Something delicious

spednicquilting

Guest
When I was about 8 yrs. old, some 66 yrs. ago, my mother bought at a
dairy counter at the "Food Fair" in a suburb of Philadelphia, a wedge
of something that I have not been able to find since. Maybe someone
out there in Cyberland will know what it was.

It was on the counter like a wheel of cheese and sliced like a wedge of
pie. It was porous and tasted like the a malted milk ball, but not as
hard. Your finger would leave a small dent in the top of it if
pressed. When you chewed it, it became chewy, and really delicious.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WAS? I'd love to know, and to know where I
could find this today.
Thanks! Spednicquilting

"spednicquilting" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I was about 8 yrs. old, some 66 yrs. ago, my mother bought at a
> dairy counter at the "Food Fair" in a suburb of Philadelphia, a wedge
> of something that I have not been able to find since. Maybe someone
> out there in Cyberland will know what it was.
>
> It was on the counter like a wheel of cheese and sliced like a wedge of
> pie. It was porous and tasted like the a malted milk ball, but not as
> hard. Your finger would leave a small dent in the top of it if
> pressed. When you chewed it, it became chewy, and really delicious.
> DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WAS? I'd love to know, and to know where I
> could find this today.
> Thanks! Spednicquilting

Sounds like halvah. Great stuff!

On 2006-03-15, spednicquilting <[email protected]> wrote:

> It was on the counter like a wheel of cheese and sliced like a wedge of
> pie. It was porous and tasted like the a malted milk ball, but not as
> hard. Your finger would leave a small dent in the top of it if
> pressed. When you chewed it, it became chewy, and really delicious.

Cake?

nb

spednicquilting wrote:

> It was on the counter like a wheel of cheese and sliced like a wedge of
> pie. It was porous and tasted like the a malted milk ball, but not as
> hard.

I don't know what it was. I can suggest that you go to the macrobiotic
section of the health food store and buy something called "barley malt."
It will look like very dark honey and has roughly that consistency. I
love the flavor of malted milk balls, and this tastes just like it. I
use it to sweeten hot tea and bake with it in place of honey. (It isn't
as sweet as honey so recipes take a little adjusting.)

--Lia

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:25:01 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"spednicquilting" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> When I was about 8 yrs. old, some 66 yrs. ago, my mother bought at a
>> dairy counter at the "Food Fair" in a suburb of Philadelphia, a wedge
>> of something that I have not been able to find since. Maybe someone
>> out there in Cyberland will know what it was.
>>
>> It was on the counter like a wheel of cheese and sliced like a wedge of
>> pie. It was porous and tasted like the a malted milk ball, but not as
>> hard. Your finger would leave a small dent in the top of it if
>> pressed. When you chewed it, it became chewy, and really delicious.
>> DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WAS? I'd love to know, and to know where I
>> could find this today.
>> Thanks! Spednicquilting
>>

>Sounds like halvah. Great stuff!

I concur on both counts.

It is harder to find nowadays, but check middle eastern specialty
markets, or order online.

For the more pedestrian stuff:

http://www.halvah.biz/

For the fancier:

http://store.yahoo.com/nycityfood/w15.html

Boron

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> spednicquilting wrote:
>
> > It was on the counter like a wheel of cheese and sliced like a wedge of
> > pie. It was porous and tasted like the a malted milk ball, but not as
> > hard.

> I don't know what it was. I can suggest that you go to the macrobiotic
> section of the health food store and buy something called "barley malt."
> It will look like very dark honey and has roughly that consistency. I
> love the flavor of malted milk balls, and this tastes just like it. I
> use it to sweeten hot tea and bake with it in place of honey. (It isn't
> as sweet as honey so recipes take a little adjusting.)

Exactly. Just about every Mom and Pop in NYC used to sell barley malt
candy in many configurations. Halvah is a very different confection.

Sheldon