songs about cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kristin Garau

Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling song
that stands out to them whenever they think about getting on the bike, be it "Bicycle Race" by Queen
or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits. I just got wondering what was the one that
stuck in some of your minds. For me, it's "Cycling is Fun" by Shonen Knife (I'm listening to it as I
type this!).

Best to you, Kristin

--
Kristin Garau
-----------------------------------------------
www.mindspring.com/~garau

"Kristin Garau" wrote:
> There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling song that
> stands out to them.

"So, if you're out tonight, don't forget, if you're on your bike, wear white....evening all."

Art Harris

"The Acoustic Motorbike" by Luka Bloom. from the album of the same name.

Tim McTeague

"Kristin Garau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling
> song that stands out to them whenever they think about getting on the bike, be it "Bicycle Race"
> by Queen or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits. I just got wondering what was the
> one that stuck in some of your minds. For me, it's "Cycling is Fun" by Shonen Knife (I'm listening
> to it as I type this!).
>
> Best to you, Kristin
>
> --
> Kristin Garau
> -----------------------------------------------
> www.mindspring.com/~garau

"Kristin Garau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling
> song that stands out to them whenever they think about getting on the bike, be it "Bicycle Race"
> by Queen or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits. I just got wondering what was the
> one that stuck in some of your minds. For me, it's "Cycling is Fun" by Shonen Knife (I'm listening
> to it as I type this!).
>

For me its "Roll on RAGBRAI" by Patrick Hazel, it's on his live CD.

Best, Mish

"Kristin Garau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> by Queen or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits.

Funny, I never think of bicycle songs when I'm bicycling. Railroad songs, sure. "Wreck of the 97,"
(to which I changed the lyrics one day while failing to outrun a thunderstorm). Or "Driver 8" by
REM. Ok, maybe too many rail-trail miles.....

Kristin Garau wrote:
>
> song that stands out to them whenever

A song not about cycling, but with a connection, is "Song for Athene", written by composer
John Tavener in memory of a friend who was killed while riding her bike. Very haunting and
pretty. It was sung by the choir at Princess Diana's funeral while the family and casket
left the church.

<http://www.schirmer.com/news/oct97/tavener.html>

--
Gordon Renkes [email protected] THE Ohio State University

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> "Kristin Garau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling
> > song that stands out to them whenever they think about getting on the bike, be it "Bicycle Race"
> > by Queen or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits.
>
> Funny, I never think of bicycle songs when I'm bicycling. Railroad songs, sure. "Wreck of the 97,"
> (to which I changed the lyrics one day while failing to outrun a thunderstorm). Or "Driver 8" by
> REM. Ok, maybe too many rail-trail miles.....

A good one to ride peacefully home on: "All along the river, the rumble and the call Of the lonesome
whistle on the Wabash Cannonball" etc... it flows beautifully. Bernie

=v= Chicago's Critical Mass community has a "Critical Mix" CD with the following songs on it:

Queen - Bicycle Race Kraftwerk - Tour de France Senor Coconut - Tour de France Shonen Knife -
Cycling is Fun Pink Floyd - Bike They Might Be Giants - Dirt Bike Henry Dacre's - Bicycle Built
for Two (a.k.a. Daisy)

(I'm shocked that "Brand New Key" isn't on the list.) Other CMs have their own mix CDs, which they
play on mobile sound systems towed on bike trailers.

=v= You can make all sorts of things *into* bike songs. Lots of rap songs these days are about
Raleigh Twenties, for example ("Roll Out," by Ludakris, for example, mentions "rollin' on Twenties"
in the chorus).

=v= Below is a great proto-rap song rewritten for the first Bikesummer (1999, in San
Francisco). <_Jym_>

"The Revolution Will Not Be Motorized" Lyrics by Larry Chinn With deepest apologies to Gil
Scott-Heron

You will not be able to drive thru, brother.

You will not be able to drive in, fill up, and cruise out. You will not be able to lose yourself on
the strip, Cruise the strip while taking calls on the cell. Because the revolution will not be
motorized.

The revolution will not be motorized.

The revolution will not be brought to you by Chevron With three levels of octane and free cups for
the kids. The revolution will not show you pictures of Henry Ford Blowing a bugle and leading a
charge of raging SUVs yearning to park at strip malls and walk only on concrete while dreaming
dreams of a better land with more free parking.

The revolution will not be brought to you by the stockholders of Royal Dutch Shell or Exxon. The
revolution will not put a tiger in your tank.

with more horsepower and less gas mileage. The revolution will not come with fine Corinthian
leather, because the revolution will not be motorized, Brother.

There will be no pictures of you and Willie Mays driving a stolen BMW down the block or trying to
fill your tank for under $1 per gallon. Now one will be able to predict the winner at any time or
report from countless severed neighborhoods yearning to throw off the weight of too much asphalt.

There will be no pictures of OJ riding in a white Ford Bronco in the instant replay. There will be
no pictures of OJ riding in a white Ford Bronco in the instant replay. There will be no pictures of
Michael Moore chasing the head of GM around with a microphone. There will be no slow motion or still
life of your car, or any car, rolling freely down an open road, carefree and happy.

BP, Exxon, Chevron, Shell, GM, Toyota, and all the rest will not longer be so damned relevant. No
one will care about the size of your engine, or your wheels, or your back seat because people will
be tearing up the asphalt, looking for a brighter day.

There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock news and no pictures of angry motorists and
cyclists fighting each other over a bit of roadway.

The theme song will not be written by the Ad men from Madison avenue and it will not have a catchy
phrase that tells you to buy a bigger house, further from everyone else.

The revolution will not roll down its power windows, light it's cigarette from the dash board, or
pollute your air with carbon monoxide. The revolution will not kill people for profit.

The revolution will not make war for oil. The revolution will not put you in the driver's seat. The
revolution will not be motorized, will not be motorized, will not be motorized, will not be
motorized. The revolution will not run on gasoline.

The revolution will live!

Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kristin Garau" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling
> > song that stands out to them
>
> Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer pleaseee.

tut tut! at least sing it right:

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do! I'm half crazy, all for the love of you! It won't be a
stylish marriage-- I can't afford a carriage-- But you'll look sweet Upon the seat Of a bicycle
built for two!

[I can afford neither a carriage nor a bicycle built for two....as to the marriage, this captain
hasn't found a stoker yet....]

-Luigi pedaling pedant

When I'm riding, I always think of Beethoven's 6th Symphony (the "Pastorale"), which is a musical
depiction of a day in the country. Also, the 1st movement of Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony (the
"Italian"), which was used to great effect in the movie "Breaking Away."

>Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling song
>that stands out to them whenever they think about getting on the bike, be it "Bicycle Race" by
>Queen or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits. I just got wondering what was the one
>that stuck in some of your minds. For me, it's "Cycling is Fun" by Shonen Knife (I'm listening to
>it as I type this!).
>
>Best to you, Kristin
>
>--
>Kristin Garau
>-----------------------------------------------
>www.mindspring.com/~garau
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Subject: songs about cycling Path:
>lobby!ngtf-m01.news.aol.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!newsfeed1!bredband!news.t
ele.dk!news.tele.dk!small.news.tele.dk!newsfeed.news2me.com!newsfeed2.eart
hlink.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!stamper.ne
ws.atl.earthlink.net!harp.n
>ews.atl.earthlink.net!not-for-mail From: "Kristin Garau" [email protected] Newsgroups:
>rec.bicycles.misc Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:51:33 -0400 Organization: MindSpring Enterprises Lines:
>18 Message-ID: <[email protected]> NNTP-Posting-Host: 41.38.d3.e6 X-Server-Date:
>27 Apr 2003 02:48:19 GMT

Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

"Bike" by (the original) Pink Floyd... SYD BARRET LIVES!

"Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> "Bike" by (the original) Pink Floyd... SYD BARRET LIVES!

"Bicycle Race" (aka "I want to ride my bicycle") by Queen The big advantage of records vs. CDs is
that bands can give away posters inside the record jacket.

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:51:33 -0400, <[email protected]>, "Kristin Garau"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey there. There's so many songs about cycling and I know everyone here must have some cycling song
>that stands out to them whenever they think about getting on the bike, be it "Bicycle Race" by
>Queen or "Empty Pockets and Broken Bicycles" by Tom Waits. I just got wondering what was the one
>that stuck in some of your minds. For me, it's "Cycling is Fun" by Shonen Knife (I'm listening to
>it as I type this!).
>
>Best to you, Kristin

It's not about bicycles or cycling, ignoring the popularity of discussions we've had regarding free
range canine, but I think the song resonates with the spirit of riding.

"If dogs run free, then why not we Across the swooping plain? My ears hear a symphony Of two mules,
trains and rain. The best is always yet to come, That's what they explain to me. Just do your thing,
you'll be king, If dogs run free."
. . .. http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/dogs.html
--
zk

"Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

...somewhere in Cambridgeshire with his mother, fried after too much acid.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

-L

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bicycle Race" (aka "I want to ride my bicycle") by Queen The big advantage of records vs. CDs is
> that bands can
give away posters
> inside the record jacket.

I still have that one. One day I'll frame it...

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>, "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> writes:
>

... and is still creative. Rumours of his burnt-out'ness have been greatly exaggerated.

But, maybe "Bike" was written/done by Waters? I dunno fer sher. I know he said he still likes to
sing it in the shower.

Y'know what's really great? This once-heard version of Grantchester Meadows, with Dave Gilmour & Roy
Harper, jamming together.

I wish I could find it somewhwere.

As for "Brand New Key" --

I don't know why Maria Muldar is so forgettable. Maybe some Kate Bush rubbed-off on her. Or
vice verso.

When I'm really in a go-to-hell mood, I just *luvs* "And You And I", by Yes. 'cause it puts me in a
more go-to-heaven mood. The Yessongs version is better than the studio album. Live is even better.

cheers, Tom

--