Sora Groupset?

senator52

Mar 25, 2006
Does anyone think that a Sora Groupset on an OCR3 will be enough for some serious training? I'm looking to take up the sport in the future maybe but want to buy a bike now that would give me a chance to go in some social racing. I wont be doing anything to serious but would I be better looking at a higher spec Giant like OCR2 for durability and competitiveness?

I've never heard of social racing. I'd say go with the OCR 1 as a first bike. When you want a better bike later you can put panniers on it and make it a great commuter / shopping bike.

I'd stay away from Sora. If you're just starting off and are just getting into it, I'd recommend Shimano 105 components. It's cheap and will get the job done. I recommend looking at Trek's line. Check out the Pilot 1.2. It has 105 derailleurs with a bontrager triple crankset. You could swap the triple for a double if you really wanted to. The msrp is somewhere just under $1k. If your LBS will knock a little off you may find a pretty nice bike compared to a Giant with Sora.

senator52 said:
Does anyone think that a Sora Groupset on an OCR3 will be enough for some serious training? I'm looking to take up the sport in the future maybe but want to buy a bike now that would give me a chance to go in some social racing. I wont be doing anything to serious but would I be better looking at a higher spec Giant like OCR2 for durability and competitiveness?
:) OCR2 is better than OCR3 , so just go to buy the OCR2.

If you're looking at basic road bike componentry, you really want to try to get at least Tiagra (the spec level one above Sora). A few reasons:

* Tiagra is a 9-speed system, Sora is 8
* they have 'proper' STI levers (with the two paddles, one inside the brake lever); Sora has the brake/shift lever and a 'horn' thingy you toggle down.
* Tiagra is a good little trooper of a groupset that is cheap and still shifts nicely. If your budget can't stretch to 105, Tiagra is still damn good for training and social riding.

So I guess that means I'd recommend the OCR 2. :) It's good enough for training and trying out a race or two, while still not being super expensive either. (If you could stretch -- or do a deal -- to get a 105 equipped bike, all the better.)

And if you DO get bit by the racing bug, most likely you'll end up justifying to yourself, you really do need that shiny race bike made out of carbon-unobtainium alloy etc ;) leaving your trusty OCR for commuting, bad weather riding, or what have you.

Thanx, I'm thinking that it sounds necessary to at least get an OCR2 if I want to try racing out. My friend has an OCR3 and is wanting to start(he already does triathlon on it). It would be great to race with him, but being a full-time student the budget is tight, but, I'll need the bike to last for some years to come, with university debt. Would this suggest that I should even look higher than the OCR2 and more at the OCR1 or should the OCR2 give me enough bang for my buck?

Ah this is where the buying decision gets difficult...

You could spend more now on a 105 equipped bike that is even better able to handle higher stress (shifting under load, etc.) and last longer, but it means paying more now.

But then again, in the time frame of several years of regular use, you could view the drivetrain as a 'consumable' (it's gonna wear out someday) so you could plan to upgrade the groupset a number of years down the track, as it wears out (and you get better at cycling)

But taking that idea to the next step, it might make sense to buy a really good frameset now (which may mean compromising a on the drivetrain), so you have a frame 'well worth' keeping for a while, so when you do upgrade it'll be a real ripper of a bike ...

But that will probably also end up expensive. You could just get the OCR1 or whatever now, which will be great for your foreseeable needs, and if/when I do feel the need to upgrade in the years ahead, I could always sell it and get that super-space-grade-unobtainium bike.. and after cycling for a good little while you'll know exactly what you want.

help help going around in circles :p see what I mean by difficult :)

What's an example of a bike that has a "really good frameset" but comprimises with an average groupset? I'm guessing that groupset would be a Sora? If I was to go the more direct route like an OCR1, which is probably an easier option for a beginner to the world of road cycling, do you have any other recommended alternatives in a close price bracket? I have heard that the Specialized Allez is a good purchase as well...but I haven't been able to find a LBS that stocks their range. I'm hearing that it is probably a good idea to keep in contact with your LBS and form a relationship. Utimately which will benefit both parties:)

senator52 said:
What's an example of a bike that has a "really good frameset" but comprimises with an average groupset? I'm guessing that groupset would be a Sora?
I sort of went for this option when I bought my first road bike. I was looking at buying either a Giant OCR1 or TCR2, but found that I somehow fell in the gap between their "medium" and "large" sizes and couldn't get comfortable on either.

Sooo, went to another LBS and saw they had some really nice Cannondale bikes on close-out special (frames were the same as what they were racing in the Tour de France the year before). They were about the same price as the TCR2, but with a Tiagra/105 groupset mix instead of a full 105 or 105/Ultegra mix and a few other component differences.

Well, great, I got the Cannondale (and managed to talk them into upgrading it into a full 105 group), rode it for about three years and then the "new" 10-speed Ultegra group came out. The long-planned upgrade itch started to itch really bad, so upgraded the groupset and got some new wheels too while I was at it. It was like a brand new bike, the shifting was soo crisp, and the wheels made it accelerate like nothing else (and it already went like a rocket beforehand)

Then no more than six months later I was offered a full day test-ride of a prototype Cannondale were making, the Synapse long-distance road bike (which was the kind of road riding I found I liked the most), absolutely LOVED the bike, ordered one on the spot, with a bit of wheeling and dealing to sort out the pricing of course ;)

... oh bugger, there went that whole long-term-upgrade idea. :p

If I was to go the more direct route like an OCR1, which is probably an easier option for a beginner to the world of road cycling, do you have any other recommended alternatives in a close price bracket? I have heard that the Specialized Allez is a good purchase as well...but I haven't been able to find a LBS that stocks their range.
Most reputable bike brands will have a range of road bikes that include something similar to an OCR2 or an OCR1, at a price that's in the same ballpark. Something like a nicely-put-together mass produced aluminium frame (perhaps not the lightest, or stiffest, or most 'electric' feeling, but good quality) with a Tiagra or 105 groupset, carbon fork, and a basic wheelset (like the frameset, high enough quality not to fall to pieces, but not really light either)

You'll also notice that some brands, at the same price-point, will have their own take on the component vs. frameset compromise. e.g. a Giant OCR offers an incredibly good component spec for the price, whereas others like say a Giant TCR or Cannondale will offer less component wise but net you a better frame (in the latter case, it's an utterly top notch handmade in the U.S. frame)

Specialized is distributed by Avanti, so if you find an LBS that stocks Avanti they should be able to get Specialized bikes in as well. (and they may also have some on the floor to demo too)

Damn you know heaps:D , thanx for all the advice. Fast tracking my quieries which I seem to impulsively forget everytime I go near a bike store. (Think its coz they real look down their noses a people on a tight budget). I'm sure I'll have another question that is killing me in the next few days but heaps of thanx for the heads up.:)

senator52 said:
(Think its coz they real look down their noses a people on a tight budget).
I do hope that this is just your impression, and not the real attitude of the LBS. If they do look down their nose at you for being on a budget, look elsewhere.

I have spent about $300 total at my LBS, but they know me when I walk in... and talk to me about how my prior purchases are working out.

I hope to buy my first new road bike from them later this year... and it matches closely with your direction, I am looking at an OCR2, having previously thought an OCR3 would be my choice. Perhaps by the time I buy, I will look at the OCR1, or my budget will be tighter, and it will be an OCR3. :)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the OCR3 with Sora components if my budget wouldn't allow me to move up to the OCR2... but think that the cost of the upgrade is justified for me.

I was looking at getting a Giant from one of my LBS and I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Personally, I think Giant sells quality bikes but I think their prices are too high. They seem to not put whole groupos on bikes. They like to mix and match components like putting some 105 and some ultegra on there. I wasn't a huge fan of that. I wanted something with all of the same groupo. Luckily, I found a team to race with and got a screaming deal on my Madone but I still think Trek's line will find you the best deal on something you're looking at. The OCR2 is somewhere just under the $1k range and as I pointed out before, I think the Pilot 1.2 would be good for you.

I assume your budget is around $1000. Here's what I did for wifey's birthday:

Just after the first of the year, I called bike shops in the San Francisco area that carried the bike I was after. I got a $1000 OCR1 for $800. cast a wider net, and see what you can reel in. You can always go back to the LBS and tell them the deal you can get in the next town. They might match it.

senator52 said:
Have you thought about Specialized. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12389&bikeTab=techspec

$1200 suggested retail but you can probably get it for $1000 - $1099 at a bike shop.

CLick on the Red\White under the bike to see in that color combo.

lwedge said:
Have you thought about Specialized. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12389&bikeTab=techspec

$1200 suggested retail but you can probably get it for $1000 - $1099 at a bike shop.

CLick on the Red\White under the bike to see in that color combo.
I bought a FELT F60, Full Ultegra for AUD2000 a month ago. I am sure you can get a great deal with Felt. They're cheaper than Giant, and the Frames are high quality (like all frames in that price range really). And in my opinion, the Felt Traditional Geometry is beyond comparison with Giant's compact geometry, especially if you are on the larger side of the spectrum when it comes to body size (I am 5' 10 or larger).

I had looked at a Allez and asked anyone if they had riden one, and how they liked it in comparison to other bikes of a similar price range. However as of yet nobody can tell me anything about the bike:( . Though I have been considering it because the componentry seems good for the price bracket. I just hope that doesnt mean they've cut corners on the frame:confused: .

Does the Pilot 1.2 come in a drop bar version? Plus what is the difference between the Trek 1000 and the compact Pilot 1.2? What difference does this make? Would a compact frame be bad for me because I am six foot tall? Thanx:confused:

senator52 said:
Does the Pilot 1.2 come in a drop bar version? Plus what is the difference between the Trek 1000 and the compact Pilot 1.2? What difference does this make? Would a compact frame be bad for me because I am six foot tall? Thanx:confused:
It depends on body proportion, and not just height. If you have long legs and a short torso, the fit will be much different than if you have short legs and a long torso. I am 6'0" with only a 30" inseam (short legs, long torso), so I need an entirely different geometry than someone who is 6'0" with a 34" inseam.

senator52 said:
Trek makes a Pilot 1.2 in drop bar and in flat bar. The drop version is around $1k (msrp). The Trek 1000 will come with Tiagra whereas the 1.2 comes with 105 (big jump). You may want to consider the Trek 1200 if you still can't afford the Pilot 1.2. The 1200 is similar but about $100-200 cheaper. Can't comment on geometry, sorry.