Sora Front Shifters or Derailer-Newbie Needs help

vchu7105

May 31, 2005
Trek 1000, Year 2005

I've had a problem with the front shifter or Derailer. I am new to road biking. When I shift (front Gears) down I always miss the middle gear and When I shift back up I miss the middle gears. I think the problem is when I shift down, I push the brakes in all the way, or when I shift up I push the lever down all the way. Should i just be pushing the brake or Lever just a bit to get to the middle gear? The Trek Dealor says I've been shifting all wrong. I should be only pushing the brake in just a bit or the lever just a bit to hit the middle gear. Does that sound right?

Doesn't sound right. Get your dealer to mount the bike in a trainer in his shop and show you what you are doing wrong. If he can't get it to shift properly, then you'll be able to convince him to make the adjustments that are needed. If he does get it to shift properly without making any adjustments, ask him to demonstrate so that you can learn how to make it work. It should shift smoothly with little effort. I suspect it needs some adjustment.

I have the Sora with a triple front. It needed an adjustment after the first month. 3500 miles later it still finds the gears effortlessly.

Good luck

i have a 2005 trek 1000 and the front derailleur is a piece of junk. i had similar problems and adjustments seemed to fix them but they always came back. your best bet is to get a 105 or ultegra triple braze on front derailleur and just have your local bike shop swap it out for you.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=83&subcategory=1037&brand=&sku=8096

oh and one more thing, it's not a sora front derailleur. it's something like a 2203 (can't remember exactly what it's called) but it's definitely lower than sora.

If its truely giving you the problems you say then something is wrong. Your problem may not be in the derailer (2203) it could be in the shifter (could be pilot error:)). Your dealer is correct in that you dont need to move the brake lever/thumb lever its full travel distance to move one chainring. Work with it some on level ground (parking lots work well for this) pedaling slowly. Try moving the brake lever/thumb lever half of the full travel distance and see what this gets you. Then bracket from there (if needed) and see if you can get it to shift the way you think it should. Sora does not have ratcheting like Ultegra or Dura-Ace so setting it up properly is harder. It will get off with use as will all that use SS cables because they stretch when new.

mdbrown said:
i have a 2005 trek 1000 and the front derailleur is a piece of junk. i had similar problems and adjustments seemed to fix them but they always came back. your best bet is to get a 105 or ultegra triple braze on front derailleur and just have your local bike shop swap it out for you.

oh and one more thing, it's not a sora front derailleur. it's something like a 2203 (can't remember exactly what it's called) but it's definitely lower than sora.
It's not allways the fix to throw more money at the problem . If this is the solution then go all the way and put Dura-Ace on it. You are correct with the 2203. 1000's should have Sora shifters, 2203 front, and Tiagra rear. This combo should work fine if set up properly. You will also get stretch with SS cables and it will need adjusting a couple of times, on any set of components, all the way up to Dura-Ace or Campy.