SON hub dynamo

Fergus Flanagan

Guest
Just got my brand new 20in wheel with built in SON hub dynamo for my StreetMachine hmmmm! I have
noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and assume this
is the magnets, i didn't expect this, is this normal? Does it disappear with speed as it feels there
is alot of resistance when i spin it slowly. I was expecting it to spin quite freely at any speed
but until i mount it on the bike, I guess i won't really know if the notchiness or resistance
disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

Fergus

--
::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
windows. :::::

> Just got my brand new 20in wheel with built in SON hub dynamo for my StreetMachine hmmmm! I have
> noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and assume
> this is the magnets, i didn't expect this, is this normal?

Yes it is normal.

> Does it disappear with speed as it feels there is alot of resistance when i spin it slowly. I was
> expecting it to spin quite freely at any speed but until i mount it on the bike, I guess i won't
> really know if the notchiness or resistance disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

I can not tell the difference between my SON hub and a regular hub once it is on the bike
and moving.

Note: The drag is barely detectable. Put it on the bike and forget about it.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:00:43 +0100, "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and
>assume this is the magnets

It shouldn't be *very* notchy - mine runs fairly freely as long as the light is off.

Guy
===

I think maybe as i am only spinning it in my hands slowly the notchiness is more apparent and as
Cletus pointed once it is on the bike all will be sorted. Thanks guys