Sora 8sp vs ST-2200

I'm looking to convert my 8 speed friction shift Shimano system to
Brifters (road bike). I see 2 models, the Sora 8sp and the ST-2200.
What does the Sora give me for the extra $?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:45:04 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I'm looking to convert my 8 speed friction shift Shimano system to
>Brifters (road bike). I see 2 models, the Sora 8sp and the ST-2200.
>What does the Sora give me for the extra $?

I know from experience that Sora is reliable. My suspicion is that the lower
grade ones are a step too cheap.

Ron

On 2007-08-13, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking to convert my 8 speed friction shift Shimano system to
> Brifters (road bike). I see 2 models, the Sora 8sp and the ST-2200.
> What does the Sora give me for the extra $?

Sora (and I'm guessing cheaper) brifters work well byt have a design
flaw, in that the down shift toggles are too small and you can't shift
comfortably from the drops.

If you can stretch the budget I'd go for the Tiagra brifters, if you can
find them in 8 spd, they're much more comfortable to use.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On Aug 13, 3:11 pm, Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-08-13, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to convert my 8 speed friction shift Shimano system to
> > Brifters (road bike). I see 2 models, the Sora 8sp and the ST-2200.
> > What does the Sora give me for the extra $?

> Sora (and I'm guessing cheaper) brifters work well byt have a design
> flaw, in that the down shift toggles are too small and you can't shift
> comfortably from the drops.
>
> If you can stretch the budget I'd go for the Tiagra brifters, if you can
> find them in 8 spd, they're much more comfortable to use.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel
>
> --
> Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
> [email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes
> (03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centrewww.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction

There's a new 8-speeder called RST500, which has the downshift paddles
behind the brake levers. Someone mentioned they might be relabeled
RX100, which were good brifters.