Someone nicked the brake blocks off my girlfriends bike...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zardoz900, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Zardoz900

    Zardoz900 Guest

    How nasty is that? The bike is a sub-£100 atb with shit components parked overnight in a public
    place (someone has already had the front wheel).

    So we were out yesterday in the sunshine when I noticed she didn't have any rear blocks. You need an
    Allen key and / or a spanner, and I think you'd have to unclip the cable from the mechanism to free
    the blocks (and whoever then reclipped it). It can't be for the value of the components.

    Z.Newbury, hardly the scummiest part of the world ever.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Zardoz900" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How nasty is that? The bike is a sub-£100 atb with shit components parked overnight in a public
    > place (someone has already had the front wheel).
    >
    > So we were out yesterday in the sunshine when I noticed she didn't have any rear blocks. You need
    > an Allen key and / or a spanner, and I think you'd have to unclip the cable from the mechanism to
    > free the blocks (and whoever then reclipped it). It can't be for the value of the components.

    Someone did that to my daughter's bike while it was at her school. I wrote to the school and they
    brought it up in assembly.

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes
    >Someone did that to my daughter's bike while it was at her school. I wrote to the school and they
    >brought it up in assembly.

    Very apt, being as someone had disassembled her bike! ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:51:43 +0000, Zardoz900 did issue forth:

    > So we were out yesterday in the sunshine when I noticed she didn't have any rear blocks. You need
    > an Allen key and / or a spanner, and I think you'd have to unclip the cable from the mechanism to
    > free the blocks (and whoever then reclipped it). It can't be for the value of the components.

    One of the people I lived with in my first year in university had their brakes nicked. We'd bought
    him V-brakes for his birthday, something which approximately doubled the value of the bike.

  5. Clogicrogerc

    Clogicrogerc Guest

    <<One of the people I lived with in my first year in university had their brakes nicked. We'd bought
    him V-brakes for his birthday, something which approximately doubled the value of the bike.>>

    Equally pathetic, on my trail bike I had a quick release saddle and used to remove it when locking
    the bike on the street. Sure, I kept my saddle, but someone stole the quick release bolt!

    Now that is petty isn't it.

    Bristol. O well. I've had 2 bikes stolen (both "securely" locked) since I moved here in 1990 and a
    trailer stolen and about 5 car break ins.

    RC

  6. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:51:43 +0000, Zardoz900 did issue forth:
    >
    >> So we were out yesterday in the sunshine when I noticed she didn't have any rear blocks. You need
    >> an Allen key and / or a spanner, and I think you'd have to unclip the cable from the mechanism to
    >> free the blocks (and whoever then reclipped it). It can't be for the value of the components.
    >
    > One of the people I lived with in my first year in university had their brakes nicked. We'd bought
    > him V-brakes for his birthday, something which approximately doubled the value of the bike.

    Worst thing that happened to me at uni was someone tangled some string round my bike. They must have
    taken ages to do it, the string was through the wheels, the frame and the chain. It took me ages to
    untangle it, I didn't have a knife and it was too hard to break with my hands.
    --
    Mark

  7. In news:[email protected], Zardoz900 <[email protected]> typed:

    > Z.Newbury, hardly the scummiest part of the world ever.

    You'd be surprised. There's a lot of druggies with warped minds out there, the sort who can't be
    bothered to fix their own bike but will think nothing of nicking even cheap bits off someone elses.
    Incidentally I'm not an "old fart" and actually have fairly liberal views about drugs, but I *do*
    get pissed off when people take them and feel they don't have to bother working or contributing to
    society....

    Some of the things that seem to go on in the that area now shock me, and I live in *Reading*!

    On a brighter note I used to live in Thatcham from 1980-1983 (age 8-11), and remember fondly
    riding my bike up and down the roads of that village. A great rite of passage was when I was first
    allowed to go past Pound Lane on my own (my parents were worried due to the big lorries from the
    depot that was there). As before I had always lived in London or urban Reading, it was really cool
    to grow up in what was then a village environment with loads of open space! I bet it is all built
    up now and unsafe for kids to ride there now due to traffic and lunatics who would probably fire a
    harpoon at them.

    Alex

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 17 Mar 2003 17:59:08 GMT, [email protected] (CLogicRogerC) wrote:

    >Equally pathetic, on my trail bike I had a quick release saddle and used to remove it when locking
    >the bike on the street. Sure, I kept my saddle, but someone stole the quick release bolt!
    >
    >Now that is petty isn't it.

    Several years ago I had to pop along to the hospital to have a few rib x-rays. I D-locked my bike to
    a handy lamp post. A few hours later, having been well and truly poked, prodded and zapped, I went
    outside only to see by bike in all its glory (not) but with the saddle missing.

    The thief can't have been Worthing's brightest criminal. Had he looked more carefully after he'd
    removed the saddle he could have stolen the whole bike. I'd inadvertantly put the lock just around
    the saddle pillar instead of through the frame.

    James (also not one of Worthing's brightest that day)

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. Richard M

    Richard M Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:51:43 +0000, Zardoz900 <[email protected]> wrote:

    Snip
    >Z.Newbury, hardly the scummiest part of the world ever.

    Hmm, there are worse places (Reading?) but there is also *lots* of nicer places.

    Richard

    Please remove THIS if replying

  10. Andy Key

    Andy Key Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, CLogicRogerC <[email protected]> writes
    ><<One of the people I lived with in my first year in university had their brakes nicked.
    >We'd bought him V-brakes for his birthday, something which approximately doubled the value
    >of the bike.>>
    >
    >Equally pathetic, on my trail bike I had a quick release saddle and used to remove it when locking
    >the bike on the street. Sure, I kept my saddle, but someone stole the quick release bolt!
    >
    >Now that is petty isn't it.
    >
    >Bristol. O well. I've had 2 bikes stolen (both "securely" locked) since I moved here in 1990 and a
    >trailer stolen and about 5 car break ins.

    In Bristol years ago someone took the nut that held one of my tourer's down tube gear levers on. I
    reckon it was someone who lost one and couldn't be bothered to buy a new one - I discovered why when
    I tried to get a replacement. In the end I had to buy an entire new unit second-hand.

    In Swindon once I had both toe straps and the two Allen bolts anchoring the rear carrier nicked -
    from the works bike racks, right under a security camera (which wasn't taping at the time, oddly). I
    can only guess it was some kind of obscure dare for the local kids.

    --

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<83je7v4d7djfklfjtqi6j202rmoakm[email protected]>...

    > The thief can't have been Worthing's brightest criminal. Had he looked more carefully after he'd
    > removed the saddle he could have stolen the whole bike. I'd inadvertantly put the lock just around
    > the saddle pillar instead of through the frame.

    ROFL. There goes another keyboard. I wish you wouldn't post stuff like that just as I'm taking a
    slurp of coffee.

    --
    Dave...

  12. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 19 Mar 2003 01:09:27 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >ROFL. There goes another keyboard. I wish you wouldn't post stuff like that just as I'm taking a
    >slurp of coffee.

    Dave

    You mean to say you're not ware of my patented "just about to slurp" hacking sorftware? In short, NG
    messages are designed to appear on your screen at the very moment when your mug contacts your lips.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  13. Thus spake [email protected] (Dave Kahn)

    > James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > The thief can't have been Worthing's brightest criminal. Had he looked more carefully after he'd
    > > removed the saddle he could have stolen the whole bike. I'd inadvertantly put the lock just
    > > around the saddle pillar instead of through the frame.

    > ROFL. There goes another keyboard. I wish you wouldn't post stuff like that just as I'm taking a
    > slurp of coffee.

    Or, as they'd say in uk.rec.sheds, a CLOFF moment...

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:09:39 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Or, as they'd say in uk.rec.sheds, a CLOFF moment...

    There's a uk.rec.sheds NG? My interest has been piqued (a former F1 driver, I believe).

    What's a CLOFF?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.