Something to try? - Flavor Sprinkles

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Feb 14, 2006.

  1. I remember seeing a program about this on 20/20:

    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MedicalMinute/story?id=451163&page=1

    They don't have these sprinkles on the market yet, but maybe it's
    something we could formulate on our own, or just make a point of making
    our food more flavorful and more importantly more FRAGRANT (or
    smelly!). It seems that it's all about stimulating smell as much as
    taste, and smells don't have calories (or grams of carbs). They even
    list the smells/flavors they used:

    "The 12 different crystals or powders are divided into two groups:
    sweet crystals to put on sweet or neutral foods, and salty crystals to
    put on everything else. The sweet food crystals come in the flavors of
    cocoa, spearmint, banana, strawberry, raspberry and malt. The salty
    crystals come in the flavors of taco, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese,
    ranch dressing flavor, horseradish and onion."

    Tags:

  2. The article doesn't say anything about what these things are made of.
    I'm curious about them, but would be mroe interested in seeing safety
    studies than weight-loss studies, which seems premature.

    I expect these things will end up in *everything* you buy sooner or
    later.

  3. Yeah, I wouldn't want to use anything with flavor enhancers like MSG or
    artificial flavors, and I wouldn't want to eat too much salt either.
    But making the effort to make what we eat more fragrant and flavorful
    to hit that "I'm full" switch quicker seems worth a try.

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > Yeah, I wouldn't want to use anything with flavor enhancers like MSG or
    > artificial flavors, and I wouldn't want to eat too much salt either.
    > But making the effort to make what we eat more fragrant and flavorful
    > to hit that "I'm full" switch quicker seems worth a try.

    Sure.

    The non-chemical way to do this is to cook with lots of peppers,
    garlic, onions, ginger, parsley, oregano, chives, basil, cinnamon,
    cloves, etc.

    I mean, I'm never hungry after even a few TB of guacamole or other
    really *flavorful* foods.

    The *really* intense way to get kewl flavors is to garden... and grow
    oldtime varieties that were bred for flavor rather than for the ability
    to keep while transporting across the country.