Something different – Impulsive Bike Buys and Having Too Many Bikes

wugga

Jul 19, 2005
How may people here have impulsively bought an extra bike impulsively or to score a killer deal!

This week I wandered into a shop and picked up a new Look 555 05” frame with the SL5 fork for 1,200.00. I already have two Looks' and two Treks'…….

I’m losing my mind!!!! Now its time to build it up with Campy Record.

Or .... it's time to join Bicyclists Anonymous .....:D

I've not had an impulsive bike buy, but I've had lots of impulsive buys in bike shops. I have a hard time just getting out of the store with what I went in for. Same thing with Borders books. I can't go in there to just browse.

-Matt

You should get a reverend license... call yourself the "Bike Reverend" and ordain other cyclists.

I'm on that ship totally. Not with entire bikes but with just everything else in the store basically. I love adding to my bike and just making it even more impressive than really needed.

wugga said:
How may people here have impulsively bought an extra bike impulsively or to score a killer deal! This week I wandered into a shop and picked up a new Look 555 05” frame with the SL5 fork for 1,200.00. I already have two Looks' and two Treks'……. I’m losing my mind!!!! Now its time to build it up with Campy Record. Or .... it's time to join Bicyclists Anonymous .....:D
I hope its not contagious.

Hey who am I to talk. I have a 80's steel frame racer just in case the good bike is in the shop, or has just been cleaned and its raining.

I can't resist a bike, but it has to be a bargain! Already got two road bikes (plus two for her indoors), my old eighties 531 race bike (in for frame restoration), two mountain bikes, loads of **** bikes for visitors/guests etc. Still bought a late eighties peugeot PY10 for 60 euros the other day - all Mavic equipped. And I went to the local car scrapyard this week for some parts for my car and came away with a Schwinn mtb in need of tlc for nothing!

It's a sickness. I just got a new carbon frame so I could save about 800g over my old Trek, but now I've just got to get that carbon seatpost, stem and handlebar. After that those heavy wheels have to be replaced with carbon. My 18 lb Dura-Ace Trek is now my beater bike.

Similar, but on a different note: The last bike I built started with me sitting around saying "hey, I've got a spare crankset laying around so why not build a bike". Wheels, deraillera, brifters, frame, handlebars, etc later I have a nice generic backup bike.

capwater said:
Similar, but on a different note: The last bike I built started with me sitting around saying "hey, I've got a spare crankset laying around so why not build a bike". Wheels, deraillera, brifters, frame, handlebars, etc later I have a nice generic backup bike.

Ya see, this is what the question I had about converting a triple crank to a double arose from--a triple crankset, 108mm ISIS BB and a 105 short cage RD laying around in search of a bike. And all you started with was a crankset!!!!

Yes, I've bought a few bikes because I couldn't pass up on "the deal". Am considering getting another one right now in fact. It's a Schwinn Le Tour III in excellent condition for $50. If he will take $35 it's mine. I have a large spare parts cache also where I've found deals on ebay or Nashbar's returns section. I have backups and backups for my backups (read OCD). :eek:

Have I spent too much? In total perhaps, but not really on any single item. And they were all a great bargain. I could probably ebay much of it off and get about what I spent, but I enjoy bikes and doing my own maintenance and upgrades so it's just part of the hobby for me.

If all you do is ride you're missing out on a lot of the fun!

Mine was not really an impulse buy, but rather a 50th birthday present from my wife - a beautiful Pinarello Paris Carbon FP...............mmmmmmmmmmmm........nice :cool: :cool: :cool:

I just recently went to my LBS, due to a "Spring Break sale" , and picked up a polished TST Ti. Frame(my size totally- 56cm) for $450 out the door !!!!! I could not pass that up, it seems you cannot find a decent/good Ti. frame anymore for less then $800 (Litespeed, Dougles,etc.). I also picked up some great deals, Cinelli white cork tape for $3 , etc. They also offered me some cheezy Giant carbon fork for $35 , but I passed on that deal(or junk ??) .

This frame I did not need , at this very moment..... but is a future project bike I will build up as inexpensively as possible with Campy 9-speed(mix of Record/Chorus/Athena).......... and I should be able to do it for $1000 - $1200 ish - should be done by the end of the year . I'm just not sure exactly what fork I will put on it(maybe a all Colnago Steel threaded fork , or possibly a ALL carbon fork- but this route will be more $) . Thats not bad at all for a Ti. frame with nice Campy components........ any bike shop would easily charge $2K + for :)

I think this qualifies. I've got a Specialized Sequoia Elite. Great bike, but as I rode more and more, lost some weight, got more flexible, it began to feel small for me (I'm 6'2", and the bike is the equivalent of a 57). I also like the look of traditional geometry.

So what do I spot on eBay but a size 60 Bianchi from the early 90's in what looks like great shape. I put a low max bid on it, and to my shock it won. Lots of buyer's remorse given my tight finances. But when it arrived it was love at first ride, and I've been riding it almost exclusively since.

Of course, having had a good experience with impulse buying, my defenses are down. . . .

wugga said:
How may people here have impulsively bought an extra bike impulsively or to score a killer deal!

This week I wandered into a shop and picked up a new Look 555 05” frame with the SL5 fork for 1,200.00. I already have two Looks' and two Treks'…….

I’m losing my mind!!!! Now its time to build it up with Campy Record.

Or .... it's time to join Bicyclists Anonymous .....:D

At least you have taken the first step in the right direction, you admit that you have a problem. :D