Sora & Bar bag

Sam Salt

Guest
I have an Ortlieb Ultimate 3 bar bag and Sora STI.When the bar bag is fitted and I come to flick the
brake levers to change gear, the levers are prevented from moving to their full extent as the bar
bag is in the way.On the Ortlieb site is a ' Mounting set for enlargement of the Ultimate 3 fixing
system ' which look just the job for moving the bag forwards to clear the levers.has anyone used
these devices or are there any other ways that anyone has used to get round the problem.

The devices can be seen at http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=u3class#

Click on ' Add Ons '

Thanks,

Sam Salt

---

"Sam Salt" [email protected] said:

>the levers are prevented from moving to their full extent as the bar bag is in the way.
>are there any other ways that anyone has used to get round the problem.

Campag Ergos.

You know they make sense.

John

Originally posted by Sabineuk

Campag Ergos.

You know they make sense.

They do indeed and if you have 8 speed Sora you can just swap them for a modern 10 speed ergo shifter and you are done. No need to change anything else since modern 10 speed campag ergos pull the same amount of cable per click as the old shimano 8 speed. Of course you have two redundant clicks, but once you've adjusted the set screws you'll never know they are there.

Cheers,

Andy

[email protected] (SabineUK) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Sam Salt" [email protected] said:
>
> >the levers are prevented from moving to their full extent as the bar bag is in the way.
> >are there any other ways that anyone has used to get round the problem.
>
> Campag Ergos.
>
> You know they make sense.
>
> John

I could understand this if the issue were the usual one of wedging a bag between Shimano's flying
buttress shifter cables, but that's not what the OP said. Or even if the problem were that the bag
somehow blocks the arc of the return (inside)lever on "standard" STI, but not the main lever. But
Sora has a thumb-button return (like ERGO).

So why do we think an ERGO brifter would work any better? Does the ERGO lever use a smaller arc for
each click?

Sounds like wider HBars are in order. A pain to swap out, but given how far "up and out" most modern
barbags are carried, I'd hate to push one any further out front.

Peter Storey