Sony Bike Radio ICF-M88B con't

Ron Hardin

Guest
I rearranged the real estate on the handlebars with the aid of
a pair of Space Grips from Nashbar, and installed my Sony bike radio
for an actual commute, now under my pair of eTrex GPS's and
Cateye HL1500 headlights.

1. It works okay if you're not going fast (wind noise) and there's
no traffic nearby (traffic noise).

2. AM is susceptible to GPS noise (loud station can overcome it),
and Taylor digital thermometer noise (like a digital electric fence).

3. You can't hear AM stations to your right and left owing to a null
in the internal loop antenna. FM seems to be directional too, but
I haven't figured out the pattern.

4. There's nothing on the radio you want to listen to.

It's more or less ideal for hauling a trailer with a large dog in it
up a steep hill, where speeds are low and you're otherwise going to
get bored with the scenery.
--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

>Subject: Sony Bike Radio ICF-M88B con't
>From: Ron Hardin [email protected]
>Date: 8/12/2004 11:25 AM US Eastern Standard Time
>
>I rearranged the real estate on the handlebars with the aid of
>a pair of Space Grips from Nashbar, and installed my Sony bike radio
>for an actual commute, now under my pair of eTrex GPS's and
>Cateye HL1500 headlights.
>
>1. It works okay if you're not going fast (wind noise) and there's
>no traffic nearby (traffic noise).
>
>2. AM is susceptible to GPS noise (loud station can overcome it),
>and Taylor digital thermometer noise (like a digital electric fence).
>
>3. You can't hear AM stations to your right and left owing to a null
>in the internal loop antenna. FM seems to be directional too, but
>I haven't figured out the pattern.
>
>4. There's nothing on the radio you want to listen to.
>
>It's more or less ideal for hauling a trailer with a large dog in it
>up a steep hill, where speeds are low and you're otherwise going to
>get bored with the scenery.
>--
>Ron Hardin
>[email protected]
>
>On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Too bad it doesn't have a more sophisticated bike computer and an mp3 player. I
was listening to talk shows, but got too annoyed with the AM..better to suffer
some popular music and never have to touch the radio or hear static.

Fx199 wrote:
> Too bad it doesn't have a more sophisticated bike computer and an mp3 player. I
> was listening to talk shows, but got too annoyed with the AM..better to suffer
> some popular music and never have to touch the radio or hear static.

I'd like an audio in jack, to plug a player into and use their speaker. I have
a RadioYourWay every day with Imus on it that I could easily listen to.

I disabled the bike computer by putting electrical tape over the contacts on
the mount (they surely must get dirty pretty quickly, incidentally. Maybe
some DeoxiT brush-on would prevent it, the universal contact fixer). I have
plenty of computer in the two GPS's.
--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]