Sometimes you eat the bear and...

Chance3290

Oct 1, 2004
...sometimes the bear eats you.
Subtitle: Why MTB shoes are better than road shoes.
Whilst riding yesterday I heard a car approaching, then kids shouting, then felt something whiz past my head. Teens in a car threw something at me, AND insulted my spandex. I tried to catch the car but it took off. Then I saw the car turn left. I knew that road ended at a T intersection. I had a 50% chance. There was a soggy field and yards to my left. I let my emotions get the better of me. I laid my bike down, picked up an apple core and a rock (I was pretty sure it was one of these they had thrown) and started running. I wouldn't have made it thru the field on my bike or trying to run fast in road shoes.
Sure enough, at the other side of the field, there was the car slowing for a stop sign.
First I threw the apple core, it went right into the driver's window. Then I threw the rock at the rear of the car (didn't want to hit anyone). All the while I was yelling, you know, encouraging things these young people (Don't do drugs. Stay in school. Why do you think they call it dope...etc.).
Apparently a grey-haired, 40-something in full Irish National kit, charging your car is enough to freak some kids out. They took off in a puff of smoke and I'm thinking the driver might need new seat covers.
Now I don't recommend this type of action, but I've been yelled at, been cut off, and had things thrown at me.
Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.
I'm here to tell you that bear meat taste good.:D

Chance3290 said:
...sometimes the bear eats you.
Subtitle: Why MTB shoes are better than road shoes.
Whilst riding yesterday I heard a car approaching, then kids shouting, then felt something whiz past my head. Teens in a car threw something at me, AND insulted my spandex. I tried to catch the car but it took off. Then I saw the car turn left. I knew that road ended at a T intersection. I had a 50% chance. There was a soggy field and yards to my left. I let my emotions get the better of me. I laid my bike down, picked up an apple core and a rock (I was pretty sure it was one of these they had thrown) and started running. I wouldn't have made it thru the field on my bike or trying to run fast in road shoes.
Sure enough, at the other side of the field, there was the car slowing for a stop sign.
First I threw the apple core, it went right into the driver's window. Then I threw the rock at the rear of the car (didn't want to hit anyone). All the while I was yelling, you know, encouraging things these young people (Don't do drugs. Stay in school. Why do you think they call it dope...etc.).
Apparently a grey-haired, 40-something in full Irish National kit, charging your car is enough to freak some kids out. They took off in a puff of smoke and I'm thinking the driver might need new seat covers.
Now I don't recommend this type of action, but I've been yelled at, been cut off, and had things thrown at me.
Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.
I'm here to tell you that bear meat taste good.:D
After they left you I'm sure these kids vowed to never ever harrass a cyclist again. More than likely they're going to worse than throw something and hurl insults regarding cycling garb. Let me know where you ride and the make/model of the vehicle so I can keep a lookout for them.

JS

That's one of the reasons I don't wear spandex:D .
That...and my fat a$$....Hey that makes it two reasons;)

I think you did everything right. I get sick of idiot motorists who are under 19 and think they're superman.

Score one for us.

jrstevens said:
After they left you I'm sure these kids vowed to never ever harrass a cyclist again. More than likely they're going to worse than throw something and hurl insults regarding cycling garb. Let me know where you ride and the make/model of the vehicle so I can keep a lookout for them.
JS
Could be, or they had done this before without consequence and figured cyclists are helpless targets.

or, they had done it before, the victim called police and now they're mad and want payback.

or, I scared the **** out of them and they'll think twice before doing it again.

or...

As I said, my emotions got the better of me and I don't recommend this action. All I'm saying is its happened to me before and it felt good be on the other end.
I'll teach those punks-DON'T make fun of my spandex:mad: .

The bicycle gods have smiled upon you...

That is truly awesome. Harrassers deserve everything they get and a lot more.