Some newbie questions...bear with me!

portugee

Jan 31, 2006
I recently purchased a used cannondale r600, it has the older downtube shifters, all 8 speed 105 components, and mavic wheels. The bikes is in excellent condition and has been a blast to ride around my college and downtown San Diego. Now, I want to make some upgrades such as sti shifters, but I'm not sure what is compatiable and which components would make the bike more competitive if I decide to compete at the collegiate level. That's if the bike could ever reach that point.
thanks

portugee said:
I recently purchased a used cannondale r600, it has the older downtube shifters, all 8 speed 105 components, and mavic wheels. The bikes is in excellent condition and has been a blast to ride around my college and downtown San Diego. Now, I want to make some upgrades such as sti shifters, but I'm not sure what is compatiable and which components would make the bike more competitive if I decide to compete at the collegiate level. That's if the bike could ever reach that point.
thanks

If you're a college student you probably don't have the cash to spend on the proper upgrades nor would you want to. You might be able to pick up some 105 8 speed brifters off eBay for cheap. If you go with NOS 9 speed 105 stuff you're looking at brifters and cassette at a bare minimum. Ride it like ya stole it and enjoy. If you get into cycling then you could consider a new bike. The cost of upgrading an older bike on a large scale can be financially non-prudent.

portugee said:
thanks
You could always go with Sora 8-speed STI shifters--they should "bolt" right in. Sure they aren't 105 but they aren't too bad and the price is right. As far as compatibility, usually if you upgrade to more speeds you need to replace the shifters, cassette, chain, etc. basically lots of parts. Usually the rear derailleur and crank are more forgiving as far as mixing and matching speeds. If I were you I would just get some Sora STIs and spend money on new pedals, saddle, etc. Putting extra training time on the bike will usually yield much more than an extra speed or 200 gram weight savings. Good luck.

Thanks for the fast replies! I've done some research on ebay and found some used 8 speed ultegra shifters. Also, there are some shimano 600 and dura ace 8 speed rear derailleurs on there as well, but is it worth the upgrade?
thanks

portugee said:
Thanks for the fast replies! I've done some research on ebay and found some used 8 speed ultegra shifters. Also, there are some shimano 600 and dura ace 8 speed rear derailleurs on there as well, but is it worth the upgrade?
thanks

If the current derailleurs are in decent shape, don't bother upgrading. If I recall correctly, Dura-ace 8s rear derailleur was not compatible with shimano shifters other than DA. Look for ultegra, 105, or Sora 8s STI shifters and keep the current RD. If your chain and cassette are worn, consider replacing them as needed.

John M said:
If the current derailleurs are in decent shape, don't bother upgrading. If I recall correctly, Dura-ace 8s rear derailleur was not compatible with shimano shifters other than DA. Look for ultegra, 105, or Sora 8s STI shifters and keep the current RD. If your chain and cassette are worn, consider replacing them as needed.
I’ll agree 100% with this post. As long as your bike is well maintained and has descent parts, you will probably get more bang for your buck by spending it on cycling shorts, shoes, jerseys, etc. Or perhaps invest in some training aids (heart rate monitor, trainer, roller, etc.) Above all, if you want to go faster: ride, ride ride!