SON

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Just Zis Guy, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Just fitted a SON[1] to my Optima Stinger. Life is Goooood! I have a Shimano Nexus on the wedgie,
    but the SON is quite a bit better. It almost makes up for the drag from the Magura Julies :) (note
    to self: upgrade to Hope).

    I'm using the Busch & Muller Lumotec Oval until the SON E6 headlight arrives. The SON has much
    better optics.

    [1] Schmidt's Original Nabendynamo, a hub dynamo[2].
    [2] Alternator[3]
    [3] Generator, to the USians, but that's not what it is :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. "Just zis Guy, you know?" skrev...
    > Just fitted a SON[1] to my Optima Stinger. Life is Goooood! I have a Shimano Nexus on the wedgie,
    > but the SON is quite a bit better. It almost makes up for the drag from the Magura Julies :)
    > (note to self: upgrade to Hope).

    Whats the output on this beast?

    The Dymotec S12 12V/6W bottle dynamo sounded good to me till I saw the price. 260 quid with
    lights. *ick*

    Mikael

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:19:04 +0100, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Just fitted a SON
    >Whats the output on this beast?

    Ah, well, it depends who you ask. It will run the usual 6V 3W, but it's current limited so when you
    get above a certain speed (don't ask me, I've only just fitted it!) you can bring in a second 3W
    lamp in *series* for the full 12V SON Experience.

    The most amazing thing is, though, that you barely know it's there! I mean, really, it's as if
    there's nothing other than a normal hub. I couldn't believe that it would be this much better than
    the Nexus, but it really is!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 21:57:14 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm using the Busch & Muller Lumotec Oval until the SON E6 headlight arrives. The SON has much
    >better optics.

    Is this the new light with the Bisy optics? Where can I get one? I have the Bisy light but it's not
    very rugged - one broke apart from road vibration alone.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 03:28:40 +0900, Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I'm using the Busch & Muller Lumotec Oval until the SON E6 headlight arrives. The SON has much
    >>better optics.

    >Is this the new light with the Bisy optics? Where can I get one?

    They are as rare as hens' teeth, yes. The most dependable source I know of is www.tubus.nl (now
    called m-gineering).

    Guy
    ===