Something to bash around on.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Brendo, Nov 25, 2006.

  1. Brendo

    Brendo Guest

    I'm thinking of getting something to ride to the shops on, or
    ride around the river family style. My query is whether to go for
    a mountain bike type of cycle or get a flat bar roady with
    bigger/wider tyres. What would be the pro's and con's for each? I
    own a roady, but I want something I can ride with my wife and son.

    Brendo

    Tags:

  2. Boostland

    Boostland Guest

    "Brendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm thinking of getting something to ride to the shops on, or ride around
    > the river family style. My query is whether to go for a mountain bike type
    > of cycle or get a flat bar roady with bigger/wider tyres. What would be
    > the pro's and con's for each? I own a roady, but I want something I can
    > ride with my wife and son.
    >
    > Brendo

    Sounds like you need a tandem with a trailer bike on the back.

  3. Big Bear

    Big Bear Guest

    Brendo wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting something to ride to the shops on, or ride
    > around the river family style. My query is whether to go for a mountain
    > bike type of cycle or get a flat bar roady with bigger/wider tyres. What
    > would be the pro's and con's for each? I own a roady, but I want
    > something I can ride with my wife and son.

    Both. Seriously, if you are happy on a roady, just get a flat bar roady,
    or rather something similar that will take rack and panniers or trailer.

    I ride a mtb style because I do some cross country stuff and some of the
    gutters are murder on stuff if you forget to creep over them, plus there
    are some mud/dirt shortcuts that require some rubber in the wet.

  4. On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:04:41 +0800, Brendo <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm thinking of getting something to ride to the shops on, or
    >ride around the river family style. My query is whether to go for
    >a mountain bike type of cycle or get a flat bar roady with
    >bigger/wider tyres. What would be the pro's and con's for each? I
    >own a roady, but I want something I can ride with my wife and son.

    I use a Trike to ride to the shops. It has a basket on the back which
    holds our weeks shopping. Is your son old enough to ride his own bike
    with parental guidance?
    --

    Stuart

  5. Brendo

    Brendo Guest

    Stuart Naylor wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:04:41 +0800, Brendo <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'm thinking of getting something to ride to the shops on, or
    >>ride around the river family style. My query is whether to go for
    >>a mountain bike type of cycle or get a flat bar roady with
    >>bigger/wider tyres. What would be the pro's and con's for each? I
    >>own a roady, but I want something I can ride with my wife and son.

    > I use a Trike to ride to the shops. It has a basket on the back which
    > holds our weeks shopping. Is your son old enough to ride his own bike
    > with parental guidance?

    He' six, he can ride his own bike, still needs a bit of attention
    re riding safely, but generally he's okay.

  6. Tripped

    Tripped New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2006
    If you want to save money, A cheap BMX or K-Mart bike just to be 'hip' he's only 6 it's not like he's going to beat you on his bike. You can used the money you've saved on your Roadie![​IMG]