Someone recommend me a pack for commuting?

cucamelsmd15

Apr 6, 2005
I need a pack to throw clothes and whatnot in, and I prefer it be a backpack. Are there any good ones out there? Ive been having trouble finding one I liked that I think would fit the duties.

Hard to recommend since it is such a personal choice, like how it fits, how it feels, things you want it to have, things you don't care to have etc.

That being said, I personally just picked up a new backpack for commuting with, not that I commute very much at this point. It's one made by Willson, just a regular old back pack, lots of compartments, not to heavy and a webing with bunge cord lacing on the outside to hold more stuff that doesn't need to be kept dry. It was only $25.00 (CAN).

Better and lighter than the one I saw at the bike shop for +$80 (CAN), I didn't really need it to be mountable onto a panier rack.

I will post a pick of it after I get home.

My shamless plug for my blog. :D http://biketofitness.blogspot.com/

In keeping with the old bumper stickers on cars here's one I would like to see for back packs.
My other bike is a (TREK, Bianci, Specialized, etc.)!

I used to use a backpack until I discovered the messenger bag. The problem with the the backpack is that, well, it rests on your back. It doesn't allow ventilation on your back and your back gets hot. I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag. It rides lower and I don't have a problem with my back overheating. It also has a cross strap to keep the bag nice and tight so it doesn't move around when your riding. I don't have as much room for extra stuff as I did with my backpack, but the messenger bag is much lighter which I also appreciate.
Check them out.

TheCaffeinated1 said:
I used to use a backpack until I discovered the messenger bag. The problem with the the backpack is that, well, it rests on your back. It doesn't allow ventilation on your back and your back gets hot. I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag. It rides lower and I don't have a problem with my back overheating. It also has a cross strap to keep the bag nice and tight so it doesn't move around when your riding. I don't have as much room for extra stuff as I did with my backpack, but the messenger bag is much lighter which I also appreciate.
Check them out.
I will. Where did you find yours?

Welcome to the forums btw

I bought mine at a LBS in Chicago while on vacation. I noticed that just about all the riders wore a messenger bag. I figured they must know what their doing! You can find a messneger bag in just about any cycling catalog or online store.

Anyway here are some pics of the backpack. So far I like it, but since it's cold here (-5C) I don't think I am going to have to worry about my back getting to warm, just yet. I suspect summer time will definitly be different, but I will have to waint and see how much it bothers me.