Some shimano questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kentiger, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. kentiger

    kentiger Guest

    Recently took my Kestrel 200SCi into the LBS for buidling up. I
    installed most of the parts I bought online myself to save me a bit of
    money. I get a call from the mechanic telling me that the Dura Ace 7700
    series BB (size 109.5) is the wrong one for my 7700 series double crank
    set. Now I will admit to not knowing everything there is to know about
    bike stuff but I did my homework and am dead certain this is just not
    true. 109.5 is for a double crank set up..118 is for triple. He's
    trying to tell me the opposite. Am I being handed a lie to try and sell
    me something I don't need. All of my other splined double cranks have
    used this same BB and they all work fine. He said the chainline is too
    far to the inside.
    Also..any know how I can find out if the following part is for 9 or 8
    speed Dura Ace chainrings?
    3-16P9B530
    1EA(ZJ-0)
    and
    4-16P39000
    1EA(ZH-0)
    thanks very much for any help you can provide
    Kent

    Tags:

  2. kentiger wrote:

    > Recently took my Kestrel 200SCi into the LBS for buidling up. I
    > installed most of the parts I bought online myself to save me a bit of
    > money. I get a call from the mechanic telling me that the Dura Ace 7700
    > series BB (size 109.5) is the wrong one for my 7700 series double crank
    > set. Now I will admit to not knowing everything there is to know about
    > bike stuff but I did my homework and am dead certain this is just not
    > true. 109.5 is for a double crank set up..118 is for triple.

    You're correct.

    > He's
    > trying to tell me the opposite. Am I being handed a lie to try and sell
    > me something I don't need.

    More likely he's just mistaken.

    > All of my other splined double cranks have
    > used this same BB and they all work fine. He said the chainline is too
    > far to the inside.

    Kestrels, if mem'ry serves, use braze-on type front derailers. It's
    conceivable that the braze-on is too far to the right, due to the
    construction of the frame, and as a result the front derailer may not be
    able to move as far inward as it should.

    If that's the case, I'd suggest that going to a 118 bb might be an
    overcorrection.

    The 109.5 bb gives a chainline of 43.5 mm, which is the normal road
    standard.

    A 118 would move it out to 48 mm, which is excessive.

    A more moderate correction could be accomplished by adding a spacer
    washer or two under the right side retaining ring, or by installing a
    112 or 116 (XTR) BB. (These are getting a bit difficult to find though...)

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline

    and: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize

    Sheldon "Chainline" Brown
    | Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice |
    | that which is adequately explained by stupidity." |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    Vice versa.
    On 5 Mar 2005 09:07:43 -0800, "kentiger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Recently took my Kestrel 200SCi into the LBS for buidling up. I
    >installed most of the parts I bought online myself to save me a bit of
    >money. I get a call from the mechanic telling me that the Dura Ace 7700
    >series BB (size 109.5) is the wrong one for my 7700 series double crank
    >set. Now I will admit to not knowing everything there is to know about
    >bike stuff but I did my homework and am dead certain this is just not
    >true. 109.5 is for a double crank set up..118 is for triple. He's
    >trying to tell me the opposite. Am I being handed a lie to try and sell
    >me something I don't need. All of my other splined double cranks have
    >used this same BB and they all work fine. He said the chainline is too
    >far to the inside.

    A mechanic who'd err about the requisite spindle length for a Shimano
    Octalink double crank could also be a likely candidate to flub proper
    orientation of the 109.5 spindle when it's installed in the frame.
    Although their overhang offsets aren't conspicuously different, model
    7700 bottom bracket spindles aren't fully symmetrical. If one is
    installed backwards, the chainline may be brought toward the
    centerline sufficient to reduce clearance between the chainstay and
    inner chainring to the point of touching.

    You should also ensure that your own adventures in self-helpfulness
    didn't have you mount the inner chainring wrong-side out on the crank.
    Inner chainrings for Shimano 7700 cranks have teeth that have a
    significant offset. If you mount it reversed to its intended
    direction, the teeth'll be several mm. closer to the chainstay than if
    the 'ring is hung correctly.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    http://www.businesscycles.com
    Since 1983
    Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
    -------------------------------

  4. kentiger

    kentiger Guest

    Thank you all for chiming in with your viewpoints. Several of which are
    things I would not have considered (hence my need to post where people
    have considered them). I'm sure all of this will be cleared up in the
    near future and I'll be out on the road joining 'some of' you soon.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Kent

  5. kentiger

    kentiger Guest

    An update of sorts on the situation. Seems that the BB was the correct
    make/model/size/length whatever for double cranks. The rings were also
    for DA 9speed. BUT. The rear wheel..an American Classic CR-420 has a
    slightly more outboard cassette body than other Shimano compatible
    wheels. So much so in fact that it is almost rubbing the chain against
    the inside of the rear dropout. This, in effect, created an a poor
    chainline and is the reason the mech thought the problem lay in the
    crank/rings/BB. Not sure how this is seeing as the wheels worked
    perfectly (well, for me anyway) on my Softride tri bike using the exact
    system. Anyone have an opinion on why this would be? Kind of a bummer
    if I can't use these wheels on this bike...but there are other options
    I suppose.