Someone Help ME!!!!

Seki

Aug 30, 2004
Hi all!

I was wanting some opinions on what I should do :confused:

I am getting into bike riding to try and get back into shape :p but I also would like to try some mtb in the near future, but for now, I am mostly going to use the bike on the street.

My friend just sold me a GT Zaskar LE for 100 bucks. I'm really not sure what year it is but it has a polished aluminum frame and i'm assuming that it is at least 8-10 years old. It is in relatively good condition as far as I can tell. (total noob here) It has shimano deore xt parts all around. Not sure on the model numbers but i know the shifters are M737's. The fork is a Rockshox Mag 21, and that's about all I know.

Problem: I know the frame is too tall for me! I stradle the top frame and it is up to my crotch with my feet flat.

Questions: How important is the fit for me? Should I keep the bike? or go out and buy a new one that is the right size?

I would appreciate any help!!! THANX

Seki said:
Hi all!

I am getting into bike riding to try and get back into shape :p but I also would like to try some mtb in the near future, but for now, I am mostly going to use the bike on the street.

My friend just sold me a GT Zaskar LE for 100 bucks. I'm really not sure what year it is but it has a polished aluminum frame and i'm assuming that it is at least 8-10 years old. It is in relatively good condition as far as I can tell. (total noob here) It has shimano deore xt parts all around. Not sure on the model numbers but i know the shifters are M737's. The fork is a Rockshox Mag 21, and that's about all I know.

Problem: I know the frame is too tall for me! I stradle the top frame and it is up to my crotch with my feet flat.

Questions: How important is the fit for me? Should I keep the bike? or go out and buy a new one that is the right size?

:eek: :eek: if it is that close to you jewels you want a different bike, I mean if you slip off or fall off whatever I will not want to be you... :eek: :eek: ouch

Go to a bike shop and get yourself measured. Don't mess about too much with frame size, especially if the frame is too big, which it sounds like it could be.

Ratty said:
Go to a bike shop and get yourself measured. Don't mess about too much with frame size, especially if the frame is too big, which it sounds like it could be.
I am going down tommorow. thanx...but should i get a new bike? lol or is it worth it to keep what i have ? :confused:

Seki said:
I am going down tommorow. thanx...but should i get a new bike? lol or is it worth it to keep what i have ? :confused:

If the frame size is right for you, and the bike is in pretty good condition, then I would say keep it until you are sure that cycling is for you.

If it doesn't, then look at buying a new bike.

Or, if you see a bike that you like, whether or not the old one fits, buy it anyway. Sometimes you just gotta say, what the . . .

Seki said:
Hi all!

good way to size a frame : inside leg measurement ( shoeless , feet about 15 cm apart / 6 inches ) X 0·65 / saddle hight x 0·85 ( +/- )

ie 83 cm x 0·65 = 53·95 say 54 cm ( 21.25 inches )

unless the frame has sloping or your one of those with longer / shorter limbs than normal ; if between sizes go smaller and sort it out with the handlebar stem .
good luck :cool:

if you like the bike, and enjoy riding it for the time being, don't bother buying another one until you ride enough to figure out what you like on the bike, and what you don't.