Sore Achilles

medegraa

Guest
Hi all,

I have been suffering of late with a sore Achilles tendon in my right
leg when I ride. It started a week or so ago. My left Achilles does
not bother me. I'm trying to figure out what is going on. I haven't
changed anything on my bike.

Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this? Should I rest
it? I have been riding about a 100 miles per week. I have my first
century coming up in about a month and am concerned this nagging pain
could be a concern.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

"medegraa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have been suffering of late with a sore Achilles tendon in my right
> leg when I ride. It started a week or so ago. My left Achilles does
> not bother me. I'm trying to figure out what is going on. I haven't
> changed anything on my bike.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this? Should I rest
> it? I have been riding about a 100 miles per week. I have my first
> century coming up in about a month and am concerned this nagging pain
> could be a concern.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike.

I would say stay off it for two weeks. Ibuprofen and your favorite liquor
does wonders too. Will calm you athletic hyper types down so you can stay
on your back.
But not on a bike. Stop riding but do leg exercises with the other leg
which you would do to train off the bike. Some training effect is passed
through to the other leg due to the brain connection. Works with people in
casts. I would check a medical site to see what is the recommended mending
time for that injury.

Hope you make the meet
cheers

On Aug 20, 8:43 pm, "smn" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "medegraa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi all,

> > I have been suffering of late with a sore Achilles tendon in my right
> > leg when I ride. It started a week or so ago. My left Achilles does
> > not bother me. I'm trying to figure out what is going on. I haven't
> > changed anything on my bike.

> > Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this? Should I rest
> > it? I have been riding about a 100 miles per week. I have my first
> > century coming up in about a month and am concerned this nagging pain
> > could be a concern.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Mike.

> I would say stay off it for two weeks. Ibuprofen and your favorite liquor
> does wonders too. Will calm you athletic hyper types down so you can stay
> on your back.

You might also try moving the cleat on your shoe back a bit (towards
the heal). Back in the days of toe-clips I developed a sore achilles
tendon shortly after getting some new clips. Turned out the clips
were a few mm shorter than my old ones and therefore moved my feet
back a little on the pedals. That caused enough extra strain to make
my achilles tendon very sore on longer rides. Switching back to
longer toe-clips solved the problem.