Somebody buy Beloki a Windcheetah

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Welch, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    With the icy mornings recently I've been using a Windcheetah (recumbent trike) to get to and from
    the station. The combination of stong winds a hilly route and my total inability to get out of bed
    in good time means that I've usually had to really go for it. I've had a feeling that this has
    resulted in a bit more muscle going on the old thighs. My times for this ride on the Windcheetah are
    now pretty much the same as my upright times from the summer (despite the bike, lights, luggage etc
    weighing a fair few pounds more). But I was totally unprepared for the effect when I got back on the
    upright for a 30 mile spin this weekend. OK the joy of ridding in the sunshine may have had some
    effect, but man I was really flying up those hills. Knocked 10% off my previous best time for this
    route and even had to get off and throw some grass in the air to convince myself that there really
    wasn't a tail wind!

    I think the extra stength comes from the fact that you can't stand in the recumbent position so
    trying to power up hills is effectively like doing bench presses. If you are putting pleanty of
    effort in then an hour of those a day works wonders for your leg strength. OK I guess Beloki is
    already spending plenty of time in the gym. But for those of us who can't stand the gym being able
    to boost your leg strength just by changing bikes for a few weeks seems like a good deal.

    Problem is that this ride also served to convince me that what I really enjoy is standing on the
    pedals and powering up hills. So I reckon the trike will have to go. Don't get me wrong, it's a
    great machine for certain rides. I bought it so that I could ride through the winter while my wife
    is on maternity leave and, given the state of the roads some mornings, I don't know what I'd have
    done without it. It is also great for long leisurely rides and if my premium bonds came up I'd keep
    it just so I could continue to admire it. But I can see that once my wife returns to work (in the
    same building as me) and our child goes to the nursery down the road I'm just not going to be riding
    it much and basically it deserves to be ridden.

    I'll post a proper for sale note once the danger of ice has passed and I've given it a thorough
    service. But if anybody fancies a Windcheetah but is put off by the price of a new one then let me
    know (plenty of pictures at http://windcheetah.fotopic.net).

    Cheers,

    Andy

    Tags:

  2. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 17-Feb-2003, "Just meeeeeee." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How much would you be selling it for???

    How much have you got :)

    Seriously, I haven't given it too much thought. I've mainly been wrestling with whether to part with
    it or not. It's a cool machine but at the end of the day I think somebody else might get more use
    out of it than I will and it really deserves better than to sit in my shed.

    I guess the price would depend on exactly what was included in the sale.
    E.g. it's currently got a set of 6W and 10W lights that use a lead acid battery, for which I bought
    a nice smart charger. I could keep those for use with my other bikes, but might also include
    them in the sale if somebody was looking for a fully sorted winter machine. I was also planning
    on doing a full strip down and service before parting with it. You know the sort of thing, new
    cables, bearings probably a new freewheel and chain, maybe replace the seat rubbers. Not that
    there is anything wrong with the way it runs now but I'd like it to look its best if it's going
    to a new home :)

    I guess once I'd done all that I'd probably look for something close to £1400, depending on whether
    the lights were included and how many new bits I'd put on during the service. I'm afraid a
    Windcheetah will never be cheap. Even a clubsport will run you £2570 once you add the rack,
    mudguards and VAT (and you don't get the nice light carbon fibre seat with that). So I think that
    would be a fair price.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >> How much would you be selling it for???

    > How much have you got :)

    Please be assured that if it's more than I can afford I will have to kill you, which would be
    very sad :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 17-Feb-2003, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Please be assured that if it's more than I can afford I will have to kill you, which would be
    > very sad :)

    Not thinking of increasing the number of wheels on your wagon are you Guy?

    Cheers,

    Andy

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > > Please be assured that if it's more than I can afford I will have to
    kill
    > > you, which would be very sad :)

    > Not thinking of increasing the number of wheels on your wagon are you Guy?

    On the front page of my website is a link to "the vehicle I lust after" - and yes, it's a
    Windcheetah :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. [email protected] wrote
    > Problem is that this ride also served to convince me that what I really enjoy is standing on the
    > pedals and powering up hills. So I reckon the trike will have to go.

    As you know I'm quite interested in a recumbent trike. If you write to me via email I'd like to ask
    you a few questions about it!

    -Myra

  7. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 18-Feb-2003, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On the front page of my website is a link to "the vehicle I lust after" - and yes, it's a
    > Windcheetah :)

    Well your lusting days are over. Send me a cheque and I'll stick it in the post :)

    Cheers,

    Andy

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:07:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >> On the front page of my website is a link to "the vehicle I lust after" - and yes, it's a
    >> Windcheetah :)

    >Well your lusting days are over. Send me a cheque and I'll stick it in the post :)

    The cheque was vetoed by the finance director :-/ (still working on her, though...)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.