Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Some Rim ERD Questions

Started by BCDrums · · Last activity · 3 posts · 742 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 May 2008
Last activity
11 May 2008
Original author
BCDrums
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
742
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'd like to replace a rim with a flat spot without replacing the wheel's
    spokes- it's on a bike I rarely ride, so I'm looking for the least
    expensive fix The current rim is a Mavic MA40. My copy of Spocalc says
    this rim has an ERD of 613. But here's what it says in Spocalc:

    "Mavic MA40 (ERD is Mavic's spoke support dia + 3mm for nipples)"

    I'm not sure what that means for the ERD of a new rim. Should I be
    looking for a rim with an ERD of 613, or 613-3 (610)?

    Also, is there any leeway on the ERD for a new rim? Can I get away with
    613 or 611?

    Would anyone care to suggest a favorite (inexpensive) rim with the right
    ERD? The bike is an old tourer (a Tanguy) on which I once rode
    cross-country.

    Thanks!
    BC

  2. BCDrums said:

    "Mavic MA40 (ERD is Mavic's spoke support dia + 3mm for nipples)"

    My version of Spocalc just lists the MA-40 as 613 mm with no note.

    I think they're saying that the nipple head has some thicknes, so the
    top of the nipple is about 1.5 mm above where the nipple rests on the
    rim.

    Also, some folks like to have the spokes flush with the top of the
    nipple, others like then to come to the botton of the slot in the
    nipple.

    If the spokes are too long, the nipple can bottom out and yoy won't be
    able to get enough tension. If they're too short you might not have
    enough thread engagement.

    I usually calculate the spoke length using the given ERD, and then
    subtract 1 mm from the resulting spoke length when ordering.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure what that means for the ERD of a new rim. Should I be
    looking for a rim with an ERD of 613, or 613-3 (610)?

    First, see where the spokes end in the nipples of your current wheel.
    If they're just right, I would get another 613 mm ERD rim. If they're
    a little short, you could go with a slightly smaller ERD rim.

    You don't have to be dead on, but it's better for the spokes to be 1
    or 2 mm shorter than ideal rather than 1 or 2 mm longer.

    Art Harris

  3. BCDrums said:

    I'd like to replace a rim with a flat spot without replacing the wheel's
    spokes- it's on a bike I rarely ride, so I'm looking for the least
    expensive fix The current rim is a Mavic MA40. My copy of Spocalc says
    this rim has an ERD of 613. But here's what it says in Spocalc:

    "Mavic MA40 (ERD is Mavic's spoke support dia + 3mm for nipples)"

    I'm not sure what that means for the ERD of a new rim. Should I be
    looking for a rim with an ERD of 613, or 613-3 (610)?

    If the spoke is still recessed a couple mms into the backside of the
    nip, you should be able to get away with a Sun CR18 with an ERD of
    611. Wrong color, of course...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.