'Some kind of Monster'

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
with apologies to Lars and Co...

riding into work, spot a guy i see quite regularly on my commute. He's on a slicked up mtb and perpetually seems to be wearin the same kit (or maybe that's my stereotype gland overheating :rolleyes: )

Anyway's he a fairly strongish rider and he/me often tail each other on the way in-out. I cant say we ride together cos he's obviously not used or experienced with riding WITH anyone else, as he perpetually half-wheels, does fliers at the lights and basically treats it like some dodgem derby race!
This morning we were comin in together and everytime he tired I'd go to the front. He would take it as some challenge to his peckerdom and zipp past again and wonde rwhy he kept tiring, no doubt :rolleyes:

Obviously still in race mode as we get ito the CBD, he starts running red lights, footpathing and brushing way-too-close to other riders.
Oh well, let him go, me thinks.
However ironically enuff me stopping at red lights and riding more realisitcally i keep rolling up next to him. No doubt he was getting wound up by his own inability to win this mythical 'race' he was running in his head. hehe. Kind like watching drivers fly off at lights only to stand stationery longer at the next ones. sheeeesh.
Cross flinders St and he jumps on my wheel. big open road so im windin up and i can see his shadow halfwheelin me again, as Im a block from the gym i shower at i ease up, he flies past and does that nuff-nuff drver move/assyumption where the brain tells them that if they cant see you out of their peripheral vision they must be WELL past you and so he swerves from the left-half of the rightlane across me and in front of the parked bus we passed! I hit the brakes and shorten the lives of my previously square-topped tyre a tad more!!!

Calm, dutchie, he didnt mean it!
Pull up next to him and say "Do you realise you almost killed me back there?"
"I was well past you" he assumes
"No, i had to brake so you didnt knock me off!"

OK, i can see the perspective but the following is gold!...

"Oh yeah, well we were 'duelling' all the way in!"

OK, i knew he was in race mode and having some fun, but:
How about an apology?
How about coming to the realisation that you werent 'well in front'?

and just to add his seal of quality to the scenario, the lights turn green, i weel up onto the footpath to head into gym and he rides off and yells out,
"Loser!".

Im stunned. shortly followed by anger, and the fog is descendin.
It takes all the 'the little white guy' on my shoulder to not chase him down and kick him into Thursday, but somewhere thru the fog is a voice tellin me I'll regret that big time and only makes me as bad, if not worse than him!

Im no doubt going to come across this guy again, so my question to y'all is what (if anything) do i say do?

Im thinkin of introducing myself and pointing out i enjoyed our rides together adnthat he's obviously a good rider, just not with other people perhaps due to lack of bunch experience.

suggestions welcome

flyingdutch wrote:

> Im stunned. shortly followed by anger, and the fog is descendin.
> It takes all the 'the little white guy' on my shoulder to not chase him
> down and kick him into Thursday, but somewhere thru the fog is a voice
> tellin me I'll regret that big time and only makes me as bad, if not
> worse than him!
>
> Im no doubt going to come across this guy again, so my question to
> y'all is what (if anything) do i say do?
>
> Im thinkin of introducing myself and pointing out i enjoyed our rides
> together adnthat he's obviously a good rider, just not with other
> people perhaps due to lack of bunch experience.
>
> suggestions welcome

Kicking into Thursday sounds good to me. Just coz they ride doesn't mean
they can't be an a#$%hole, just less likely to be. I think in all my
commuting time I've only come across one rider I felt like snotting so
that is a pretty good ratio over the years.

DaveB

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> [...]
>
> and just to add his seal of quality to the scenario, the lights turn
> green, i weel up onto the footpath to head into gym and he rides off
> and yells out,
> "Loser!".
>
> Im stunned. shortly followed by anger, and the fog is descendin.
> It takes all the 'the little white guy' on my shoulder to not chase him
> down and kick him into Thursday, but somewhere thru the fog is a voice
> tellin me I'll regret that big time and only makes me as bad, if not
> worse than him!
>
> Im no doubt going to come across this guy again, so my question to
> y'all is what (if anything) do i say do?
>
> Im thinkin of introducing myself and pointing out i enjoyed our rides
> together adnthat he's obviously a good rider, just not with other
> people perhaps due to lack of bunch experience.

G'day Dutchie,
It's very easy to react quickly to other's critisims or sarcastic jests but
i was really impressed on your way of thinking on the last sentence you made
(even though you wanted blood at first) about introducing yourself to him
seeing as you've been riding in together, may as well make it formal.

I reckon you might find a way to mention that he really needs to fine tune
his group riding ettiquette and suggest he join a club to encourage him to
do better and get fitter. By riding with a club, he might learn to
appreciate the dangers or riding on another's wheel. Ok that's my 4.5cents
worth!!

DJ

flyingdutch said:
Im no doubt going to come across this guy again, so my question to y'all is what (if anything) do i say do?

Im thinkin of introducing myself and pointing out i enjoyed our rides together adnthat he's obviously a good rider, just not with other people perhaps due to lack of bunch experience.

suggestions welcome

Gotta admit your story gave me a good laugh. Not at you....this time (kidding) but this macho on the mtb. He probably refers to himself in the 3rd person and sped off thinking "Your a God Bob! Bob really showed that guy. Bob is the real deal now. Bob your the poo and he got a whiff!".

But seriously if gonna come across him again sounds like you´d be wise to be polite about it and mention his skills in riding with others need some work. Maybe give macho "Bob" some suggestions on how to improve? otherwise sounds like he will just continue being a danger to you or any other cyclist he comes across.

DaveB said:
Kicking into Thursday sounds good to me. Just coz they ride doesn't mean
they can't be an a#$%hole, just less likely to be. I think in all my
commuting time I've only come across one rider I felt like snotting so
that is a pretty good ratio over the years.

DaveB
I dunno about the kicking bit.. obviously he's going to run into the same angry guy some time shortly on the commute home, so I think a conciliatory action would be best.

Call me lame but I'd ride up to the dude and have a good old chat about the wather or something inane and pretend it didn't happen (bit brittish I spose but it seems to work)
Nothing worse than having your fave route spoild by an unpleasent rider whos often there - like the dog that runs to the fence and supprise barks, even years after its moves/dead, you still fear the surprise attach. Diffuse now, rather than have overlying angst.

(my 2c worth)

Dunno... as unconfrontational as I am, it sounds like this guy is so filled with testosterone and penis envy that words are going to be relatively pointless. He sees the world as a (individual) race and everyone else as someone to beat... Wonderful arrogance - the trait i hate the most...

Having said that, perhaps a bit of sly flattery about "gee, you're really fast, you should join us at Kew crits - you'd whip everybody... " to get him along and then have his ass communally kicked by the entire field, not to mention marshalls and such?? :D Just a thought... unlikely to work I'll admit...

oely said:
He probably refers to himself in the 3rd person and sped off thinking "Your a God Bob! Bob really showed that guy. Bob is the real deal now. Bob your the poo and he got a whiff!".

FAFL

oh, that's 24 carat gold!!!

need that.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hippy no doubt would kno what to do. oh ,grasshopper, are you still 'with us' ?

F"smilin again"Dutch

"eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Having said that, perhaps a bit of sly flattery about "gee, you're
> really fast, you should join us at Kew crits - you'd whip everybody...
> " to get him along and then have his ass communally kicked by the
> entire field, not to mention marshalls and such?? :D Just a
> thought... unlikely to work I'll admit...

Nah, remember he's the competitive jerk. "You're real fast. Maybe you should
try the Kew crits. But then you probably won't be able to beat those guys,
they're way faster than you" Draw him along, then get him thoroughly beaten
(on the track and off!)

Cheers
Peter

flyingdutch wrote:
> with apologies to Lars and Co...
>
> riding into work, spot a guy i see quite regularly on my commute. He's
> on a slicked up mtb and perpetually seems to be wearin the same kit (or
> maybe that's my stereotype gland overheating :rolleyes: )

I saw some guy on your tail up High St in heavy traffic.. same guy I
assume?.. Call me back around next time if you need to tag team this
****! :)

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
I saw some guy on your tail up High St in heavy traffic.. same guy I
assume?.. Call me back around next time if you need to tag team this
****! :)

cheers,
GPL

That was him. i was even going out of my way to 'pull' him around cars where ethe gap wasnt going to be big enuff for his wide-mtb-bars

and thanks for the offer but your just gettin sucked in to the competitve side of it (like 'BR' aint seen that side of the 'Lama' :D )

Monsieur Signorini's suggestion of tempting him with the kew crits is subtely evil just enuff to work!

F"I like it! I'd buy that for a dollar"Dutch

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:25:05 +1000, eddiec
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dunno... as unconfrontational as I am, it sounds like this guy is so
>filled with testosterone and penis envy that words are going to be
>relatively pointless. He sees the world as a (individual) race and
>everyone else as someone to beat... Wonderful arrogance - the trait i
>hate the most...
>
>Having said that, perhaps a bit of sly flattery about "gee, you're
>really fast, you should join us at Kew crits - you'd whip everybody...
>" to get him along and then have his ass communally kicked by the
>entire field, not to mention marshalls and such?? :D Just a
>thought... unlikely to work I'll admit...

Those guys tend not to really want to race, they're like riceboys
with hotted up Hyundais. They pose and punce around, make
a lot of noise and drag off grandmas in old corollas to make
themselves feel good, but don't
have the strength of character to deal with not winning all the time,
so they won't compete for real where there's rules and everyone's
there to really race.

This bloke's probably from the same genepool.

As to what to do? Just keep on riding and training, and soon
enough you won't need to worry about him, he'll detonate
unless he learns to wheelsuck, and then you'll know who's
the loser :)

eddiec said:
Dunno... as unconfrontational as I am, it sounds like this guy is so filled with testosterone and penis envy that words are going to be relatively pointless. He sees the world as a (individual) race and everyone else as someone to beat... Wonderful arrogance - the trait i hate the most...

Having said that, perhaps a bit of sly flattery about "gee, you're really fast, you should join us at Kew crits - you'd whip everybody... " to get him along and then have his ass communally kicked by the entire field, not to mention marshalls and such?? :D Just a thought... unlikely to work I'll admit...

I like this tactic. Befriend the twunt, invite him along. Convince him he's good enough to attempt to race A or B grade. Watch as his ego is shattered into a thousand itsy-bitsy pieces. With you & your mates watching the spectacle. Oh joy. :p

Used to encounter this trait a bit along Station/Brunswick Street. My tactic, (if I felt like it) was to cane past my aggressor (usually male, on a road bike), sprint for 50-100m, find the first left turn & discreetly spin off somewhere else, then return to my journey. I've wondered about the degrees of damage that tactic incurred on the more egotistic types, envisage being passed by a lady on a funny looking MTB. (snigger)

Dutchie - don't get angry, get creative. :p

flyingdutch wrote:
> That was him. i was even going out of my way to 'pull' him around cars
> where ethe gap wasnt going to be big enuff for his wide-mtb-bars

I've fallen back in love with my MTB since the mods made to the
stem/flatbar/etc..

> and thanks for the offer but your just gettin sucked in to the
> competitve side of it (like 'BR' aint seen that side of the 'Lama' :D
> )

I dont know what you are talking about.. BRs are a nice leisurely paced
Sunday ride.. heh.. :)

> Monsieur Signorini's suggestion of tempting him with the kew crits is
> subtely evil just enuff to work!

Sounds good to me.. think he'll have a roadie?

cheers,
GPL

Carl Brewer said:
Those guys tend not to really want to race, they're like riceboys
with hotted up Hyundais. They pose and punce around, make
a lot of noise and drag off grandmas in old corollas to make
themselves feel good, but don't
have the strength of character to deal with not winning all the time,
so they won't compete for real where there's rules and everyone's
there to really race.

This bloke's probably from the same genepool.

As to what to do? Just keep on riding and training, and soon
enough you won't need to worry about him, he'll detonate
unless he learns to wheelsuck, and then you'll know who's
the loser :)

The only catch is that these kind of nuff-nuffs (and I've encountered a few), will have no qualms in running pedestrian crossings and red lights to make sure they beat you when their strength/skill lets them down.

Although as FD has already done, catching up to them after the lights is always very smug-inducing... In fact, I'd be half inclined to just wheelsuck him all the way in and have a nice easier ride on him... Make sure you whistle to yourself and make "I'm taking it easy" noises just to rub it in...

Eddie(uncompetitive by nature)c....

cfsmtb said:
My tactic, (if I felt like it) was to cane past my aggressor (usually male, on a road bike), sprint for 50-100m, find the first left turn & discreetly spin off somewhere else, then return to my journey. I've wondered about the degrees of damage that tactic incurred on the more egotistic types, envisage being passed by a lady on a funny looking MTB. (snigger)

Dutchie - don't get angry, get creative. :p

you ARE evil! :D :D :D

F"creatively mounting jamesbond-style astonmartin oil-sprayer on bike now..."Dutch

cfsmtb said:
Used to encounter this trait a bit along Station/Brunswick Street. My tactic, (if I felt like it) was to cane past my aggressor (usually male, on a road bike), sprint for 50-100m, find the first left turn & discreetly spin off somewhere else, then return to my journey. I've wondered about the degrees of damage that tactic incurred on the more egotistic types, envisage being passed by a lady on a funny looking MTB. (snigger)

Dutchie - don't get angry, get creative. :p

So you're one of those people who shatter my ego daily!! ;) I get passed by so many various other bikes that I'm now a master of creative excuses:

Road bike: "He's on a road bike, so naturally he's faster"
Dual-suspension: "He's got dual suspension. He must be fresher..."
Other mtb: "That must be newer/lighter than mine, so unfair advantage..."
Old heavy clunker: "I'm sure he's only ridden a few kms compared to me...."
Lady on a funny looking MTB: "Bugger... :("

Eddie(wuss)c

Ignore the pryck. Doesn't deserve your courtesy. Don't believe he'd appreciate it anyway.

flyingdutch wrote:
> [...]
>
> and just to add his seal of quality to the scenario, the lights turn
> green, i weel up onto the footpath to head into gym and he rides off
> and yells out,
> "Loser!".
>
> Im stunned. shortly followed by anger, and the fog is descendin.
> It takes all the 'the little white guy' on my shoulder to not chase him
> down and kick him into Thursday, but somewhere thru the fog is a voice
> tellin me I'll regret that big time and only makes me as bad, if not
> worse than him!
>
> Im no doubt going to come across this guy again, so my question to
> y'all is what (if anything) do i say do?
>
> Im thinkin of introducing myself and pointing out i enjoyed our rides
> together adnthat he's obviously a good rider, just not with other
> people perhaps due to lack of bunch experience.

I reckon he's demonstrated what kind of person he is already - why would
you want to befriend him?

Next time you're in front of him, try to guide him into the potholes and
glass :)

OTOH, it might be enjoyably confronting to politely ask him why you are
a loser? I reckon he only got aggro because he knew you were stopping.
Just like cowardly car drivers who abuse you and then wind the window up
and keep staring straight ahead.

--
Nick

flyingdutch wrote:
<snip>

Oooh goody my favourite!
Conflict with something that doesn't weigh 2 tonnes! :D

Make sure you are fresh and can kill him.. then..
"Hi <c-Bomb>, running some reds today?", then ride..
<insert FD handing dude's **** to him on platter>
Point, laugh, smile, lap up your victory.. this is not a time to be the
"bigger man", that's ****, kick his **** and even better, do it again
and again and again. Pretty soon the loser wont be riding on the same
stretch of road. Yeah, yeah.. "you're as bad as him" blah blah.. are you
racing to win or what? You're a racer man, not some yuppie metrosexual
scum heading into town for his manicure! KICK HIS ****! GRRRR!! :D

Sorry about that.. tired and haven't ridden for a few days.. aggression
levels high.. I need to beat some kids on trikes or a granny or
something to make myself feel better. :p

I like the suggestions of coaxing him into racing but he's probably too
chicken, but my personal fave is to close my mouth and breathe through
my nose in a very controlled fashion and maintain an absolute poker face
of non-effort and non-concern when he can see you.
When you roll up behind him after he's run another red or you pass him
and he's coughing up a lung - you look at him like he's nothing whilst
you're barely breathing - that's a beautiful moment in life! hahaha

tired evil hippy
"Don't listen to him, he knows not what he speaks!"

revenge?

or giving the bloke the message that what he did was stupid dangerous?

"Gee mate, that was a bit close. You could knock someone off their bike doing that. And you should watch out running red lights around here. There are some real **** drivers who will hit you just for fun". (said in concerned caring parent voice) And if it doesn't work, at least you can be the smug parent to his badly behaved child.

Alternatively, and in any event if the above does not work, apply your frame pump to best advantage - across his head, shoulders, poked between his shoulder blades, insert into his rear spokes.

SteveA