SON hub & disc brake question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mads Hilberg, May 19, 2003.

  1. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    On http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp it says not to use the SON for disc brakes
    with a fork that doesn't have 'lawyer lips'. Do the Meks Carbon AII and AC supplied by HPVelotechnik
    have these lawyer lips? (There is also a big discussion about disc brake and quick release dangers
    on uk.rec.cycling)

    Also it states on the page that the SON with disc brakes isn't suitable for loaded touring (or
    tandems) as the disc may get hot on descents and this heat may damage the magnets in the hub. Has
    anyone heard of this actually happening? Surely one can avoid this by using the rear disc brake to
    control speed on descents and only use the front brake for actually bringing oneself to a
    standstill?

    Mads

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 21:30:19 +0200, "Mads Hilberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp it says not to use the SON for disc brakes
    >with a fork that doesn't have 'lawyer lips'.

    News to me - I have the SON on my Optima Stinger which has no lawyer lips. The smart move is to use
    an allen-key skewer with the SON anyway, so the chances of accidentally loosening the QR are less
    than with a conventional one.

    >Also it states on the page that the SON with disc brakes isn't suitable for loaded touring (or
    >tandems) as the disc may get hot on descents and this heat may damage the magnets in the hub. Has
    >anyone heard of this actually happening? Surely one can avoid this by using the rear disc brake to
    >control speed on descents and only use the front brake for actually bringing oneself to a
    >standstill?

    I wouldn't like to try that; I rarely use the rear brake at all since my rear wheel has suspension
    so tends to slide out if the rear brake is applied more than the front. No opinion re touring,
    though. I've not noticed my discs getting excessively hot on hard braking, they're certainly not
    getting the blue tinge you'd expect if they were really being cooked, but I know knot.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.