something we need from california

Andy Gee

Guest
One thing I like about biking in California is that they have an "open
trench signage rule." This is something we need in New York. Sure,
everyone knows that orange cones and yellow tape mean "don't go there."
But when you're faced with a choice between avoiding someone cutting you
off and violating the sanctity of the orange cones, it would be nice to
have that extra piece of information that you might be heading for a big
hole in the street.

--ag

Andy Gee wrote:
> One thing I like about biking in California is that they have an "open
> trench signage rule." This is something we need in New York. Sure,
> everyone knows that orange cones and yellow tape mean "don't go there."
> But when you're faced with a choice between avoiding someone cutting you
> off and violating the sanctity of the orange cones, it would be nice to
> have that extra piece of information that you might be heading for a big
> hole in the street.
>
> --ag

I don't live in New York but as long as *someone else's* tax money is
paying for redundant and unnecessary warning signs how about posting
signs every few miles on all public roadways that read,

"Caution- area ahead may be littered with broken glass"?

<sarcasm mode off>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

In article <[email protected]>,
Andy Gee <[email protected]> wrote:

> One thing I like about biking in California is that they have an "open
> trench signage rule."

*******
If there were always a sign you wouldn't need the orange cones & tape I
guess.
Around here though there is sometimes a sign but no other warning. The
sign might be small & fairly unnoticeable too.

As a Californian I'm used to the signs. I think they contain "useful
information" and I'm mildly surprised that other people don't have
them.

I <funny cajun voice> guarantee </funny cajun voice> that the cost of
the sign pales in comparison to the cost of actually opening a trench
in a California highway.

Go ahead folks, quibble about pocket change while the diamond-teethed
saw cuts away.