SON hub dynamo

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Fergus Flanagan, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Just got my brand new 20in wheel with built in SON hub dynamo for my StreetMachine hmmmm! I have
    noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and assume this
    is the magnets, i didn't expect this, is this normal? Does it disappear with speed as it feels there
    is alot of resistance when i spin it slowly. I was expecting it to spin quite freely at any speed
    but until i mount it on the bike, I guess i won't really know if the notchiness or resistance
    disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

    Fergus

    --
    ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
    windows. :::::

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Just got my brand new 20in wheel with built in SON hub dynamo for my StreetMachine hmmmm! I have
    > noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and assume
    > this is the magnets, i didn't expect this, is this normal?

    Yes it is normal.

    > Does it disappear with speed as it feels there is alot of resistance when i spin it slowly. I was
    > expecting it to spin quite freely at any speed but until i mount it on the bike, I guess i won't
    > really know if the notchiness or resistance disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

    I can not tell the difference between my SON hub and a regular hub once it is on the bike
    and moving.

    Note: The drag is barely detectable. Put it on the bike and forget about it.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:00:43 +0100, "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and
    >assume this is the magnets

    It shouldn't be *very* notchy - mine runs fairly freely as long as the light is off.

    Guy
    ===

  4. I think maybe as i am only spinning it in my hands slowly the notchiness is more apparent and as
    Cletus pointed once it is on the bike all will be sorted. Thanks guys