Some more help for a noob

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Baelwulfe, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Baelwulfe

    Baelwulfe Guest

    I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take corners as fast as I could on my
    old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires or even the air pressure
    I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the ground
    while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and if its not normal what I could
    do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my first single track about 2
    months ago and now I'm hooked.

    RH

    Tags:

  2. "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take
    corners
    > as fast as I could on my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires
    > or even the air pressure I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front
    > tire to come off the ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and
    > if its not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my
    > first single track about 2
    months
    > ago and now I'm hooked.
    >

    > RH

    It could very well be the tires and pressure, it could also be a change in the overall geometry,
    which could explain your other issue. Give the bike time, I rode a lot on hard tails for years
    before I bought my first full susp. It took me a full season to get used to riding it, so much was
    different. But now, as I begin to ride the old hardtail on occasion, it seems odd to me.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take
    > corners
    > > as fast as I could on my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could
    be
    > > due to having wider tires or even the air pressure I'm running at
    (45PSI).
    > > I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the ground while climbing
    > > hills? I never noticed this before on my old
    bike,
    > > and if its not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I
    > > experienced my first single track about 2
    > months
    > > ago and now I'm hooked.
    > >

    > > RH
    > >

    > It could very well be the tires and pressure, it could also be a change in the overall geometry,
    > which could explain your other issue. Give the bike time, I rode a lot on hard tails for years
    > before I bought
    my
    > first full susp. It took me a full season to get used to riding it, so
    much
    > was different. But now, as I begin to ride the old hardtail on occasion,
    it
    > seems odd to me.
    >
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    What he said. I'd been off my mountain bike for about 3 weeks until tuesday, and only on the road
    bike, which has radically different geometry, obviously. Anyway, when I got on the mounatin bike
    Tuesday, it just didn't feel right - it was comfortable, but wrong. Too squishy in the back (its a
    hardtail - and I don't think my little crack was enough to make it feel that way), too upright, etc.
    etc. For a few minutes I had trouble keeping th front end down on semi-steep stuff (and again later
    in the ride, I rode a wheelie halfway up a supersteep technical hill - but it was steep enough and
    wet enough that there was no other way anyway!). Give it some time.

    And tires really do change the ride, too, so if you can't stand it, throw some of your old style of
    tires on there.

    Jon Bond

  4. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    <snippppperzd>

    > feel right - it was comfortable, but wrong. Too squishy in the back (its
    a hardtail - and I don't think my little crack was enough to make it feel that way)<

    Maybe you should refer readers to a previous post, otherwise thos sounds really odd.

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Too squishy in the back...and I don't think my little crack was enough to
    make it feel that way

    For God's sake, Jon, don't give Rimmer openings like that.

    Bill "yeah, yeah...so to speak...I know" S.

    OK, now I REALLY AM off to ride!

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Too squishy in the back...and I don't think my little crack was enough
    > make it feel that way
    >
    > For God's sake, Jon, don't give Rimmer openings like that.
    >
    > Bill "yeah, yeah...so to speak...I know" S.
    >
    > OK, now I REALLY AM off to ride!

    Yeah, I kinda realized that I left youz guyz an "opening" (pun intended?), but I was too lazy to
    cancel it ;)

    Jon Bond

  7. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Check your shock pressures as well. Go to
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/050.000.000/050.500.100.asp?sPageID=050.500.100 and make sure that
    you are set up properly. Start with recommended pressures, then adjust to suit your needs.

    Danny

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take
    corners
    > as fast as I could on my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires
    > or even the air pressure I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front
    > tire to come off the ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and
    > if its not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my
    > first single track about 2
    months
    > ago and now I'm hooked.
    >

    > RH

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Baelwulfe wrote:
    > I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take corners as fast as I could on
    > my old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires or even the air
    > pressure I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come
    > off the ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and if its
    > not normal what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my
    > first single track about 2 months ago and now I'm hooked.
    >

    > RH

    Rear suspension movement changes the steering geometry as you're riding. This will make it feel like
    the rear end's not holding as well on turns. Try stiffening the suspension.

    As to the front coming up... Your weight's back -- you need to be up a little higher (you probably
    alaready knew this :)). It could just be adjusting to a new bike, or it could be that the bike's not
    sized right for you making your riding position too far back.

    David

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Too squishy in the back...and I don't think my little crack was enough
    > make it feel that way
    >
    > For God's sake, Jon, don't give Rimmer openings like that.

    Oh hell - I wouldn't take an opening like that - wrong colour for starters...... heheheheh........

    > Bill "yeah, yeah...so to speak...I know" S.
    >
    > OK, now I REALLY AM off to ride!

    Go on then - f*ck off and ride ya daft bugger, heheheheh..........

    Shaun aRe

  10. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    "> <snippppperzd>

    > > feel right - it was comfortable, but wrong. Too squishy in the back
    (its
    > a hardtail - and I don't think my little crack was enough to make it feel that way)<

    Does this mean you were riding a Kona Stinky? ;-)

  11. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Baelwulfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just purchased a Giant NRS, and have noticed that I can't take corners as fast as I could on my
    > old hard tail. I was wondering if this could be due to having wider tires or even the air pressure
    > I'm running at (45PSI). I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the
    > ground while climbing hills? I never noticed this before on my old bike, and if its not normal
    > what I could do to keep it from occurring. Thanks for any help, I experienced my first single
    > track about 2 months ago and now I'm hooked.
    >

    > RH

    You've got it figured. The two major downsides of full suspension bikes is that you have to walk
    them around corners,(carrying on your shoulder is even better) and ride wheelies up hill. But
    downhill blasting, dood, they rock.

    Paladin

  12. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:03:36 -0700, Baelwulfe wrote:

    > I was also wondering if its normal for my front tire to come off the ground while climbing
    > hills?

    Not just yes, but HELL yes! It happens all the time on my hardtail, and it happened before when the
    hardtail was rigid.

    A fairly steep hill will require a certain balancing act to keep enough weight forward for the front
    wheel not to pop up and bob all over the place (in all sort of undesirable directions) and enough
    weight back to keep the back wheel from spinning out. If the hill's short you can just barrel into
    it and let the momentum carry you, but long steep hills can be much more of a challenge.