Something Is Going Wrong

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Over the past 2 weeks, I've been having difficulties. I've been experiencing extreme allergy symptoms, some feeling of fatigue or generally feeling unwell. Above all, I seem to have a chronic dry cough. It feels like a tickle around the chest and last night I couldn't sleep well due to the coughing. I strongly suspect the cough is triggered by allergy since I also have blocked nasal passages, especially at night. I even had this strange rash appear on my arm and shoulder that disappeared in a short time. All in all, I suffer badly from allergy to pollen.
On my last ride I felt dead on my feet. I don't know how I made the climbs as there was little left in the tank.
Could it be my body is rebelling against the training. I read a lot of books on endurance sports lately and have become aware hard-training sportsmen often pick up viruses or even suffer allergy. many cyclists come down with bronchitis when they experience temperature changes during rides.
Paula Radcliff suffers from asthma (something she also calls exercise induced asthma) and has had many viruses that hold back her training.
Should I try and cycle through these symptoms or maybe take a week or so off?

Carrera said:
Over the past 2 weeks, I've been having difficulties. I've been experiencing extreme allergy symptoms, some feeling of fatigue or generally feeling unwell. Above all, I seem to have a chronic dry cough. It feels like a tickle around the chest and last night I couldn't sleep well due to the coughing. I strongly suspect the cough is triggered by allergy since I also have blocked nasal passages, especially at night. I even had this strange rash appear on my arm and shoulder that disappeared in a short time. All in all, I suffer badly from allergy to pollen.
On my last ride I felt dead on my feet. I don't know how I made the climbs as there was little left in the tank.
Could it be my body is rebelling against the training. I read a lot of books on endurance sports lately and have become aware hard-training sportsmen often pick up viruses or even suffer allergy. many cyclists come down with bronchitis when they experience temperature changes during rides.
Paula Radcliff suffers from asthma (something she also calls exercise induced asthma) and has had many viruses that hold back her training.
Hi, You might try the following link to help you decide what the problem is.
http://cptips.com/respmus.htm
It talks about decreased lung capacity due to endurance exercise and Exercise induced asthma.
Best of luck
Ron

Carrera said:
I had the same problem with runny nose, watery eyes, chronic fatigue and a dry cough and wheezing. It hit me in early August. I ended up feeling so terrible I spent about 3 days in bed doing nothing and a total of a week puttering about with no training at all. Just wasn't up to it. Didn't have any body aches or fever though so it wasn't a typical flu. It seems to have cleared up so it may have been related to allergies or atmospheric pressure changes.

Carrera said:
Also, I became allergic to cats and dogs at age 32. Our allergic background constantly evolve. I may stop being allergic to cats at age 45 :rolleyes:
Each time I sleep to my brother's place (2 cats, 2 dogs), I get symptoms similar to the one you describe, PLUS, my cycling suffers a lot from it, at least for a week after being exposed to that Zoo :(

Carrera said:

Take a break! What good is a hard training without a hard rest? Hard rest, meaning, away from the bike!!! Your body doesnt recover enough so your immune system weakens, therefore the illness. Go figure!

Thanks, guys, for the imput. I just went out and did what I shouldn't have done - namely 30 miles hard cycling. I didn't do too badly and my fitness is hanging in there. However, I feel I've picked up some kind of bronchitis. After my ride, I put my hands on my knees and coughed and coughed so much the coughing turned into heaving and wretching. :( I was feeling glad :) I did such a good bike ride but very sorry for myself :( over the wretching.
One mistake I may be making is getting caught in a chill half way through the ride. I started out in a T-shirt when it was warm and light but later it became dark and I felt a biting chill. So, maybe I'm getting cold into my system as well as breathing in a lot of pollen.
If this is allergy related, it's unusal for me to suffer in this month. I was wondering whether maybe the training has been taking a reserve out of my recuperative abilities and, hence, my allergy symptoms may have increased in potency.
I can still ride and perform well on most days but my body is certainly on a low and very sensitive to allergy.

Carrera said:
Thanks, guys, for the imput. I just went out and did what I shouldn't have done - namely 30 miles hard cycling. I didn't do too badly and my fitness is hanging in there. However, I feel I've picked up some kind of bronchitis. After my ride, I put my hands on my knees and coughed and coughed so much the coughing turned into heaving and wretching. :( I was feeling glad :) I did such a good bike ride but very sorry for myself :( over the wretching.
One mistake I may be making is getting caught in a chill half way through the ride. I started out in a T-shirt when it was warm and light but later it became dark and I felt a biting chill. So, maybe I'm getting cold into my system as well as breathing in a lot of pollen.
If this is allergy related, it's unusal for me to suffer in this month. I was wondering whether maybe the training has been taking a reserve out of my recuperative abilities and, hence, my allergy symptoms may have increased in potency.
I can still ride and perform well on most days but my body is certainly on a low and very sensitive to allergy.
I suppose it could be something else, but just from what you've said it doesn't sound like you're recovering enough. If you're riding intensely every time all the time, you may do better to have some lower intesity rides mixed in there. At this point it sounds like to me you just need to take a break and let your body recover....or even a trip to the physician is in order.

You did not tell us your age and weight, this may have a bearing on things.. ;)

I'm 41 years old and at that age when you become obsessive over keeping Father Time at bay.
I feel my body is telling me to throw in a few more lower intensity rides to help me combat the allergy. That's what my body seems to be saying so I guess I'll have to go with the flow.
I get a bit discouraged over these allergy symptoms, though. I inherited the problem from my dad and I really have problems with hayfever. I was hoping I would grow out of allergy symptoms and even took to dosing myself with honey to help boost my immune system. But nothing seems to stop my hayfever, neither medicines nor herbs.

gclark8 said:
You did not tell us your age and weight, this may have a bearing on things.. ;)

Carrera said:
I'm 41 years old and at that age when you become obsessive over keeping Father Time at bay.
I feel my body is telling me to throw in a few more lower intensity rides to help me combat the allergy. That's what my body seems to be saying so I guess I'll have to go with the flow.
I get a bit discouraged over these allergy symptoms, though. I inherited the problem from my dad and I really have problems with hayfever. I was hoping I would grow out of allergy symptoms and even took to dosing myself with honey to help boost my immune system. But nothing seems to stop my hayfever, neither medicines nor herbs.
I seem to suffer from the same problems. Fall ragweed season is here now, and my allergy and sinusitus has flared up. What I get is a low-grade, systemic infection, which leaves me without energy. It seems to settle into the lower back and glutes; big muscle groups, making me feel stiff and achy. Taking anti-histamines and decongestants will ease the symptoms in the head, but doesn't really do anything for muscle aches or to restore energy.

Intense training or big rides seem to aggrevate the condition for me. I used to just try and ignore the symptoms, and "ride through it". But, the result was that I'd never really recover, and would have frequent reoccurances, maybe every 2-3 weeks.

Now I just take it easy until I'm feeling good again. I avoid any big club rides, and just go on recovery-pace rides, or take time off the bike.

Believe good immune-system health is critical for anyone trying to maintain an athletic training program. It's frustrating to be slowed by these chronic problems.

I'm going to research the problem and see if I can find a way to improve my situation. My immune system is way out of synch and there must be a reason. The problem is anti-histamine medication is practically useless so I may see what Chinese medicine or acupuncture has to offer.

dhk said:
I seem to suffer from the same problems. Fall ragweed season is here now, and my allergy and sinusitus has flared up. What I get is a low-grade, systemic infection, which leaves me without energy. It seems to settle into the lower back and glutes; big muscle groups, making me feel stiff and achy. Taking anti-histamines and decongestants will ease the symptoms in the head, but doesn't really do anything for muscle aches or to restore energy.

Intense training or big rides seem to aggrevate the condition for me. I used to just try and ignore the symptoms, and "ride through it". But, the result was that I'd never really recover, and would have frequent reoccurances, maybe every 2-3 weeks.

Now I just take it easy until I'm feeling good again. I avoid any big club rides, and just go on recovery-pace rides, or take time off the bike.

Believe good immune-system health is critical for anyone trying to maintain an athletic training program. It's frustrating to be slowed by these chronic problems.

I am 55, had problems with fatigue since Jan last year. I am now on a carefully monitored exercise program, max HR of 130, special diet, however must exercise light-moderate every day. Listen to your body, get medical advice from a Sports Medicine expert, wear a HR monitor.

I'd recommend ride like you feel . Feel strong = go long + strong. Feel run down = then take a day off.... recouperate, eat good, sleep good ....... tomorrow is a new day. Its not worth killing yourself over. Now, when your on the bike..... thats the time to suffer , not when your on+off the bike :eek:

Carrera said:
I'm going to research the problem and see if I can find a way to improve my situation. My immune system is way out of synch and there must be a reason. The problem is anti-histamine medication is practically useless so I may see what Chinese medicine or acupuncture has to offer.
Hard training is worse than useless without recovery time. You need to take a break from hard riding until you are feeling healthy again. You will not lose fitness during this time, you body will take the opportunity to repair and build up.
You also need to get enough sleep, so stay off internet forum sites at bed time.

gclark8 said:
I am 55, had problems with fatigue since Jan last year. I am now on a carefully monitored exercise program, max HR of 130, special diet, however must exercise light-moderate every day. Listen to your body, get medical advice from a Sports Medicine expert, wear a HR monitor.
George: So how are you feeling now? Is the prescribed treatment working for you?

Would like more details of your special diet as well. Is caffiene allowed?

Carrera said:
Agree with Don here. You/we need to take care of overall health first, before worrying about training. I've read several places that hard training can weaken and suppress the immune system. Hard riding does seem to often trigger a flare up of my chronic sinusitis.

I rode yesterday with a buddy while sick with the sinus "crud", and felt achy, with no real energy or enthusiasm. Today I'm resting, even skipping the usual lawn work.

Believe I often go back to riding too quickly, as in the first day I'm starting to feel better, but before the infection has really run it's course. When I start back, I know I should be doing only easy recovery rides (ie, 60-65% Max HR) until I'm feeling 100%.

What you are describing sounds like all the classic signs of overtraining. It is possible to actually harm your body by training too hard too often. Your performance will decline, and you become more susceptible to allergies and to attacks on your immune system. One of the suggestions I have read recently is to record your heart rate when you wake up every morning. Once you establish a baseline during normal intensity training and rest, if you wake up with your heart rate elevated by 3-5 beats per minute above your normal range, take it easy that day and do a more relaxed recovery ride and continue to do so until you wake up with a normal range pulse. If the heart rate is 5-10 bpm or more elevated, take the day off from training at all, eat well, sleep well, and then go easy for the next few days until your heart rate is back to normal.

The upshot of all of that is that overtraining is not "good hard work" that is painful now but will bear rewards later. It is detrimental to your overall health and will set you back in whatever you are training for. If your body is telling you that it is fatigued or you are feeling like you may be getting sick, listen to it!

Sure, Paula Radcliffe always tests her pulse in the morning and maybe that's because she got so many viruses. To be honest, I was amazed by how many injuries and viruses Paula has suffered over the years and the latter part of her book seemed overly devoted to her injuries and problems.
I take your point, though. I do cycle very hard although I don't do as many miles as most of you. And I do take days off.
The majority of my training rides are still O.K. but these allergy symptoms are certainly getting to be problematic. I seem to have picked up some sort of a virus. Only this morning, coming back from work, I suddenly felt hot and sweaty - like you get with a temperature. Now I feel O.K. again but I'm not cycling today anyway.
I inherited bad allergy symptoms from my dad and have suffered for many years, although chronic coughing in August is unusual for me. I also have a weaker chest due to pneumonia I caught back in 1993 the after effects of which seem to dog me.
I'm going to try and take a few more rest days and increase my intake of honey and other immune system builders.

txags92 said:
What you are describing sounds like all the classic signs of overtraining. It is possible to actually harm your body by training too hard too often. Your performance will decline, and you become more susceptible to allergies and to attacks on your immune system. One of the suggestions I have read recently is to record your heart rate when you wake up every morning. Once you establish a baseline during normal intensity training and rest, if you wake up with your heart rate elevated by 3-5 beats per minute above your normal range, take it easy that day and do a more relaxed recovery ride and continue to do so until you wake up with a normal range pulse. If the heart rate is 5-10 bpm or more elevated, take the day off from training at all, eat well, sleep well, and then go easy for the next few days until your heart rate is back to normal.

The upshot of all of that is that overtraining is not "good hard work" that is painful now but will bear rewards later. It is detrimental to your overall health and will set you back in whatever you are training for. If your body is telling you that it is fatigued or you are feeling like you may be getting sick, listen to it!

I should add Paula Radcliffe suffers exercise induced asthma. She has had asthma attacks, uses an inhaler and, on several occasions, she collapsed through exhaustion or had to take time out.
I think a lot of sports people have these troubles and I agree with you folks my body seems to be telling me it's on a slight low. I just have to try and hold myself back from going too hard too often.
Maybe I'll do a short spell of distance cycling but at far lower intensity.

Carrera said:
I should add Paula Radcliffe suffers exercise induced asthma. She has had asthma attacks, uses an inhaler and, on several occasions, she collapsed through exhaustion or had to take time out.
I think a lot of sports people have these troubles and I agree with you folks my body seems to be telling me it's on a slight low. I just have to try and hold myself back from going too hard too often.
Maybe I'll do a short spell of distance cycling but at far lower intensity.
Do you cycle to work? If so let that be all the training you do for a week or two.
Get eight hours sleep a night. (Stay off the computer.)
Give your body a chance to recover! You will come back healthier, stronger and fitter for having had a break.