Some more help for a noob

Baelwulfe

Guest
I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take corners as fast as I could on my
old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires or even the air pressure
I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the ground
while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and if its not normal what I could
do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my first single track about 2
months ago and now I'm hooked.

RH

"Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take
corners
> as fast as I could on my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires
> or even the air pressure I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front
> tire to come off the ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and
> if its not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my
> first single track about 2
months
> ago and now I'm hooked.
>

> RH

It could very well be the tires and pressure, it could also be a change in the overall geometry,
which could explain your other issue. Give the bike time, I rode a lot on hard tails for years
before I bought my first full susp. It took me a full season to get used to riding it, so much was
different. But now, as I begin to ride the old hardtail on occasion, it seems odd to me.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take
> corners
> > as fast as I could on my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could
be
> > due to having wider tires or even the air pressure I'm running at
(45PSI).
> > I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the ground while climbing
> > hills? I never noticed this before on my old
bike,
> > and if its not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I
> > experienced my first single track about 2
> months
> > ago and now I'm hooked.
> >

> > RH
> >

> It could very well be the tires and pressure, it could also be a change in the overall geometry,
> which could explain your other issue. Give the bike time, I rode a lot on hard tails for years
> before I bought
my
> first full susp. It took me a full season to get used to riding it, so
much
> was different. But now, as I begin to ride the old hardtail on occasion,
it
> seems odd to me.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

What he said. I'd been off my mountain bike for about 3 weeks until tuesday, and only on the road
bike, which has radically different geometry, obviously. Anyway, when I got on the mounatin bike
Tuesday, it just didn't feel right - it was comfortable, but wrong. Too squishy in the back (its a
hardtail - and I don't think my little crack was enough to make it feel that way), too upright, etc.
etc. For a few minutes I had trouble keeping th front end down on semi-steep stuff (and again later
in the ride, I rode a wheelie halfway up a supersteep technical hill - but it was steep enough and
wet enough that there was no other way anyway!). Give it some time.

And tires really do change the ride, too, so if you can't stand it, throw some of your old style of
tires on there.

Jon Bond

<snippppperzd>

> feel right - it was comfortable, but wrong. Too squishy in the back (its
a hardtail - and I don't think my little crack was enough to make it feel that way)<

Maybe you should refer readers to a previous post, otherwise thos sounds really odd.

> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >

> > Too squishy in the back...and I don't think my little crack was enough
> make it feel that way
>
> For God's sake, Jon, don't give Rimmer openings like that.
>
> Bill "yeah, yeah...so to speak...I know" S.
>
> OK, now I REALLY AM off to ride!

Yeah, I kinda realized that I left youz guyz an "opening" (pun intended?), but I was too lazy to
cancel it ;)

Jon Bond

Check your shock pressures as well. Go to
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/050.000.000/050.500.100.asp?sPageID=050.500.100 and make sure that
you are set up properly. Start with recommended pressures, then adjust to suit your needs.

Danny

"Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take
corners
> as fast as I could on my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires
> or even the air pressure I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front
> tire to come off the ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and
> if its not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my
> first single track about 2
months

Baelwulfe wrote:
> I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take corners as fast as I could on
> my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires or even the air
> pressure I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come
> off the ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and if its
> not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my
> first single track about 2 months ago and now I'm hooked.
>

> RH

Rear suspension movement changes the steering geometry as you're riding. This will make it feel like
the rear end's not holding as well on turns. Try stiffening the suspension.

As to the front coming up... Your weight's back -- you need to be up a little higher (you probably
alaready knew this :)). It could just be adjusting to a new bike, or it could be that the bike's not
sized right for you making your riding position too far back.

David

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >

> > Too squishy in the back...and I don't think my little crack was enough
> make it feel that way
>
> For God's sake, Jon, don't give Rimmer openings like that.

Oh hell - I wouldn't take an opening like that - wrong colour for starters...... heheheheh........

> Bill "yeah, yeah...so to speak...I know" S.
>
> OK, now I REALLY AM off to ride!

Go on then - f*ck off and ride ya daft bugger, heheheheh..........

Shaun aRe

"> <snippppperzd>

> > feel right - it was comfortable, but wrong. Too squishy in the back
(its
> a hardtail - and I don't think my little crack was enough to make it feel that way)<

Does this mean you were riding a Kona Stinky? ;-)

"Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take corners as fast as I could on my
> old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires or even the air pressure
> I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the
> ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and if its not normal
> what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my first single
> track about 2 months ago and now I'm hooked.
>

> RH

You've got it figured. The two major downsides of full suspension bikes is that you have to walk
them around corners,(carrying on your shoulder is even better) and ride wheelies up hill. But
downhill blasting, dood, they rock.

Paladin

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:03:36 -0700, Baelwulfe wrote:

> I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the ground while climbing
> hills?

Not just yes, but HELL yes! It happens all the time on my hardtail, and it happened before when the
hardtail was rigid.

A fairly steep hill will require a certain balancing act to keep enough weight forward for the front
wheel not to pop up and bob all over the place (in all sort of undesirable directions) and enough
weight back to keep the back wheel from spinning out. If the hill's short you can just barrel into
it and let the momentum carry you, but long steep hills can be much more of a challenge.