strainer for less fat content. Very yummy. When he served
> > >me my plate he made it with 1/2 cup of chili (3
> pts)
> > >with 1/2 cup of rice (2pts) with a small amount of shredded cheese
(1pt).
> > >year ago it would have been double that size plus seconds.
> > >
> > >Earlier my daughter came home from the movies with a tub of popcorn. I munched on that for a
> > >while before dinner. After dinner I put it on the dining room table for my husband to have
> > >more. I had to get it away
from

Laura wrote:

> Hubby has always cooked dinner and tends to dish out large portions. Between all of the fast food
> dinners at 8pm on my way home from work plus his large portions he's a major contributor of my 70
> pounds gained in the past 5 years. I bought the WW measuring ladles last fall. Great invention.
> Makes controling portions very easy. I bought 2 sets. One for here and one for my mother's house
> where we spend the summer.
>
> We love chili and with it being so cold here (0 to 10 degrees with -15 degree wind chill factors)
> it was a nice warmer-upper.

Chilli is a sort of internal hot water bottle!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!