Some more basic questions

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Baelwulfe, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    I've been riding a lot lately, and its so sweet when I realize that I'm actually getting faster, and
    getting past stuff I used to walk over. However I hurt more now, and not from my many learning
    experiences (falls). When I go out and ride hard I the soles of my feet and the lower part of my
    palms hurt. I try to stay pretty relaxed on the bars, and am successful on most everything but a
    steep downhill. So my question's are; does my arm position need work ( I ride elbows bent out
    slightly ), or do I just need new grips, and should I get a softer or stiffer in-sole for my shoes?
    thanks for any help

    On a happier note I have all next week off work, and plan on putting some miles on my bike :)

    RH

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been riding a lot lately, and its so sweet when I realize that
    I'm
    > actually getting faster, and getting past stuff I used to walk over. However I hurt more now, and
    > not from my many learning experiences
    (falls).
    > When I go out and ride hard I the soles of my feet and the lower part of
    my
    > palms hurt. I try to stay pretty relaxed on the bars, and am successful
    on
    > most everything but a steep downhill. So my question's are; does my arm position need work ( I
    > ride elbows bent out slightly ), or do I just need new grips, and should I get a softer or stiffer
    > in-sole for my shoes?
    thanks
    > for any help
    >
    > On a happier note I have all next week off work, and plan on putting some miles on my bike :)
    >

    > RH

    Get some stiff soled MTB shoes. Sounds like you don't ride with clipless pedals, but if you get some
    good shoes that will take a cleat then you could always upgrade to clipless later without having to
    change shoes again.

    As for your hands, are you wearing gloves? If not get some good padded (pads around the base of your
    thumb - not on the palm like old school roadie gloves) MTB gloves too. If you are wearing gloves,
    you might want to try some different ones or perhaps try some bar ends for a better variety of hand
    positions.

    Matt

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Baelwulfe wrote:
    > I've been riding a lot lately, and its so sweet when I realize that I'm actually getting
    > faster, and getting past stuff I used to walk over. However I hurt more now, and not from my
    > many learning experiences (falls). When I go out and ride hard I the soles of my feet and the
    > lower part of my palms hurt. I try to stay pretty relaxed on the bars, and am successful on
    > most everything but a steep downhill. So my question's are; does my arm position need work ( I
    > ride elbows bent out slightly ), or do I just need new grips, and should I get a softer or
    > stiffer in-sole for my shoes? thanks for any help
    >
    > On a happier note I have all next week off work, and plan on putting some miles on my bike :)

    I'm with Matt - you need stiffer shoes. Be prepared for tired ankles and crampy shin muscles on the
    first couple of rides. Your feet won't be flopping around, absorbing part of your pedalling effort,
    and your other muscles are going to feel it. Ultimately, it's well worth the adjustment period.

    As to the hands, have you had anybody look at the fit of your bike? Maybe an adjustment to the stem
    or seat height might help.

    Kathleen