Sometimes I hate riding...

SomeGuy

May 18, 2004
Riding home from work today I was reminded of one of the negatives of cycling.

Coming out of the carpark, doing just over 40ks (and pedalling hard), jump the gutter down on to the street... and the darn gears jam! As I'm sure alot of you know, when the gears jam your feet fly off the pedals (on a sidenote, what happens in this situation if you have clip in pedals?). So now I've got my feet on the ground, the handlebars in the armpits, and I'm trying to run at the 40ks the bike is doing... not easy :p. I think the rear wheel must have caught on my shoes, as the next thing I know me and the bike are summersaulting through the air, then I'm lying on the road with the bike on top of me (one wheel spinning crazily of course ;)).

End result one sore wrist, one grazed leg, and one very sore ego :p. The bike also collected a couple of scratches.

With things like this, and the midwinter rain, I'm almost tempted to buy a car!

I have never experienced a "jam"...however sometimes when i am far away from home i wish that i had not gone out on my bike. After a few more miles the feeling goes away. Maybe this is close to the same feeling. Or once i missed my clipless and thought that i was in and took all of my weight to my nuts on the seat...that sucked.