Someone has to spoil it.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Had to work 0700-1900 yesterday as someone went sick, but all was not lost. My workmates were having
    a big night out around town, so I got a shower at work and headed into town on the way home.

    After locking up the bike, I walked the short distance to The George pub, in the land of
    Green Ginger.

    http://home.unitynet.co.uk/swldxer/george.htm

    Usually town pubs don't have much in the way of real ale, but this had a new barrel of Timothy
    Taylor Landlord on, which I seemed to have to myself. As my alibi with our lass only lasted until
    2100, it was soon time to drink up, but not until I'd had a quick smooch with an old flame from 23
    years ago who happened to be in there :)

    Bike was not tampered with and I set off for the 5 mile ride home. Everything seemed perfect until
    a car full of boneheads passed by with some idiot in the back who thought it would be funny if he
    lobbed his empty bottle out the window. It missed by a mile though and they got stopped at the red
    light, but unfortunately it changed to green before I could get within range of the number plate.

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I think that there will always be idiots in cars. I was riding home last year when a car overtook at
    speed and the yob in the back seat lent out and hollered in my ear. I jumped (if you can jump
    sitting on a bike) quite considerably and nearly lost control of the bike, fortunately I kept
    control, I dread to think what could have happened as it was in pretty heavy traffic.

    I have also been hit in the upper back/back of head area by a half full beer can thrown thrown from
    a speeding car - I was walking at the time - although I doubt that the idiots would have decided
    against throwing it if I'd be on the bike.

    The consequences of a cyclist being struck by an object thrown from a car could be dire indeed
    (although my worst crash ever was a result of being hit in the eye by a suicidal fly). I guess that
    all we can do really is report them if we can catch the number plate but as you say that's not easy.

    Keep enjoying the cycling,

    Kind Regards, Paul.

  3. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    "Simon Mason" wrote ...

    > Usually town pubs don't have much in the way of real ale, but this had a new barrel of Timothy
    > Taylor Landlord on, which I seemed to have to
    myself.
    > As my alibi with our lass only lasted until 2100, it was soon time to
    drink
    > up, but not until I'd had a quick smooch with an old flame from 23 years
    ago
    > who happened to be in there :)

    Hmmm, could this be a Hull thing - I've been cut off, shouted at, even spat upon there, before I
    moved South...

    Brought back memories of the Ginger though - hope you weren't cycling over the limit?

    AndyK

  4. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul <[email protected]> writes

    >(although my worst crash ever was a result of being hit in the eye by a suicidal fly).

    That's why I always wear eye protection, especially after a large bee gave me a painful whack on the
    forehead a few years back (I had shades on, but it made me think what might have been the outcome if
    I hadn't and its aim had been slightly different).

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  5. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Garry Broad <[email protected]> writes

    >I remember that Timothy Taylor Landlord....very nice beer if memory serves me correct. I
    >remember York.

    Madonna's tipple of choice, apparently.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Yob culture and binge drinking, is it my imagination, or is it on the increase? Or am I just
    > getting older?
    >
    > I remember that Timothy Taylor Landlord....very nice beer if memory serves me correct. I
    > remember York.

    All this 'I remember' suggests that you are, in fact, getting old.

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    congokid wrote:
    > That's why I always wear eye protection, especially after a large bee gave me a painful whack on
    > the forehead a few years back

    I never ride without eye protection, mainly for protection against insects, but also against stones
    and grit, and to stop my eyes drying out in the wind (in fact I regard glasses as the main
    requirement for cycling, after the bike of course).

    Mind you, I had to scrape a fly out of my eye the other day after the little bugger managed to get
    behind my cycling glasses and then couldn't get out again.

    Thomas Paine

  8. John B

    John B Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > congokid wrote:
    > > That's why I always wear eye protection, especially after a large bee gave me a painful whack on
    > > the forehead a few years back
    >
    > Mind you, I had to scrape a fly out of my eye the other day after the little bugger managed to get
    > behind my cycling glasses and then couldn't get out again.

    I nearly always used ordinary style tinted glasses, mainly to stop small flies and midges causing
    problems, but since the Round the Island ride its been super-cool dark wrap-around shades, coupled
    with the mean don't mess with me look.

    Its nothing to do with looking the part or anything, but while on the IOW a large buzzing bee or
    wasp got caught behind the bridge of the my old glasses, resulting having to pull in [1].

    [1] I lied. I was sh*t scared and slammed on the anchors and my flapping of arms nearly
    caused take off.

    Its now wrap-arounds all the time.

    John B

  9. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:04:50 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Yob culture and binge drinking, is it my imagination, or is it on the increase? Or am I just
    >> getting older?
    >>
    >> I remember that Timothy Taylor Landlord....very nice beer if memory serves me correct. I
    >> remember York.
    >

    >All this 'I remember' suggests that you are, in fact, getting old.

    Yes indeed, no doubt, but it's also nice to cherish the memory to remember it.

    gb

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:
    > I couldn't get the bugger out either and had to stay stopped until my eye had at least somehow
    > adjusted to its presence squashed under the eyelid. Only got it out later when I got to work and
    > could look in the mirror.

    That's one advantage of mirrored cycling glasses. I took mine off and used them to see what I was
    doing as I scraped the fly out of my eye.

    Thomas Paine

  11. "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Richard Goodman wrote:
    > > I couldn't get the bugger out either and had to stay stopped until my eye had at least somehow
    > > adjusted to its presence squashed under the eyelid. Only got it out later when I got to work and
    > > could look in the mirror.
    >
    > That's one advantage of mirrored cycling glasses. I took mine off and used them to see what I was
    > doing as I scraped the fly out of my eye.

    Oh smart! I hadn't thought of that. That'll be mirrored glasses for me too then, when I get around
    to buying them!

    Rich

  12. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  13. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:51:05 +0100, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think that there will always be idiots in cars.

    A quick read of uk.tosspot should be enough to convince you of the truth of this.

    --
    Dave...

  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message <snip>
    > Yob culture and binge drinking, is it my imagination, or is it on the increase? Or am I just
    > getting older?

    Is it any coincidence that yob could stand for y'old b*stard, as in "y'old b*stard, this is
    culture" ?

    > I remember that Timothy Taylor Landlord....very nice beer if memory serves me correct. I
    > remember York.

    Memory serving correctly and remembering York indicates not THAT old and ineffective beer ;-)

    > Garry

    Dave.

  15. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > "Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message <snip>
    >
    >>Yob culture and binge drinking, is it my imagination, or is it on the increase? Or am I just
    >>getting older?
    >
    > Is it any coincidence that yob could stand for y'old b*stard, as in "y'old b*stard, this is
    > culture" ?

    Yes, just coincidence. The etymology suggests it is "boy" spelled backwards, from about 1908. (Says
    he, holding the pedantry flag until Guy gets back from York :).

    >>I remember that Timothy Taylor Landlord....very nice beer if memory serves me correct. I
    >>remember York.
    >
    > Memory serving correctly and remembering York indicates not THAT old and ineffective beer ;-)

    Other than it bing the barstaff serving me correctly, I concur.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  16. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:48:34 +0100 someone who may be "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >That's one advantage of mirrored cycling glasses. I took mine off and used them to see what I was
    >doing as I scraped the fly out of my eye.

    Splutter. I laughed so much I need a new keyboard.