Someone Tell Me to Continue Cycling!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Arfur, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Arfur

    Arfur Guest

    Ok, I have had a good run- bought my first bike in 1955, last did a major
    hill tour in 2001,(Cornish Coast) but now at 60, feeling distinctly old and
    painful.
    I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't really
    say I enjoyed it.Did the outward 25 in a couple of hours and then spent the
    whole afternoon struggling home and walking up a lot of hills.
    My 37 year old tandem club member son says that he rides out with
    people far older than me, (74+)
    To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must have
    reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!
    (Please)
    (Poor old sod!)

    ---

  2. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Arfur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must have
    > reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!

    I haven't reached that point (long way to go...), but I hereby order you to
    carry on!

    (Once while commuting home about 4 years ago a guy passed me, saying 'I'm
    getting too old for this' - he was 70, and doing a 25 mile TT faster than I
    was commuting half that distance).

    cheers,
    clive

  3. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I haven't reached that point (long way to go...), but I hereby order you
    > carry on!

    Seconded. You're only as old as you behave (that's my excuse, anyway) - stop
    and you'll regret it forever.

  4. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    I always remember a line in Lances book where he says when he gets on his bike it makes him feel like a kid again.

    I can honestly say that cycling is the only thing that makes me feel young again(I am 40)

    Keep going it will get better.:)

  5. PK

    PK Guest

    Simon D wrote:
    > "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I haven't reached that point (long way to go...), but I hereby
    >> order you to
    >> carry on!
    >>

    > Seconded. You're only as old as you behave (that's my excuse,
    > anyway) - stop and you'll regret it forever.

    Time for an old non pc joke.....

    A woman is as old as she feels.
    A man is as old as the woman he feels.....

    pk

  6. Kevin Stone

    Kevin Stone Guest

    "Arfur" wrote:

    > I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't
    > really say I enjoyed it.

    Just do less - whatever you feel comfortable with.

    --
    Kev

  7. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    "PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Simon D wrote:
    >> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> I haven't reached that point (long way to go...), but I hereby
    >>> order you to
    >>> carry on!
    >>>

    >> Seconded. You're only as old as you behave (that's my excuse,
    >> anyway) - stop and you'll regret it forever.

    > Time for an old non pc joke.....
    >
    > A woman is as old as she feels.
    > A man is as old as the woman he feels.....

    Oh, heck - yesterday I start the "half empty" business; today I get 'em
    going on this one...To all the women out there - THIS IS NOT MY FAULT!!!

  8. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Arfur" <[email protected]> writes:
    > To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must have
    > reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!

    Shame on you!

    You lucky sods of pensionable age can take far more time to enjoy
    yourselves than those of us who have the misfortune to be
    unambiguously of working age. So get out there!

    Some years back I was much stretched by a club run. One of the clubs
    members was a former Olympic cyclist. But it was 60 years since his
    Olympics, so I as a then-twenty-something at least stood a chance.

    --
    Nick Kew

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Arfur
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Ok, I have had a good run- bought my first bike in 1955, last did a
    > major hill tour in 2001,(Cornish Coast) but now at 60, feeling
    > distinctly old and painful.
    > I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't
    > really
    > say I enjoyed it.Did the outward 25 in a couple of hours and then
    > spent the whole afternoon struggling home and walking up a lot of
    > hills.
    > My 37 year old tandem club member son says that he rides out with
    > people far older than me, (74+)
    > To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must
    > have
    > reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!

    Well, I'm sure you know plenty of people in their eighties still
    cycling. I've cycled fair distances with people in their nineties, and
    I've just read about a woman who competes in triathlons at the age of
    85. There's nothing about age in itself which is going to stop you;
    indeed, cyclists seem to stay active into old age better than most
    people.

    If you continue cycling your heart and lungs will get exercise which
    will keep them going and your leg joints will get nice smooth exercise
    which will keep them going too.

    If you don't feel like doing fifty milers don't do fifty milers. But
    better still, set out with no particular target in mind but take a
    mobile phone and allow yourself to phone for taxi if you're not
    enjoying it.

    ;; when in the shit, the wise man plants courgettes

  10. > I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't really
    > say I enjoyed it.

    I'm 23 and I'm not sure I'd enjoy a fifty miler either! IIRC you lose
    fitness three times as fast as you put it on so I'm guessing the problem is
    that you're just a bit out of practice. Do a few more huge rides and
    you'll soon be able to whizz through them without breaking into a sweat.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Arfur wrote:

    > Ok, I have had a good run- bought my first bike in 1955, last did a major
    > hill tour in 2001,(Cornish Coast) but now at 60, feeling distinctly old and
    > painful.
    > I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't really
    > say I enjoyed it.Did the outward 25 in a couple of hours and then spent the
    > whole afternoon struggling home and walking up a lot of hills.
    > My 37 year old tandem club member son says that he rides out with
    > people far older than me, (74+)
    > To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must have
    > reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!
    > (Please)
    > (Poor old sod!)

    I'd suggest the middle ground. Cut back on the distance to what you
    feel comfortable with - 50 miles is obviously too much at the moment.
    Perhaps cycle less frequently. If you force yourself its likely that
    you will turn yourself against it but if you start doing some short but
    enjoyable rides you may just get your taste for cycling back and can
    then build up again from there.

    Good luck

    Tony

  12. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Arfur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ok, I have had a good run- bought my first bike in 1955, last did a major
    > hill tour in 2001,(Cornish Coast) but now at 60, feeling distinctly old
    > and
    > painful.
    > I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't really
    > say I enjoyed it.Did the outward 25 in a couple of hours and then spent
    > the
    > whole afternoon struggling home and walking up a lot of hills.
    > My 37 year old tandem club member son says that he rides out with
    > people far older than me, (74+)
    > To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must have
    > reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!
    > (Please)
    > (Poor old sod!)

    Give up and GET OUT OF MY WAY!

    Just kidding, but I did hear older people saying in a group cycle recently
    "they treat it like a race track" and "shouldn't they slow down". The answer
    is no. Should you give up cycling? The answer is no.

    At 32 I find it difficult finding people of my own age that enjoy what I do.
    I have more fun with people 10 years older who are really giving it their
    best. I could easily beat myself now than when I was 22.

    More importantly, I'm starting to join clubs and meeting like minded people.
    If I go on a run with regular cyclists who are, well, slow .. then I will
    help by taking the pressure of the traffic off. If I'm slow, I don't mind
    being dropped, but I want it done in a kind way. <grrr roadies>.

    Just remember, how much *something else* is calling out (i.e. pub, nothing,
    tv, computer) ... get out on your bike and go and enjoy yourself. And feel
    sorry for all of us who have to commute on our bikes every day ;-)

    Nick (who wants someone to kick him out of bed and onto his bike everyday).

  13. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I could easily beat myself now than when I was 22.

    I'm trying to say that I was a crap cyclist/sporty-type person when I was
    22. When I'm 42, I expect to be doing even more. Although, I do think I
    wasted 22yo. Shame .. that could be me at the olympics. However skiing was
    my game at 10-14yo .. now I'm rambling ...

    Nick *The Eagle*

  14. davek

    davek Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > At 32 I find it difficult finding people of my own age that enjoy what I do.
    > I have more fun with people 10 years older who are really giving it their
    > best. I could easily beat myself now than when I was 22.

    I'm in exactly the same position - at 31 I'm the youngest member of the
    club by some margin. The two strongest riders in the club are well into
    their 60s (one of them did the Surrey Hills with me last weekend and
    finished much stronger than I did). The point is that I enjoy riding
    with these people.

    > More importantly, I'm starting to join clubs and meeting like minded people.

    It's important to find the right club. We have a club rule that the pace
    is set by the slowest person - this doesn't mean we ride slowly, but we
    don't drop anyone (though occasionally we might split into a fast group
    and a slow group). But we ride on the fringes of club cycling - none of
    us is into racing. A serious road-racing club is not going to be ideal
    for the OP. I tried riding with a serious road-racing club once. They
    might have been friendly but I couldn't keep up with them long enough to
    find out.

    > Just remember, how much *something else* is calling out (i.e. pub, nothing,
    > tv, computer) ... get out on your bike and go and enjoy yourself.

    Amen to that. In fact, that's exactly what I am going to do right now...

    d.

  15. davek

    davek Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > I'm trying to say that I was a crap cyclist/sporty-type person when I was
    > 22. When I'm 42, I expect to be doing even more. Although, I do think I
    > wasted 22yo. Shame .. that could be me at the olympics.

    If it's any consolation, you're not the only one. When I was 15-16 I
    used to ride my bike all the time. And I was fast. If I'd had the
    presence of mind to join a club at that age, who knows what might have
    happened... :(

    d.

  16. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "PK" <[email protected]> writes:

    >A woman is as old as she feels.
    >A man is as old as the woman he feels.....

    I've always used that one the other way around. Ex was 7 years younger
    than me :)

    Roos

  17. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> writes:

    >"Arfur" wrote:

    >> I tried a fifty miler one afternoon a few months ago, but can't
    >> really say I enjoyed it.

    >Just do less - whatever you feel comfortable with.

    Or do less more often. Utility cycling is a good way to keep everything
    moving and to keep you in shape for longer tours. Or keep you in shape in
    general - too many older people stop moving alltogether because they can't
    do the activity they use to do anymore and they don't replace it with
    something else.

    Maybe get a more comfortable bike, shorter distances, more breaks, new
    friends?

    Roos

  18. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:06:46 +0100, "Arfur" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > To persevere or retire? that is the question.Someone else must have
    >reached this point and come through it! Someone order me to carry on!

    Consider yourself so ordered.

    On my first outing with the CTC, I was surprised at the age of a
    couple of the riders and thought to myself that I would have a decent
    chance of keeping up.

    Then I discovered that these two retired chaps cycle everywhere, all
    day, every day. They were very kind and waited for me. I hope to
    attain their levels of fitness when I too am in my 60s and 70s.
    --

    Cheers,

    Al

  19. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Arfur wrote:
    > Ok, I have had a good run- bought my first bike in 1955, last did a major
    > hill tour in 2001,(Cornish Coast) but now at 60, feeling distinctly old and
    > painful.

    What sort of pain is it? "I can't get up this hill" sort of pain, or "I
    can't sit on this saddle all day" sort of pain?

    For the latter, consider getting a more comfortable bike, by which I'm
    thinking recumbent. If it's hill problems, make that recumbent a trike
    with super-low grannies and slow it all down: you won't topple over with
    three wheels and you can put insanely low gearing on. If you're feeling
    it, just apply the parking brake and sit back in your comfy chair until
    you feel like carrying on. And they'll tear up the tarmac too if you
    want to do that: the Lands End -> John O'Groats record (41 hrs 4
    minutes) is held on a recumbent trike so don't think of them as invalid
    chairs!

    Everyone slows down eventually, but slowing down need only mean slowing
    down, rather than feeling inadequate at what you did a few years ago.
    So keep on cycling, but just respect the calls from your nervous system
    saying maybe not quite so quickly (or quite so far), and if things are
    uncomfortable in the saddle consider trading up to cycling in a comfy chair!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  20. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, davek ('[email protected]')
    wrote:

    > elyob wrote:
    >> I'm trying to say that I was a crap cyclist/sporty-type person when I
    >> was 22. When I'm 42, I expect to be doing even more. Although, I do
    >> think I wasted 22yo. Shame .. that could be me at the olympics.

    > If it's any consolation, you're not the only one. When I was 15-16 I
    > used to ride my bike all the time. And I was fast. If I'd had the
    > presence of mind to join a club at that age, who knows what might have
    > happened... :(

    I'm beginning to realise that in my twenties I was probably really quite
    a fit cyclist. I didn't realise it at the time, since I would never
    join any clubs and thought the roadies in their lycra and oakleys were
    poseurs. Now, of course, I wear lycra and oakleys - but I don't cycle
    anything like so far or anything like so fast, and I ride much better
    bikes than I did then.

    ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.