SON hub dynamo

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fergus Flanagan

Just got my brand new 20in wheel with built in SON hub dynamo for my StreetMachine hmmmm! I have
noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and assume this
is the magnets, i didn't expect this, is this normal? Does it disappear with speed as it feels there
is alot of resistance when i spin it slowly. I was expecting it to spin quite freely at any speed
but until i mount it on the bike, I guess i won't really know if the notchiness or resistance
disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

Fergus

--
::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
windows. :::::

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Just got my brand new 20in wheel with built in SON hub dynamo for my StreetMachine hmmmm! I have
> noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and assume
> this is the magnets, i didn't expect this, is this normal?

Yes it is normal.

> Does it disappear with speed as it feels there is alot of resistance when i spin it slowly. I was
> expecting it to spin quite freely at any speed but until i mount it on the bike, I guess i won't
> really know if the notchiness or resistance disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?

I can not tell the difference between my SON hub and a regular hub once it is on the bike
and moving.

Note: The drag is barely detectable. Put it on the bike and forget about it.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:00:43 +0100, "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and
>assume this is the magnets

It shouldn't be *very* notchy - mine runs fairly freely as long as the light is off.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

I think maybe as i am only spinning it in my hands slowly the notchiness is more apparent and as
Cletus pointed once it is on the bike all will be sorted. Thanks guys

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:00:43 +0100, "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have noticed as I try to spin the wheel holding it in my hands it feels very very notchy and
> >assume this is the magnets
>
> It shouldn't be *very* notchy - mine runs fairly freely as long as the light is off.
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
> notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of
> downtime between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
> equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.