Sora & Bar bag

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sam Salt, May 29, 2003.

  1. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    I have an Ortlieb Ultimate 3 bar bag and Sora STI.When the bar bag is fitted and I come to flick the
    brake levers to change gear, the levers are prevented from moving to their full extent as the bar
    bag is in the way.On the Ortlieb site is a ' Mounting set for enlargement of the Ultimate 3 fixing
    system ' which look just the job for moving the bag forwards to clear the levers.has anyone used
    these devices or are there any other ways that anyone has used to get round the problem.

    The devices can be seen at http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=u3class#

    Click on ' Add Ons '

    Thanks,

    Sam Salt

    ---

  2. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    "Sam Salt" [email protected] said:

    >the levers are prevented from moving to their full extent as the bar bag is in the way.
    >are there any other ways that anyone has used to get round the problem.

    Campag Ergos.

    You know they make sense.

    John

  3. andy_welch

    andy_welch New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    They do indeed and if you have 8 speed Sora you can just swap them for a modern 10 speed ergo shifter and you are done. No need to change anything else since modern 10 speed campag ergos pull the same amount of cable per click as the old shimano 8 speed. Of course you have two redundant clicks, but once you've adjusted the set screws you'll never know they are there.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  4. Peter Storey

    Peter Storey Guest

    [email protected] (SabineUK) wrote in message news:<200[email protected]>...
    > "Sam Salt" [email protected] said:
    >
    > >the levers are prevented from moving to their full extent as the bar bag is in the way.
    > >are there any other ways that anyone has used to get round the problem.
    >
    > Campag Ergos.
    >
    > You know they make sense.
    >
    > John

    I could understand this if the issue were the usual one of wedging a bag between Shimano's flying
    buttress shifter cables, but that's not what the OP said. Or even if the problem were that the bag
    somehow blocks the arc of the return (inside)lever on "standard" STI, but not the main lever. But
    Sora has a thumb-button return (like ERGO).

    So why do we think an ERGO brifter would work any better? Does the ERGO lever use a smaller arc for
    each click?

    Sounds like wider HBars are in order. A pain to swap out, but given how far "up and out" most modern
    barbags are carried, I'd hate to push one any further out front.

    Peter Storey