sora sucks

koremitsu

Sep 20, 2004
i have a tiagra group on my bike, and the front derailleur is sora. it sucks so much. its so difficult to shift back up once i have gone down for climbing. i pla to eventually upgrade the whole thing to at least 105, but if i buy a tiagra front derailleur, is there any info i need to know about the part as far as size? im still a beginner so im a little clueless about the parts.

thanks

you have to know nothing. because both derailleurs uses the same assembly brace to the frame. Of course you have to look if you have a double or a triple crankset

koremitsu said:
i have a tiagra group on my bike, and the front derailleur is sora. it sucks so much. its so difficult to shift back up once i have gone down for climbing.
Doesn't happen on mine. Just needs a little adjustment maybe? Even a Dura-Ace will be crappy if not adjusted properly.

e_guevara said:
Doesn't happen on mine. Just needs a little adjustment maybe? Even a Dura-Ace will be crappy if not adjusted properly.
Not quite as terrible as Tiagra or Sora.

The Cheetah said:
Not quite as terrible as Tiagra or Sora.
A badly adjusted derailer is a badly adjusted derailer. And bad adjustment suck ALOT worse than what logo is on it.

You need to know what clamp diameter your seat tube takes when you replace your FD if it's a clamp type. If you have a braze-on type FD you'll need to know that.

boudreaux said:
A badly adjusted derailer is a badly adjusted derailer. And bad adjustment suck ALOT worse than what logo is on it.
Hmmmm...that's true but Sora and Tiagra even 105 will totally go out of tune faster than DA.

The Cheetah said:
Hmmmm...that's true but Sora and Tiagra even 105 will totally go out of tune faster than DA.
Oh really?? What's your source of that?

The Cheetah said:
Duh? Have more than a thousand kilometers on mine and haven't touched it once since I installed it. I ride on poor (lots of bumps, potholes) to good (paved cement/asphalt) which really shakes the bike.

Gears and drivetrain are only as good as the weakest link

What about the quality of the cables?

If you have poor cables which are not stable (stretching over time) It won't stay in tune, and shift quality will degrade, no matter what the group level is.

Mike

e_guevara said:
Duh? Have more than a thousand kilometers on mine and haven't touched it once since I installed it. I ride on poor (lots of bumps, potholes) to good (paved cement/asphalt) which really shakes the bike.

Well, I hate to tell you, but one bike with with limited miles on it doesn't really say much. I have two bikes with DA components. One has been flawless for almost a year, the other is less than 3 months old and has been been back to the shop 4 times for adjustment. What does that mean?

A front derailleur is basically a metal cage pushing the chain L and R. OK throw in a spring, limit screws, mount, etc, but basically very simple mechanism. I'm failing to see how the heck a DA derailleur (shifter out of the equation) can push the chain L/R through it's range any more effectively?

Sure it might weigh a couple grams less (spit once or twice and you've saved as much). Sure there is the label/bling. That's it.

Friction in the cables/routing are another thing, changing out the derailluer wouldn't impact that unless the cables were replaced or adjusted.

gruppo said:
Well, I hate to tell you, but one bike with with limited miles on it doesn't really say much. I have two bikes with DA components. One has been flawless for almost a year, the other is less than 3 months old and has been been back to the shop 4 times for adjustment. What does that mean?

Well, that's just it - even a DA will suck if not done correctly. I have another bike with a lot more mileage on it and haven't had problems with the FD (yet). It's not the logo on the derailleur (quoting boudreaux).

mikeg, I used the cable that came with the Sora STIs. IMO, Shimano would not have bundled them if they weren't fit for use.

I have a friend who did 14 000 km with Sora last season and the only problem he has with it is that he must adjust it every few weeks!

My sora has been great for 18 months and 3000+ miles. It came with a newly pruchased bike. I had it adjusted 1 month after I bought it because I suspect the new cables stretched. It hasn't been a problem since then.

Get a reliable LBS to adjust it and let us know if it fixed the sucking. :rolleyes: