something to do with gears

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by johnboi, Sep 1, 2010.

1. johnboi

johnboi New Member

Hi, just joined up. Im 24 from uk. Used to cycle a lot but never even sorted out a flat tyre before. Decided to do some off road cycleing again so i want to do up my old bike. The idea of this is that by replaceing the worn out parts myself I will learn how things work and go together so I can maintain it myself. Plus its an old bike so if it goes wrong its not a big thing. Already started on the wheels, got new tyres and new inner tubes, rims seem fine.

Question is the gears need replacing, the whole lot, chain as well. Its all worn out and the chain is stretched. It never worked very well. Got an 18 speed bike. Im finding it difficult finding parts, but also, can I say make it 21 speed? Would it matter, or would I need something doing to fit in the extra gear thingys at the back?

I have gotten a little bike maintenance book, which has been great for the wheels... but only has gear maintenance, not replacement, so it has no advice on what to look for.

Quite confused with all the different parts and different sizes.

.. help, please!

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Yes, you can make it a 21-speed, but that can be quite a can of worms. Check the following:
    -Shifter, indexed(does it have a click for each position) or friction?
    -Dropout with(in mm). Pull rear wheel out, measure the distance between the plates where it sat
    - Freewheel or freehub. Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information will tell you how to spot the difference.
    -type of axle, q/r or nutted. Amount of threads remaining.

Odds are that you'd be better off (financially after) tracking down parts for your bike as it is, rather than upgrading it. (They're still available at no great hassle)
    Upgrading would pretty much only make sense if you have an emotional attachment to this bike. If you just want a better ride, buy a new bike instead.

3. wooliferkins

wooliferkins New Member

+1 to above. Odds are with 6 at the back it is a freewheel hub. 6 speed cassettes were available but they were at the very top end of the food chain at the time, which doesn't seem to fit your description. 6 and 7 speed freewheels are still available but you are limited on ratio choices. Are the chainrings on your chainset replaceable? It is not a bank breaker if they aren't and plenty of budget chainsets are available.
    As dabac said at some point the outlay exceeds the value but a cheap refurb will keep you riding while you save for a new machine